“Great location & Pool”

Handlery Hotel San Diego
Ranked #134 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

This is the 2nd time we have stayed with the Handlery, once in San Francisco and now in Dan Diego. I have to say they have the very best locations, so central to things in both cities. The service here is ok, the team are accommodating but the front office are a bit 'by the book' ( I couldn't check in as it was booked under my wife's name) however we did enter Mexico without passports and Amanda from guest services was amazing and saved the day by organising a Cab to get our documents to us at the homeland security centre!! Dumb I know but be careful not to take RIGHT lanes if you don't intend crossing the border!... The pool at the hotel is great, clean and deep and the area is well set out. Things are a bit dated so this means minimal sound-proofing between rooms, noisy aircon, dated bathroom and a wobbly refrigerator. We loved the location which allows you to get to town, Zoo, Mexico (:-)), la Jolla and almost anywhere via freeways in 15 minutes. I am happy with the value also and would come back.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank NicSou
Estela D, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Dear NicSou,

We are so happy to hear that you are returning guests to the Handlery properties. We appreciate the feedback on your stay. We are proud to hear that Amanda has definitely taken our service above & beyond. Thank you and we look forward to having you back as our guest soon!

Estela D.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,255)

Reviewed July 15, 2014

Our Family stayed at The Handlery Hotel in San Diego. We had a great time at the Hotel and everyone enjoyed themselves. My whole family about 50 of us felt the Hotel and the staff was awesome and provided us excellent service. We were so happy with the food service for both of our events, which were the Meet and Greet on Friday July 11, 2014 and the Meal served at the Dinner/Dance on Saturday, July 12, 2014. It is so nice to plan an event like this and not worry about a thing, just let the staff help us out like they did. I heard such nice compliments from my family saying " This was the best Family Reunion we have ever had". They also felt that by staying at one Hotel as a group was a lot better for everyone, because we were able to visit with each other more frequently. I truly feel the whole experience for our three day weekend at the Handlery Hotel was excellent! I will certainly plan to stay again at the Handlery Hotel and so will my family when they visit San Diego again. I appreciate Maria Jacquot, sales Rep. for working with me on the planning process and keeping me informed through out the entire planning stages. I could not have done the planning without her help. The staff for our two events were also awesome! Truly professional and courteous to my family. Thank you to everyone at the Hotel starting with the Check-in Stage to the Check-out stage, and everything in between whom provided us support and service during our stay at the Handlery Hotel. "You are all excellent in everyway possible"! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

Room Tip: Corner Suites are Large and great for Family members to gather together as a group.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Irene M
Estela D, Sales & Coordinator at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Dear Irene M,

It is always wonderful to hear positive feedback from our guests! It was a pleasure for us to have the opportunity to host your family reunion. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 15, 2014

This past week was our 4th time to stay at the Handlery. This place probably really rocked back in the 80's ! I digress. It's a family vacation and being so close to Seaworld and the zoo is a big bonus for us. The hotel has multiple daily shuttles to and from Seaworld and the zoo and Jeff (driver) is the best ! We were walking distance to the fashion valley mall and a short drive to the mall where Target is. The pool is quite large, clean and there is plenty of space to lounge. The only eating we did at the hotel restaurant was breakfast. I enjoyed the food and so did my family. We will go back again for sure !

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank 80sguy_10

Dear 80sguy_10,

Thank you for allowing us multiple opportunities to provide you & your family with great service! We look forward to having you back soon & if you should travel to San Francisco, please check out the Handlery Union Square Hotel.

Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

We stayed there 2 nights for a wedding held at the hotel. It is an older hotel. The tops of the furniture were granite and the bathroom counter top had what looked like a newer top but other than that the room is old and really needs updating! There wasn't much water pressure coming coming out of the shower head. We were on the second floor and there is no elevator so it took many trips to unload and reload the car. There was a big glob of something on the back of the bathroom door which I had to clean off. Gross!! That made me wonder how well other parts of the room were cleaned by the housekeeping staff. There is very little counter space in the bathroom! The biggest surface to put things is the toilet seat lid. Again, gross! They charge $12 a night for parking. I feel if you stay at a hotel you shouldn't have to pay for parking, and I never stay at a hotel for which you have to pay to park for the privilege of staying in their hotel. On the plus side, the bed was comfy. I wouldn't stay here again. Even if I came for another wedding, I'd stay at a different hotel - there are plenty close by.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed July 11, 2014

We stayed at this hotel as we had palnned our daughtes wedding to be held at thier facility when we lived in the area. Since then we moved away and stayed here for alomost a week during the wedding along with other family members. I did remeber that they did do some type of remodel - but was not sure to what extent. I was very disappointed in the room - very small, bathroom very small - not bathroom vent and it would steam up after a shower, some of rooms the water had a fould smell to it. The ceiling was dirty from the vent from the A/C unit that is attahced to the ceiling. Fridge in room but no freezer section on fridge. Bed was OK Pool area is very nice - not many there but nice area. The small cafe was great and seves a very good breakfast and a good price. Each section of the building has a laudry facilty - but it gets locked at 10 pm. All in all it is just OK - not reall happy with the room when considering the price that I had to pay - could have gotten a better room at that rate.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Dear Dave B,

We are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and I will be sure to share your information with our management team. We value you as a customer and hope that you will continue to stay with us in the future.

Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

I went to San Diego for my cousin's wedding and stayed at the Handlery Hotel. It was the worst hotel stay ever. I was charged an additional deposit once I got there that was not stated when I made the reservation and was told if I didn't pay it I wouldn't be able to check in, they charged to print boarding passes, they charged for plastic fork and spoon, the handle broke when we turned the shower in, the room was not a superior room like it was stated on the website and the smell was not the most pleasant. I was very disappointed at the hotel for the amount of money that was spent. The only positive outcome was the shuttle services.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Melissa M
Reviewed July 6, 2014

A family of four embarking on a four week holiday we were off to a great start staying at the Handlery. The pool and spa were great, the staff were great, especially Jeff who drove us in the Hotel shuttle to all the major attractions, which are really close by, he dropped us off to the local malls and picked us up, he pointed out local shopping and dining spots that he thought might interest us, let us know what other transport options were available once the shuttle stopped for the day, helped us with luggage and simply could not do enough for us. Breakfast was good and the service was great. Drinks at the bar were good too. We stayed on the second level overlooking the pool- very nice and quiet

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family