“Great location, good value, tad bit dated”

Handlery Hotel San Diego
Ranked #112 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
City San Fernando, State California
“Great location, good value, tad bit dated”
Reviewed March 31, 2012

Stayed at hotel on March 31. It is located in Hotel Circle and is close to everything in San Diego. A major plus. It was my wife and I and two kids. The price was a good value, however the room with two beds was quite small. Bathroom was clean, nice 42 inch Samsung LCD. Bed comforter was worn and see its day. We were close to pool and there was an aroma of chlorine in the hallway and room.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank MexVacationing
GenMgrSanDiego_CA, General Manager at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Thak you for writing a nice review and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. We renovated the hotel 2 years ago and it has held up very well, however we were built in 1954 and the architecture hasnt changed much but everything you see inside of the hotel is new. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you back soon.
Pete Lassalette

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
Reviewed March 26, 2012

We stayed here for 4 days since the wedding we had flown in for was taking place here. We had a king bedroom which was very nice and clean however the bathroom was quite small. We did have two problems with the AC and toilet not flushing but both were resolved quickly. The restaurant was good and reasonably priced, the wedding grounds were very pretty and the ballroom was the perfect setting for the reception. It's close to Sea World which was an added perk. Overall, the beds were comfortable, the rooms were clean and the staff was friendly. The only downside is there are no elevators so if you have quite a bit of luggage or have a hard time going up and down stairs, request a ground unit.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Surfchic55
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, Wea re so glad you enjoyed your 4 night stay and that the Wedding was a success. It sounds like you had a great time at the hotel and got to enjoy the ameneties we have. We look forward to seeing you back soon and again thank you for staying with us.
Hilton Head, South Carolina
Reviewed March 25, 2012

This was our first trip - vacation-- to San Diego. We selected the Handlery off of Travel Zoo advertisement and were not disappointed. The rooms were reasonably priced and were freshly cleaned daily as we returned from our outings. The Monday night Hamburger special was the best deal on dining for the week. The front desk staff were always very insighful and helpful. We rented a car for a days' drive up the coast to La Jolla and beyond, and the office for renting vehicles is about 15 steps from the front desk. Both Jeff and Rich were very polite and timely on their shutle pickups and deliveries. Thanks guys. Jeff made a recommendation for a nice meal our final night in California - a steak house and prime rib place just walking distance from the hotel and provided a couple of discount coupons to boot. It's a great restaurant and if you are looking for an off property special meal, this is the place!! All in all we had a wonderful trip to San Diego and the Handlery more than met our expectations. We highly recommend the place. (Wish we could have used the lovely pool - but it was a bit cool the week we were there. Best wished Handlery from your friends in Nebraska.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
GenMgrSanDiego_CA, General Manager at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, April 5, 2012
To our friends in Nebraska, Thank you!!! We loved having you stay with us and glad you enjoyed yourself and our burger night special! Please come back and see us soon!
Whiting, Kansas
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Don't think you can find a better staff anywhere. Everyone went out of the way to make sure we had a good time. The shuttle driver (Jeff ) did a super job getting us around, really no need for a car. The hotel is nothing fancy but very comfortable. Would recommend it to anyone

Room Tip: rooms on the front do have highway noise
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and posting such a nice review. I'll pass on your comments to Jeff and agree that he is a great part of the hotel! Again thank you for staying with us and we all hope to see you back in San Diego soon.
Chilliwack
Reviewed March 23, 2012

We spent nine nights at this lovely hotel, celebrating our anniversary. We enjoyed our stay and found the staff very helpful and friendly. Our shuttle driver Jeff felt like a friend and made some great suggestions for our trip. We were thrilled with a complimentary bottle of champagne on our special day. The rooms are updated and the beds are fabulous! The pool and gardens are beautifully maintained, you really feel the tropical ambiance of San Diego. Once we found our way around, with the help of staff, we found this location great. We didn't have a car and relied a lot on the great shuttle service and then became comfortable with the easy transit system in this beautiful city. This hotel is also a short walk to the Fashion Valley Mall which has a number of dining options. I would recommend this hotel to future travellers!

Room Tip: There are about five or six rooms with a patio that goes out to the pool, I would opt to stay in one...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
First and foremost Happy Anniversary!! I'm so glad you enjoyed your nine nights with us, It was such a pleasure to serve you and have you stay with us. I'll be sure to pass on your comments to the staff as I know they will like to hear what you have to say. Again thank you for staying with us and don't wait another year to come back! All the best.
australia
Reviewed March 23, 2012

I left my cell phone there and they sent it to me at santa monica but they put there own zip code on it and I didn't get it before I came back home in Australia they refunded my $30 but I'm still waiting for the $168 that it cost me to get it sent back to Australia, when I was told that it will be and its been 3 to 4 weeks now I've left lost of messages and I haven't heard back. Not happy when we tipped a lot, I will write a better review when I get my $168 back that I was told that I will!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and I apologize for the mistake we made while sending your phone back to you. We did put the wrong zip code on your lost and found item and that caused the delay in delevery. I know you have been in touch with our lost and found department and we have been in touch with the other hotel you stayed at and will get this resolved in the next few days. Again my apology for the mistake and we will make it right. If I can do anything for you please don't hesitate to call me directly.
Reviewed March 23, 2012

The hotel is very clean and nice and the rooms are nice nothing too big though- it isn't how it looks on the website. It is similar to a holiday inn express. The location is bad. You have to absolutely have a car if you want to go anywhere. It's about $25 can ride to the airport as well.

• Stayed March 2012
GenMgrSanDiego_CA, General Manager at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
Thank you for the review and I'm glad you had a good stay with us. By no means do we try to be something that we are not. The pictures on the website are of the hotel and we do our best to show what we have, I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations, we hope to see you back and give us another try. Thank you again for staying with us.