“Excellent value for the more cost conscious”

Handlery Hotel San Diego
Ranked #134 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I spent four nights in this hotel. The front desk was very helpful, providing me with a complimentary toothbrush and shaving foam. Nothing I asked them made me feel like I was an inconvenience (e.g. changing money).

They run an excellent free shuttle service to Old Town, one of the big malls, Sea World, and the Zoo. The driver was a great guy.

Ciengan (sp?), who has a private taxi service that is contracted to the hotel, is fantastic also! His car is very clean and his rates are great - flat fee! He never let me down and I must have used his services at least 10 times.

The restaurant serves some pretty tasty meals. I particularly liked their strawberry shortcake and pancakes. Very generous servings. The service was very good also. I had a lovely waitress for dinner. She had a lot of enthusiasm for her job.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,258)

Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

Great hotel! There is a pool which I unfortunately didnt get the chance to enjoy. :( I love the balconies each room has. The room I got had a king size bed, cozy and free wifi. I would definitely come back. The only thing is there is no restaurants nearby. I do remember a restaurant being across the highway which is extremely difficult to get to if you don't have a car.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Loved this place. Had such a homely feel to it. Its certainly not the most modern hotel but its clean, comfortable and so reasonable. The restaurant serves a great breakfast and lovely dinners. It has everything you could need including a little bar fridge. We had a standard room which comfortably fit two adults and two small kids.

The staff provide a free shuttle to SeaWorld and the Zoo. Its on time and the driver we had was very nice.

The staff are only too happy to help with anything you need. Thanks for the tip on the Coyote Café in Old Town. Was certainly worth the visit. Definitely recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank basojoma
Reviewed March 10, 2014

You could not ask for friendlier staff from desk clerks; dining room personnel; our shuttle driver to the housekeeping staff. The hotel was clean and our room was spacious with a comfortable chair and a lovely patio for a late afternoon drink. The shuttle driver (Jeff?) Was so very helpful and informative - gave us some excellent hints on how to attack the Zoo and what to see in Balboa Park. Would definitely come back.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank elsimpson45
Reviewed March 6, 2014

it was, comfortable student hotel. the staffs are very kind, and near of shopping center. there was also free shuttle service to the San Diego Zoo, and to the airport with charge.

Room Tip: i think they need to open some convenience store nearby..
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 26, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for the week of February 15 - 22, 2014. We thought it was excellent! The staff were very accommodating and helpful. The restaurant Postcards was also excellent. Great food, great service, and lots of food!!! The pool and hot tub were a wonderful way to unwind at the end of a busy day. The drivers hired by the hotel were also wonderful. Ciengan, Jeff, and Ray were excellent with information about the tourist spots. We would stay here again when we visit this beautiful city. If I had one tiny complaint, it would be that there is no elevator to carry my heavy suitcase, or maybe I should just pack less!!!!!!

Room Tip: We loved poolside and the King bed!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We were very impressed by the level of service offered at this moderately priced hotel. Everyone from the concierge to the shuttle driver were just great. I can't think of a thing to improve. Our rooms were clean, the pool was large and clean, parking was plentiful, the shuttle driver was accommodating. We would definitely stay again or recommend to a friend.

Room Tip: We stayed in two different buildings and had no problems in either. If you have been on a whale tou...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple