“Poor location in a great city”

Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley
Ranked #166 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
UK Cambridge
“Poor location in a great city”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2006

The hotel is ok. The main problem is it's location. You need a car to get everywhere.

The hotel service was very good and friendly. But the conciege service is non existent.

The building is a bit tired and sound proofing a little poor. We paid very little for our stay but still felt a little disappointed and would not return.

• Stayed March 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2006

I visited every hotel San Diego has to offer and I was very pleased with the choice I made to use this hotel to host my guests for our wedding. A budget-minded hotel for California. The rooms are modest and decor reminicent of the early 80's (think Magnum P.I.) The hightlights of this hotel are the pool area which was great for all to gather around and the lovely waterfall and coy pool areas which served very well for the pre-ceremony photos. The staff was great and the hotel is centrally located for all that San Diego has to offer. If you are looking for an all-inclusive beach type of vacation stay then this is not the place, but if you plan to rest your head, catch a few rays poolside, need to eat and want to travel the town then this hotel is perfect! It sits off a major highway which allows easy access to all attractions. We had vehicles to get around town (they charge for parking as most hotels in town did), but I believe that public transportation is available in the area, if that is the way you must travel-not for me. Wonderful Sunday brunch!!! Inside decor of courtyard gives Hawaiian feel but room/hall walls reminded me of my college dorm-painted cinder block (not bad though). Open and airy courtyard is the center of all room entrances. All in all the hotel was clean, food and drinks were very good from all restaurants and beds were comfortable.

• Stayed August 2003
4 Thank MMischeif
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2006

Stayed here March, 2006 for 3 nights.
Upon checkin we were offered a room in the building near the freeway, although not facing the freeway. Or the option of a $10 upgrade to be in the taller building off the freeway with bigger rooms.
They let us look at the room ahead of time and it was acceptable to us. But it was very small. I'm sure these rooms all have only 1 bed and NO room for a rollaway or a portable crib, no desk to work at. You would need to upgrade to a bigger room. But it was pretty quiet and unless I needed the space, I wouldn't pay to upgrade. The only odd thing was that they had tile flooring on the walkway outside the rooms, so everything that rolled by had a "cla-clink, cla-clink" sound as it went by. Didn't hear it during the night, though.
They are not really close to the mall or the trolley station, but for a tip they will take you to the mall (where there is a trolley stop), about 1 mile away. It is close enough to walk, but not a great walking route, lacking safe space to walk in some areas. The trolley goes to many locations in San Diego.

Room needs redecorating, just a little dark, with peeling wallpaper, not a great place, but clean. Not bad, just not great.
Didn't eat at any of the restaurants, but the Sushi place seemed quite popular with many locals on Friday night.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2006

This hotel is perfectly located a few minutes from the beach, downtown and Balboa Park and -- although near the freeway -- is quiet at night. You can come and go as you please without having to go by the front desk, which is a plus in my book. At night you can drive through the gate without bothering with the parking lot attendant.

It is great that they accept pets, and have smoking rooms. My room was large, very comfortably furnished, attractive, with a decent sized balcony overlooking the pool, and with a huge bathroom with marble double vanity.

The TV was fine, with a big selection of channels. I had a refrigerator and microwave, the two queen beds were comfortable, and there were additional indoor and outdoor seating areas with comfortable chairs and tables. I had the Sunday brunch and it was excellent -- with crab legs, eggs benedict and a big selection of desserts. The restaurant service was very friendly. Room service was prompt and friendly, and the Reuben sandwich I ordered tasted fine. The front desk was a little impersonal, but this is a big hotel so I expected that.

The parking lot had narrow parking spaces, but not to the point of being a problem. I did hear some elevator noise and noise from other rooms -- but I have yet to stay in a hotel that was any quieter on the west coast (construction people apparently don't believe in sound insulation out here.)

The pool and hot tub were big and clean. One glassed in elevator didn't work, but there was another elevator nearby that did (I was on the seventh floor). Some people consider the tropical/cinderblock exterior tacky. I consider all tropical decor tacky, so I didn't care. You could spend a lot more money and get less in most areas of coastal California. Don't spend your honeymoon here -- it's not that great -- but if you want a nice, centrally located place to stay for up to four nights, this is a good bet.

4 Thank starkt
Indianapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2006

Look, if you are looking for a Four Seasons, stay at the Four seasons. This is the hotel that tries hard.The grounds were clean, our room was in the back. Very quiet. You can get a room overlooking a very nice pool and hot tub area but you do run the risk of a little road noise. This would be your best area if you have kids. Our room had a king bed...your standard set up.Never ate at any of restaraunts so I can't comment on that. Great location to the zoo airport<not too close> I-5 NORTH to the North Coast and La Jolla is two minutes away. All in all a great value for comfort and location. The tropical theme is cheesy but so what? If you want Hawaii go to Hawaii. The parking charge of $10.00 per day should be eliminated!

3 Thank IndianapolisIndy78
Idaho
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2006

Wow, where to begin? This place is so yesterday, it should be mowed down. For the price paid, I expected something better than cinderblock dorm room chic. Hawaiian theme? Lame. The only cafe open during the day had a miserably inadequate menu; the one vegetarian item was a cheese quesadilla appetizer. It's only saving grace is that it's near Fashion Valley shopping. Will not stay here again.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
13 Thank MonkeysandTigers

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Syracuse, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2006

Just got back from the Red Lion Hanalei in beautiful San Diego and although the weather was nice, the property was not. This is more of a motel layout. The outdoor hallways are dark and not well lit, my end of the hall was pitch black. Upon returning to my room everynight I had to wait for the elevator outside, in the dark, by myself. The room itself was pretty minimal and outdated. The linens were old, the appliances were old, and the room had a dark damp feel to it. The bathroom was tiny and the shower was dingy. On the plus side, high speed connection was great and outdoor greenery was beautiful. We ate at the hotel our first morning for the breakfast buffet and it was horrible! We never went back. I highly recommend driving off site for breakfast! Food service was decent but my order was incorrect and I got charged for food I never received. There is ample parking and the pool area is nice too. The desk staff was very helpful and courteous, but the restaurant staff was cold. With all the other hotels in this area I would recommend finding another!

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business