“Handlery - Nice Pool!!”

Ranked #99 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Victoria
“Handlery - Nice Pool!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed at the Handlery Mar 14-20, 2013. I can echo some of the comments below; the pool area is very nice and good for both families and adults. After walking around the zoo for the day I was grateful for the wonderful hot tub . We used the pool everyday because it was so clean, the water was warm, and the space was so nice. They have nice deck chairs not those cheap white plastic ones. The front desk staff were very helpful and polite. Everything we asked about we were given a marked map and good instructions. The driver Jeff who took us to and from in the shuttle to San Diego attractions was excellent, friendly and very accommodating. The hotel has car seats if you require (we didn't but we saw others that did). We ate in the restaurant a few times, both the food and the service was good. We had different waiters and they were all good. We didn't have breakfast there but heard from other guests it was good and the portions were huge. On Monday there was $5 burger and $3 beer night which we went to and it was great. The hotel is walking distance (12 min) to Fashion Mall and to the trolley system that can take you to Little Italy, other malls, etc for $2.50.

Our room looked just like the pictures on their website, there was a laundry room (which I needed!), ice machine, and in our room a bar fridge, coffee machine, a 36" flat screen TV. We really didn't need anything else. Our room was clean, quiet, and had private outdoor seating area. We didn't hear anything from outside our room at all and I am a very light sleeper. Only in the hallway could I hear kids in other rooms.

We had 3 computers in our room and had no issues with the wireless at all. Our fridge worked fine. We left everything unlocked in our room, iphones, ipads, laptops, alcohol, merchandise we bought, cash and NOTHING was stolen. I wasn't even concerned about anything going missing. My only complaint was that our room was a tad small but that is what we booked so our fault not the hotels. Also, we had a room with 2 double beds and the beds were not very big, it was hard to sleep 2 adults to one double bed and we are not tall or big.

I really don't understand any of the negative complaints on this website about this hotel, I'd recommend staying here. Every other hotel guest we encountered was as happy as we were will the hotel and the hotel staff and service. It's not a 5 star but it's very clean, comfortable, and good value.

Room Tip: You should ask for what you want, we asked for quiet and got a quiet area. I had to rate Spa above...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
WALES UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

Booked into this hotel with my wife and five year old son for five nights last July. It's more of a motel than a hotel. It's quite a large hotel/ motel in that the rooms are spread out over a low rise complex. The location is Ok as a cheap base to the likes of the zoo, Seaworld, and the chargers stadium. It's also quite close to a mall where you'll find good shops, restaurants and a cinema. However, a car is essential to visit all these locations. The hotel is actually located on a very busy motorway/freeway and is surrounded by such roads.
The reception area is dark and unwelcoming. The main restaurant is adjoining and has the same appearance. The staff reflected the atmosphere I.e chewing gum in your face whilst yawning and complaining about the early hour they had to start work that morning (a conversation that occurred at 9.30am!).
Now for the worst part. We were in a room on the second floor in the third block. The rooms have paper thin walls resulting you listening to you neighbours conversations at all hours of the night. You can't even use the air con as a white noise abstraction as it was the noisiest unit I have ever experienced.
I have been fortunate enough to have stayed in some of the best hotels in the world. We booked this expecting basic facilities and a central base. This didn't even meet those standards. My lasting memory will be the awful smell and the mid matched carpets on the landings and stair wells that were taped together!!
San Diego is a beautiful city. Don't spoil your experience by staying here. We checked out after the second night.

Room Tip: Choose a room in another hotel!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

A buddy and I recently stayed at the Handlery. The following was noteworthy:

-Before arriving I wished to arrange it so my friend could get into the room if he checked in before I did, and so he would not have to put a credit card down. The front desk had me fill out and fax a fairly lengthy form to facilitate this, which was an inconvenience (noting the gentleman in the guest services area that I faxed the form to was friendly and helpful).
-My friend did precede me but after all the preparation work, the desk still had him put down a separate credit card!
-Upon my arrival, I witnessed a guest nearly screaming at one of the hotel front desk people over service; the woman who checked me in was slow but did relate that she did not typically work the front desk and was filling in.
-The room itself had multiple problems: the room was dark and not well appointed, the key did not work well in the door, there were two bugs in the room, there was no soap in the bathroom (the maids did bring some after I called and were very helpful and apologetic). At night, there was a pounding noise that went on for hours. We were on the top floor; it may have been wind (there was a storm that night) but either there was someone making the noise, or something was not secured properly on the roof.
-The food was good (and we did both dinner and a breakfast), so that is a plus.
-All in all, I would have to say that the Handlery has severe management challenges. I write quite a few reviews for TripAdvisor and one can note that I am not prone to writing harsh reviews. I wish the Handlery well in correcting these issues.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

My family and I just returned from a great extended weekend in San Diego which started off at the Handlery. The guest rooms were recently updated with nice bed linens, black out drapery and an overall pleasant-comfortable interior. Used the wireless, no problem. We slept great and the room was quiet. It is exactly what we were hoping for in a family oriented destination, but we found several surprises.

Room service was terrific! Ordered breakfast and dinner while we were guests; each meal arrived as ordered and on time. Additionally, each meal was very good which isn't so common with room service. The smile Victor had was obvious through the phone, but when he showed up it was even better. What a gentleman and wanted to make our family's experience perfect.

We did have one small problem with the room, called the front desk and engineering was at our door in about one minute to resolve it. Excellence follow through with the front desk calling back to ensure our problem was no longer a problem.

The swimming pool and fitness area are great, enough room at the pool for each guest of the entire hotel to show up and still have room to swim. With that said, insert parking here too!

The staff here was exceptional in service and in creating a friendly environment. We will definitely stay at the Handlery again. It is centrally located for all the fun San Diego has to offer and if I still traveled to San Diego for business, I would not hesitate to stay there as it is comfortable, clean and felt safe and welcomed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Michelle W
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

This place is unacceptable unless you are use to and looking for a bare bones budget hotel room. I found the bed to horrible, one of the most uncomfortable beds I have stayed in. The toom is stuffy and loud with it situated directly next to a car park and the freeway. The bed offers no support to someone who is heavy and if you are over 200 pounds you will be unhappy and uncomfortable. The fridge makes noise all night. With so many fine hotels in the area, this one should be going for about 55 dollar a night. This is basically at the level you would expect at a motel 6. As Bob mentioned in another review, there are large wattage lights right outside the room and you can not turn them off you ought to have black out curtains, this place had none. I left after a sleepless 5 hours and asked for a refund but was not given one.

Room Tip: avoid this hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank egeff
Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed 11 nights in a comfortable room that was always cared for. Enjoyed the pool and hot tub in a very nicely done setting. Even thought this is an older hotel it was great.
We give many thanks to the shuttle team, who gave us extraordinary treatment every day and were very knowledgeable of the city, made suggestions of what to do/see. What a great idea to have a $5. hamburger/fries on Monday nite in Postcards. Skip the pizza. We especially note that the morning restaurant staff were very pleasant. The hotel is walking distance to Fashion Valley Mall and many good restaurants. Golf course next door. Trolley stop near. Bus stop near.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Roseville, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

I attended a conference at the Handlery and stayed for 3 nights. First off, my husband and I both said we couldn't believe how comfortable the bed and pillows were! We even looked at the tags to see who the manufacturer was! The room was very clean. Desk service was excellent. The Postcards Restaurant in the hotel was also excellent...we had breakfast and a dinner there. It's also a great location, too...10 minutes from the Gaslamp, 15 minutes from Coronado Island. Other than not being an oceanfront hotel, this was a great place to stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business