“The Best Place I have EVER stayed!!!”

Handlery Hotel San Diego
Ranked #134 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed August 28, 2006

I had to write something to tell everyone what a great place this is!! I took my daughter to San Diego on vacation and booked this Hotel online, I had not known anything about it before. I really can't say enough about how WONDERFUL everyone was there! The staff was excellent the Hotel was always clean the room smelled so fresh everyday. I never saw one bug and any dirt . ( I am known by my family and friends as a VERY fussy person when it comes to being clean) and the truth is I really hate staying in Hotels but, staying at the Handelry changed my opinion. If I am ever fortunate enough again to go back to San Diego I will stay at the Handelry. Please feel free to email me and ask me any questions about our stay there! @justgk7@yahoo.com
PS~ Thanks to all of the housekeeping staff who replenished my extreme daily towel usage!! And thanks to all of the front desk clecks who always made printed and or hand written directions to everywhere we wanted to go (and could'nt figure out how to get there!)
G.R.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank justgk
There are newer reviews for Handlery Hotel San Diego

Reviewed August 9, 2006

The Handlery Hotel in San Diego gives you a feeling of being in a resort----it's adjacent to a golf course and the pool area is very nicely done. The rooms were very clean and quiet. It took us a couple of calls to get a rollaway bed but it arrived by the time we needed it. They charge $10 for parking for some reason. Parking doesn't seem to be a problem in the area. They advertise the trolley as being steps away when in fact it's about a 15 minute walk. Drive to the station and park in the mall. It's about a 15 minute trolley ride to downtown SD and 10 minutes to Old Town where all the good Mexican restaurants are located. You're supposed to pay for a ticket on the trolley but no one ever asked for ours nor did they seem to care if we had one.

3  Thank Fender57
Reviewed August 1, 2006

We stayed at the Handlery for a week in July. We found the staff friendly and helpful. Good breakfasts in the Postcards restaurant, and evening meals not too bad either. The rooms were clean, but a tiny bathroom, couldn't swing a cat! The hotel is located on a main freeway, so we hired a car for the week to be able to get around. The bus outside the hotel doesn't go straight to the beaches, the trolley service 5 minutes walk down the road also doesn't drop off at any beaches so if it is a beach holiday you want I would recommend choosing a hotel next to the beaches. In all a good week.

Stayed: July 2006
2  Thank neontetra
Reviewed July 24, 2006

Some of the reviews may be true about The Handlery Hotel but during the 9 nights my wife and I + our best friends stayed there, we only experienced nice, clean and quiet rooms, a very helpful reception, great pool with plenty of towels and great food at the Postcards Restaurant. Yes, parking is a bit expensive (the price is now USD 10 per day), but you can easily pay that extra money for a room at another hotel that has free parking, so it's a matter of how you see it. Overall we and our friends were very satisfied, so I gladly give them 4 out of 5 points.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with friends
4  Thank Tranbjerg
Reviewed July 23, 2006

My family and I were visiting San Diego for two days and needed a hotel that was close enough to both the Zoo and Sea World and this hotel was it. Besides the pool that was the best feature of the hotel. The hotel is showing its age and reminded me of my dorm room in college. Check in was slow and was not very friendly. Had a musty smell to the room as we entered. Construction was going on so we had to walk around the buidling with our luggage which was a real pain. One of the nights were were woken up by someone banging on the door next door screaming "Let me in" and calling the phone about a million times. There was a small refridgerator that didn't work. Parking was 10/day which I truly did not understand. I think if we were to stay in San Diego again we would look else where.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank smmuconn
Reviewed July 15, 2006

My family stayed at the Handlery while vacationing in San Diego. The hotel is right off the westbound Highway 8 exit. On check in, we discovered that there is no elevator. As we carried our bags in, we passed the bellman, but he did not offer to help us. Once in our room, we discovered it was a bit small, with two double beds. The beds were typical hotel beds, nothing exceptional. The room was light as one wall (the north) was a mostly glass with a sliding door. There was a balcony overlooking the pool with two chairs and a small desk. The room came with a small refrigerator that did not work very well. My wife complained that the room was dusty. There was no Internet access except for the $10.99 per day WebTV access or a public computer in the lobby.

From the exterior appearance, the hotel looks as though it was built in the 1950s or 60s. It is more of a motel than a hotel as most of the rooms are accessible from exterior, open hallways.

Parking cost $10 per night, though for some reason, we were not charged when we checked out. The location is convenient. It is a short drive to either the San Diego Zoo, Sea World or the Fashion Valley Mall, where there are several restaurants including the Cheesecake Factory.

The breakfast buffet was rather meager for $12.95; only one type of eggs (scrambled), French toast, sausage and bacon, fruit, yogurt, and cereal but no toast. (Courtyard by Marriott serves a better breakfast buffet.)

The pool was great. It is large and appears to be be well maintained. Some of the pool towels, though, looked as if they had seen better days.

I would not book the Handlery again for a family visit. The rooms are too small and there are too few amenities on site (except for the pool).

• Stayed: July 2006
3  Thank BenHaMin
A TripAdvisor Member
Davis
Reviewed June 25, 2006

This hotel's location is very convenient--close to all the sight-seeing points and shopping centers, and it's right next to the major freeway exit.
I don't like the poor cleaniness of this hotel, especially the dirty linens---stains on pillow cases, holes on blankets, and dark marks on towels. I think the pillow cases and the blankets should be thrown away. Although it meets the 2.5 star rating (e.g. iron, hair-dryer, coffee maker, etc), the dirty linens outweight everything else. Also the staff was not professional/helpful at all. On our check-in day, after 5 minutes we entered our room, our door was knocked, and before we answered, the door was opened by the housekeeper!!! Since then I chain-locked the door whenever I'm inside the room. On our check-out day, our door was knocked at 8am (!) and the housekeeper asked us when we'd check-out... The front desk staff was polite and friendly, yet not informative--told us things incorrectly. The free shuttle bus for going to the Sea World was another surprise---my seatbelt was not even working. I also don't like the idea of charging hotel guest $9/night parking fee. All in all, I think this hotel should be removed from priceline pool and I do NOT recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2006