“Renovation falls short of hype”

Handlery Hotel San Diego
Ranked #126 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
los angeles,ca
“Renovation falls short of hype”
Reviewed March 27, 2010

If not for the renovation special, there are better bargains to be had.
Hotel occupancy was at best 30% yet no bargaining power for paying extra for a room facing the pool, as opposed to viewing the freeway, and extra for having a balcony.
A cheap modern renovation but still better than most on hotel circle.
I sleept on the floor because I was sinking in the renovated bed.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
GenMgrSanDiego_CA, Genral Manager at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, March 29, 2010
Thank you for your comments, I am sorry that you didn't find the beds comfortable as they are new as well, we have had very good feedback on the bed, the new new linen and the overall renovation itself. The week of the 27th we actually ran an occupancy of 80% to 93 % as a large group was in town for a conference so the availability of Premier rooms may have been limited. I would like you to give us a another chance so if your travels find you in San Diego please contact me directly so I can handle your reservation personally.
Respectfully,
Peter M. Lassalette

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
southern california
Reviewed March 24, 2010

The room was nice and clean.I appreciated the kindness of the staff. Rooms look exactly like the pictures. Reviewers complain about size of bathroom, but i think it was just fine. Overall the beds were comfortable the room was clean and newly refurbished, nice furniture and nice flat screen tv. Bedding was nice and new and fashionable. Nice and cozy room! Good rate also for
San Diego.Only downfall is close to freeway and a bit of noise. A three plus hotel!
s

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank hpytravler3
GenMgrSanDiego_CA, General Manager at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, March 29, 2010
Thank you for your response regarding the renovation. We are very proud of our new product and are glad you enjoyed your stay. If your travels find you in San Diego or San Francisco please contact us again. The staff and I welcome you back soon!
Pete Lassalette
new bern, nc
Reviewed March 22, 2010

The Handlery was 95% renovated when we entered. They've done a nice job on the rooms, though they are a bit on the small side with bathrooms that make you feel like you're in an airplane. Beds and pillows are comfortable and A/C works well. If you want internet access, you'll pay $10/day unless you have a poolside room. Local calls are 75 cents for the first hour, 5 cents a minute after that. If you choose to eat breakfast in their dining room, you'll pay ala carte prices, and they're not cheap. Plan on spending about $18/person for breakfast, and it could possibly be more. You won't find complimentary fruit or cookies in a bowl by the front desk either. When we checked out the following morning, breaking a 5-day reservation, the clerk asked why. I told her we were upset with so many hidden charges, especially for internet access. She replied, "Why didn't you say something? I could have given you a free access code." If she could have given us a free access code, why didn't she? And what about the guests who have already paid the fee? is it fair to them that others who complained got for free what they paid for? We both had a very bad taste in our mouths with this place. We went to the Hampton, Sea world, where we were treated like guests, not objects to be milked.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, I am sorry that you felt we have too many hidden fees for our guests. Yes we do charge a flat rate $9.95 per day for in room internet use. 95% of our competition charges for internet use as well as it is simply too expensive to host and keep our room rates competitive with other hotels in the valley. Regarding your phone charges, again it is customary to charge for phone calls when calling from your guest room. After reading your review I went back and analyzed our breakfast menu which you stated was too expensive, our average breakfast price is $11.50, yes it could be more expensive depending on the additional sides you order but available if the guest chooses to order additional items. We hope that if any guest has an issue that they would bring it to our attention prior to checking out, though the response from our front desk agent was not ideal, we could have offered other options to you. if your travels bring you back to San Diego please contact me directly as I would like an opportunity to redeem ourselves.
Respectfully,
Peter M. Lassalette
Cleveland
Reviewed February 25, 2010

Stayed here with my girlfriend while she attended a conference. While the rooms were clean and the staff friendly, I felt the hotel was lacking. Had a room overlooking the pool with a balcony. No furniture on the balcony. Smallest bathroom I have seen in a long time. No spa, no guest laundry, pay parking, pay internet. I think the most annoying thing was the music coming from the pool area, which I could hear even when the doors were shut. Restaurant was average.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
GenMgrSanDiego_CA, General Manager at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, March 11, 2010
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay, I am truly sorry that we did not "impress you" as we have just come out of a nearly 4 million dollar renovation and our very proud of our property. I do apologize for no furniture on the balcony and that the guest laundry was out of order as the equipment had not arrived yet prior to our re-opening. Regarding parking, we are the least expensive hotel in the Mission Valley for overnight parking, 90% of the hotels charge their guests to park. We do have an Enterprise rent a car located in the lobby for our guests that would like to rent a car on a day by day basis. We do not offer spa / massage therapy at this time but are looking at adding this amenity in the future. Currently located across the street is a very nice day spa and we are more than happy to arrange an appointment for our guests. We do have a new fitness room and the jacuzzi located by the pool is extremely relaxing. Again I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay, if your travels find you in Southern California again please contact me directly as I would appreciate the opportunity to redeem ourselves.
Pete Lassalette
Kirkcaldy
Reviewed November 27, 2009

I worried myself sick about staying here Nov 14 - 17 because of the reviews of others despite having briefly stayed here in Mar 2003. I should have trusted my own views. We arrived late on Saturday evening and check in was very polite and helpful. We got a king size room over looking car park and freeway. Luckily my husband and I don't mind traffic noise. The aircon in most hotel rooms drowns out everything else. Room was clean and comfortable. Bathroom was a little small but you only use it one at a time. The hotel was very empty waiting to close for renovation but staff in Postcards for breakfast and Jeff (?) the courtesy bus driver were great. We didn't have a hire car and managed with this bus and the trolleys and buses to and from Fashion Valley Mall. It is not downtown and not at the beach but for the cost of a UK Premier Inn it is perfect for a short break. Thank you Handlery management and staff and best wishes for reopening.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank marionspence
HandleryHotelsMgr, owner at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, December 19, 2009
Dear MarionSpence
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Handlery Hotel and Resort. I apologize for the air conditioning problem you experienced and the noise from the car park. We have already begun our renovations to the hotel and will be addressing the airconditioning units in all rooms. In addition to new bed linens, furniture, ergonomic chairs and flat screen televisions, we will be double paneing all guest rooms that overlook the car park. Thank you again for your feed back and for staying at the Handlery.

Jon S. Handlery
President, Handlery Hotels
melbourne
Reviewed November 17, 2009

It was a late arrival after a long drive from Los Angeles, heavy suitcases...and NO elevators.....bit of a down side getting up to the room. Room furnishings were very outdated, but clean. Balcony room overlooking the pool area which was beautifully lit overnight and very inviting for an outer city hotel. Handy shop and tour desks for planning day trips, etc. Only ate breakfast here, but the fruit platter was worthy of a picture but I ate it before that could happen. Staff were helpful and friendly. If your in San Diego to see the sights of the city, then unless you like driving and are familiar with the roads I would suggest this might not be the place for you. There is a local bus service that can get you in and out of town for $5.00 a day ( hop on/off ) , but I personally did not use the service. A very large shopping centre/mall within walking distance with a large food hall is another alternative for eating close by.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
HandleryHotelsMgr, General Manager, Pete Lassalette at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, November 17, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your stay with us. I am sorry about the inconvenience of no elevator. In your future stays with us, please allow our bell service to do the heavy lifting. We truly do want your stay to be comfortable.

I am glad you are aware of our renovation. Handlery Hotel & Resort is very excited to re-open next February with 4 star accommodations at 3.5 star prices. We look forward to any future visits you might plan with us.
Bedford
Reviewed November 16, 2009

I had a package including breakfast and parking whilst visitg a convention locally. The hotel is "mature" but renovation is promised soon. The room itself was fine but the windows were loose and let in a lot of traffic noise as it looked over the car park to freeway. The american breakfast package was limted with no substitions and the waiter was rather rude when pointing that out. Could have been a language difficulty, other wise the staff were well motivated and polite. Free parking was a bonus!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
HandleryHotelsMgr, General Manager, Pete Lassalette at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, November 18, 2009
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our guests stay and welcome your input . I would like to share with you that part of our multi-million dollor renovation includes double paning our windows to lesson outside noise. This renovation will be complete Feb - 2010. We look forward to any future stays you might have with us.