“Nice staff; Weird place -- like a night from the 70's”

Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley
Ranked #162 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed November 21, 2013

This is one wacky facility. Given the names for the buildings at the place that all seem to be Hawaiian, seems to be an effort to channel Hawaii to San Diego. I don't know why, San Diego is its own nice spot. Some nice vegetation around the aging building. Comfortable bed. Furniture from the massive entertainment center, armoire, whatever, combo, to the night stands was kind of several decades past. They made a nice effort to have a concierge lounge, but given the wacky configuration of the place it was set up in another regular guest room and the ambiance in the place reminded me of movies with war correspondents drinking to block out the chaos of Jakarta or Hanoi. Maybe just to block out the noise of the adjoining freeway. Entry to rooms is from outdoors, like 70's motels. Work out facility was not great. Bathroom had two lavatories, but it was very dated and the lighting was weird/weak. It is an interesting place to see, so much so that I would consider bringing my family for one night just to see it. Otherwise, I would personally look for something else.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Guest S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Dear Jordan C,

Thank you for finding our hotel so unique that you will be coming back again with your family! We will be starting a renovation soon and hope to complete in summer 2014. We look forward to hosting you again and continue to provide you with excellent customer service.

Sunny regards,

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley

Reviewed November 17, 2013

The staff is amazing, especially Nathan, what a wonderful jewel to the Crown Plaza. He was very professional and very patient, when we needed help over the phone. The property was well maintain for its age. The breakfast buffet needs more variety, because it's very lacking, but the non buffet menu items are quite reasonable at around $12, which for hotels is great.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Tracy N,

Thank you for acknowledging our staff and Nathan! We appreciate your feedback in regards to the breakfast options , the Director of Food and beverage has read your review and will discuss with staff as we are always looking to exceed our guest expectations.

We hope to see you again soon!

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Very surprised that I am writing a poor review of a Crowne Plaza chain, which has always been a preferred hotel for me and my partner whenever we travel. This branch seems to be poorly kept.

Room - we were staying in a pool view room, and it does get quite noisy. The airconditioning in the room seems to be busted. Although honestly we weren't able to say if it was due to the weather or the AC was really bad. We stayed right through the summer solstice, and after the solstice, the room was unbearable. We decided not to change as it was the last 2 nights. Bathroom ameneties could be improved. Not enough shampoo and conditioner and I keep asking/requesting housekeeping to replenish. (Doesn't help that my hair didn't seem to agree with the water in the US!)

Ice machine and vending machine at our floor. Lifts were sometimes wet as a lot of people who went swimming go to their rooms dripping wet.

WIFI is not free - even for Priority Club/IHG Members :(

Appreciate the vouchers we received for not having our rooms cleaned every night, which we used in their restaurant.

Loved their hotel bar/restaurant which served superb Japanese food. The staff in the restaurant were very friendly! Try the spam sushi (i forgot the name)

Neighboorhood was in the middle of nowhere. At least for me as I was not driving. My sightseeing was limited to the areas where they provided hotel shuttles.

Hotel offers trip to the following places:
1. Old Town
2. Seaworld
3. San Diego Zoo
4. Fashion Valley mall (where there's a train/metro that you can take to go elsewhere)

The shuttle drivers were very friendly, and having shuttle buses to the 3 areas were a great way for me to see some of San Diego. Call from the Fashion Valley mall for pickup to return to the hotel.

If you are not driving/no car, this hotel will be slightly inconvenient. But for those driving, it goes right out the main highway (I20? the big one, i forgot the name)

Room Tip: Choose a non swimming pool facing room. They were very noisy even with the balcony door closed. Choo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Alegria_es,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review from you stay in June 2013. We appreciate you helping the hotel by participating in our go green program. As you know by doing this the housekeeper does not enter the room since you had the go green sign on your door. On the door hangar sign it does inform the guest that we are able to replenish toiletries at your request. We apologize for the misunderstanding.

We would like to invite you back as we are renovating our lounge and guest rooms which should be complete before summer 2014.

Best regards,

Reviewed November 12, 2013

3.5 stars. I stayed here with a couple of friends for a night. We were in town for a wedding. The hotel grounds are nice. The hotel seems like it's been there for a while (I don't know for sure), but they've maintained it well. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The pool is pretty small, but clean. Staff was friendly. They even had a complimentary shuttle to drive us to the reception site. Please tip the driver! I would stay again.

My only criticism is the food at one of the restaurants there. We had breakfast, which wasn't bad, but I felt was overpriced for Denny's quality food. $30 for eggs benedict, coffee, and juice. In my travels, I have realized that hotels charge a lot for food, especially ones that are remote, and there are no other food choices nearby. But this is San Diego, with tons of food choices nearby, so I'd recommend eating elsewhere and getting more for your money. I do want to note that this was just one of the restaurants on the property. I can't judge the others.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Dear dianadepp,

We appreciate you writing a review of your recent stay and your feedback on our breakfast food prices. We are glad you enjoyed your stay overall and look forward to your return!

Best Regards,

Reviewed November 10, 2013

I stayed here for two weeks in October-November 2013. It's a older hotel with a 70s-retro Hawaiian motif and decor. My room (it appeared to me that almost all the rooms were identical) was clean and large, with plenty of closet and drawer space. Much more storage space, in fact, than most modern hotels. The staff was helpful and friendly. The hotel grounds were well kept, and the location was convenient to all of San Diego and most of north county. There is a sushi restaurant which served good, reasonably-priced sushi. I didn't go to the other restaurant.

All rooms (at least on the upper floors) have balconies. The rooms facing the highway (8) overlook the pool and receive a great deal of sunshine, which is particularly nice in the fall and spring. The rooms on the north side of the hotel overlook a golf course, which is probably a more attractive view, but I doubt if they receive any sunshine except in mid-summer.

During the past seven years, I've stayed in nearly a dozen hotels in San Diego and the surrounding area. Several were more elegant, but, for the price, the Crowne Plaza was a pleasant experience and a tremendous value.

Room Tip: Balconies on south (highway) side receive sunshine most of the day. Highway noise isn't much of...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank bedimmed
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Yes, It's an older hotel which is a good thing in this case. The grounds are beautiful with magnificent mature palm trees and the like. The food was very good and the entire staff is friendly. The best outdoor whirlpool I've been in in a long time. It's convenient to the beaches, Sea World and Oldtown as well. I highly recommend it to the government traveler as the perks are excellent!

Room Tip: Overlooking the pool is nice but you'll also hear the highway. Get on the north end.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Guest S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Dear Dave L,

Thank you for an excellent review! We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us, and we look forward to see you again soon.

Sunny Regards,

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Stayed here a couple of weekends ago fri-mon. Firstly club floor lounge not open on weekends. Don't remember seeing that mentioned anywhere. The afternoon drinks/snacks (friday)
was some soggy samosas and a drink served by a dis-interested lounge attendant. Left as quick as I could.

Room was nice and clean - although distinctly showing it's age. Hotel is close to San Diego freeway so can be noisy. Get a room high up and facing towards the valley.

Bar had good cocktails and food. Good happy hour prices during the week. Bar staff hit and miss - some great and some not so.

Breakfast adequate and did the job.

Room Tip: High up and facing the valley.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Comoman1

Dear Comoman 1,

Thank you for your feedback. We would like to apologize for your overall experience at the club lounge and at the bar, the Director of Food and Beverage has been notified and will share with the staff to improve the guest experience.

Best Regards,