“Spacious but dated rooms”

Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley
Ranked #168 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
California City, California
“Spacious but dated rooms”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights last Jan 13-15,2014. It was our second time to stay here. We had a good experience during our stay last year (2013) so we decided to book here again. We arrived around 10:30 am and we asked if we can check in already and fortunately there was an available room. However, the only available room was in the 2F. My husband is an IHG member so we were hoping to be roomed in again at the club level on the 8F.

Upon entering our room you could tell from the walls that its already old and outdated. It also smell kinda musty. The only thing i like is its spacious and there is even a terrace overlooking the pool. There are also two sink in the bathroom. The downside is one of the sink was clogged. I reported the matter to housekeeping and they sent someone immediately to fix it. Later in the evening after my husband and i got back from dinner we noticed the airconditioning was not working. So we had to call housekeeping again at 10pm in the evening. They sent someone to fix the problem and fortunately it was fixed right away. But the next day, the sink was clogged again !

There is free light continental breakfast and happy hour in the afternoon at the lounge for IHG members. The room was generally clean and the staff were efficient and courteous. There is no microwave oven and mini ref but there is an ice machine on every floor. I dont think we will be staying here again anytime soon unless they upgrade their rooms.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Guest S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Thank you for your review Giselle G! I would like to first apologize for any deficiencies you experienced in the room you stayed in. We would have loved to been able to accommodate your request for a room on the 8th floor at 1030am. I hope that we gave you the option to store your bags while housekeeping finished cleaning and cehck you in on the 8th floor as soon as a room become available.

It gives me great excitement to inform you that we should be finished our grand redecorating in the guest rooms by the end of this year to enhance the guest experience. We have just started redecorating the lounge, lobby, and the restaurant. We would like to invite you back as we hope you will also love the new additions, we look forward to your return!

Best Regards,
Daniel Miranda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
high wycombe
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Stayed for one night 19/1/14 before going to do a Panama Canal Cruise. Located several minutes from the Airport(Taxi fee paid $25 at date mark). Staff welcoming and friendly. Room which was allocated to us was in a block four levels up and overlooked the pool area. Room size was large, beds comfy and very clean. Just one thing to mention coffee facilities in the room were provided but no TEA provisons(us English do like a brew). There was an eating area near to reception but we did not eat so can't comment. Although set on the outskirts of central San Diego there is a nice shopping mall just 20 mins walk away. Overall Okay!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear trosk12,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your kind words about our staff and property. Please let us know about your tea on your next visit because we do provide coffee and tea in the rooms to brew as well as a delicious Kona Café on premises. We hope you had a great time on your cruise and we look forward to your return!

Sunny Regards,
Huntsville, AL
Reviewed January 29, 2014

The hotel rooms are a bit dated in decor, however it was clean. There is no microwave or refrigerator either.The walls seem super thin, I could easily hear the conversations in the room next to me. I found it strange that their was no hotel airport shuttle but there was a free shuttle to the zoo. The breakfast buffet was not cheap either, however the food manager J.C. was super friendly and his personality made my day! This hotel is a good price, but you are not within walking distance of anything so you will need to take a short taxi ride or rent a car.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Guest S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear lulucoats,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay. We appreciate you mentioning J.C. he was delighted to read your comments about him. On future stays please let us know of any special requests, we do have in-room refrigerators and microwaves on 6-8th floors. The courtesy shuttle is also available to Sea World, San Diego Zoo, Fashion Valley Mall and Old Town.

Sunny Regards,
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Stayed here just one night but with mixed feelings. The hotel is a bit dated in decor, the rooms that is. Not bad, clean, but simply bit behind in times. Had a room at the front of the hotel that faces the road, and, despite being at a certain distance of the freeway I thought it was still pretty noisy. It seems the windows are also not that insulating sound wise. The beds are good, not a problem, but airco and road noise made me not sleep too much. Bathroom is reasonable, very American, a useless bathtub thus, way too shallow. It's a playful hotel in setup with open balcony style corridors, open to the air, so on a cold day it's fresh but I think it's a nice setup. No idea how well it's located situation wise, I only used it for an overnight on the way from A to B.

Room Tip: Get a room as far from the road as you can.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Guest S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Thank you for your review spamobile. In response to your concern, the air conditioning is scheduled for routine maintenance and future guests should not encounter the same problem. We appreciate your letting us know and look forward to your return.

Guest Relations Manager
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed January 20, 2014

What can we say! We won't return with rude and unfriendly staff (especially Daniel). The only staff that were friendly were the cleaning staff and one Caribbean shuttle driver (sorry did not get his name). Rooms were ok, but no fridge and the hotel shop was so expensive!

Location was not great, I have to say that we were not in walking distance of anything, we even had to catch a cab to target and got ripped off by a taxi driver that Daniel called for us.

The only good thing about the hotel is they have a free shuttle service to the zoo and sea world, would not say very good shuttle service to the old town or village mall as every time we went outside there was no one to help us and were landed up waiting 30 - 40 mins for the shuttle. Some of the shuttle staff also make you feel like they are doing you a huge favor by taking you to the old town or village mall however it is part of a complimentary service!

Food is average, not really that great, I would recommend calling a takeout place and order your food in!

Check out was a bad experience with Daniel starting our check out however he felt we were not as important as other customers and started attending to them and then came back to us 10 minutes later to say you are done! could he have told us that before he started getting snotty with another customers?

I would not recommend this hotel to families, very unfriendly staff and not fantastic rooms :(

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank QueenAnonymous
Thank you for your review QueenAnonymous. We appreciate all of your feedback good or bad so that we may improve our guest experience and use this as an example. This is definitely not the usual feedback we receive about our staff from past reviews. I would like to personally apologize for any inconvenience you encountered.

We hope that you may give us another chance in the near future. Please contact me directly so that I may handle any special request personally.

Guest Relations Manager
Manchester Township, New Jersey
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Yes, the hotel is an older property. And yes, some of the fixtures could be updated. But the landscaping, pool, waterfalls, and the surroundings are spectacular. Considering that you are about five minutes from downtown and that a downtown hotel will cost you double...don't bother and stay here instead.

The staff is friendly, the food good. Is it going to rate 5 stars?? No, but you aren't going to go home disappointed either. Restaurant was OK and I agree with another reviewer that the MaiTai's need work. I had them in Hawaii, and Ocean City, Maryland (both were better) and I know that these could be improved with just a little work.

Was there on business, but would stay there for pleasure, with family and friends, or just by myself at any time. Overall, the hotel had very little that I could complain about, and that's the idea for me. Comfort, convenience, a good price, and a friendly staff goes a long way in making a trip enjoyable.

Room Tip: I traveled with a group and our rooms were spread all over the place. None of us heard any noise at...
San Diego
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I was looking for a cheap and fairly central hotel to hangout at before and after a New Year's Eve bay cruise. I scored a room at this hotel on Hotwire for a very low price.

The property is a bit dated and tired, yet the tropical themed landscaping, complete with many palm trees and even waterfalls, is somewhat appealing.

Front desk check-in was slow, but once I got up to the counter, the check-in agent was very courteous and helpful. He even comped my parking ($12 per night) and said, "Parking is on us tonight - Happy New Year!". I thought that was very nice. I also liked the fact that the fellow did not look down his nose a bit because I was a Hotwire customer.

The lobby area is clean but tired looking. Directions to the room were very good and it was fairly close to the parking lot.

We stayed in room 1435, which had a very nice view. I've uploaded a photo to show the view.

The room was quite large and comfortable. It had a balcony with a small table and 2 chairs. The room also had a desk, office chair, king-sized bed, flat screen LG HDTV and a comfortable larger chair.

I was slightly annoyed that the room didn't have bathrobes, as I specifically asked that question on the phone and was told that "of course" it did. I would have brought one from home had I not been told that they had robes. Some of you might not care about bathrobes, but I like showering and hanging out in a robe. What can I say?

The bed was king sized and comfortable. The rooms, while a bit dated, were well-maintained and very clean. We heard zero outside noise during our stay.

The property is located on Hotel Circle, which is very central to most of what you'd probably want to see in San Diego, so thumbs up on the location. While I'd prefer to stay downtown, the price is a lot better here and you're barely 5 minutes from downtown.

We did eat at the Islands restaurant. The Mai Tai's were pretty disappointing. They are syrupy thick and way too sweet. It's like drinking Mai Tai syrup!

My sister *loves* the sushi at Islands. Frankly, I thought it was pretty mediocre and my date thought it was worse than that. We ordered their "signature roll" (Hanalei Bay roll) which is baked and just barely okay. We also had a spider roll and the soft shelled crab was dry, overcooked, and slightly burnt tasting. The pu pu platter was decent but not terrific. Again, not bad though. Dinner with saki and 2 drinks was roughly $50 with tip.

While this is not a 5 star property per se, the overall combination of the price, location and other factors make it a strong option in the San DIego area. If you're looking for a new, modern and trendy hotel, this is definitely not it. If you want a good-sized room at an excellent price that is centrally located, it's possibly a good option for you.

P.S. I'm going to add a video to YouTube entitled "View from Crowne Plaza San Diego Room 1435", so if you go their and do a search, it will show you the view from the balcony.

Room Tip: As the clerk for a room with a nice view.
Green Features: I know they are very strong in this area. There are signs in the lobby discussing the hotel's environmentally friendly practices and policies.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stockjock
Guest S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Dear stockjock,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your recent stay. It was great to read you enjoyed your room amenities, pool view and the location! We hope to see again soon!

Happy New Year!