“Excellent Stay”

Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley
Ranked #162 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 9, 2013

My husband, daughter and I stayed at this Crowne Plaza for four nights in late April. We were there for our son's graduation from MCRD and as such we got a special rate, free breakfast and free parking. We REALLY appreciated the way this hotel made military families feel welcome and that they offered these special perks.

The grounds were really pretty, lush and tropical and very well kept. The lobby was also nice and we enjoyed having breakfast each morning in the restaurant. The employees in the restaurant were so nice and very efficient. The sushi bar is also excellent and a very good value for what you get.

I have to say the front office staff were what really stood out. They were friendly and knowledgeable. We had no idea what to expect really as far as how we would get over to the Marine Corp Recruitment Depot for Family Day and graduation and they were very helpful with that. The hotel even offers a free shuttle over to MCRD as well as Old Town and we used it for both those places. The shuttle drivers were super nice and very accomodating.

Our room was lovely and very clean. It had clearly been rennovated recently and the furnishings were all very nice and new. It had a flat screen television with plenty of channels as well as a small balcony with two chairs. Our room overlooked the pool area as well as the freeway, however when the slider was closed you could not hear the freeway noise at all inside the room. The bathroom was very spacious and nice and we had two closet areas which was a big plus.

I cannot say enough how much we enjoyed this hotel. I would like to say that Daniel M. who checked us in was wonderful. We had a bit of a snafu with our credit card and he helped us get this worked out. We travel quite often and he was simply above and beyond most front desk employees. There was another very nice front desk employee, I so wish I could remember his name but I can't!

We had a problem with our room ac and it was fixed promptly. Again, the service at this property was top notch.

The layout of the hotel was a bit confusing at first, and we had a bit of a walk to get from the lobby to our room (nothing bad and through lovely grounds and near the pool area) but once we got the hang of it it was very easy. We parked around back and that was very easy for getting to and from our room to our car.

We would gladly stay here again, its very convenient to the airport, Old Town and not a bad drive to anywhere in San Diego.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back of the hotel would be quiet but we enjoyed our view of the pool and the freewa...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank star64Colorado
Guest S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear star64Colorado,

Thank you for taking the time to write a superb review about our property and service! We are always delighted to help our troops and especially the families during graduation at MCRD. We know there are many hotels to choose when visiting San Diego; we appreciate the loyalty and recommendation for others to stay here. We hope to see you again and soon on your next visit!

Warmest Regards,
Guest Relations Manager

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley

Reviewed May 9, 2013

First visti to San Diego and we stayed here and it was quite nice. All the staff were very helpful and friendly. The grounds are really lush, it's nicely located and surprisingly quiet to be so near a busy road. Has a great pool, large hot tub and perfectly adequate gym. The bar has great food all the way up to fresh sushi. It's 5 minutes to Old Town via hotel shuttle, which was always readily available. And from Old Town it's easy to catch the trolley down town to anywhere you want without having to worry about driving at all. We'd stay here again in a minute.

Room Tip: Backside facing golf course is quiet
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Guest S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

Dear 153DavidW,

Thank you for the 4 star rating and your nice comments . We are glad you enjoyed your first visit to San Diego and we were part of your memorable experience. We look forward to having you stay with us again!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I checked in for a one night stay while visiting friends in town. I arrived about an hour before the standard check-in time and was offered an immediate room. This is a pet-friendly hotel so I requested a room on the ground floor where I could park my car next to the door of the room. This made it more convenient for me to bring my 18" x 24" dog crate. My puppy is only 3mo. old and fully house trained. But since this would be a new environment for my little poodle, I planned to keep her in the crate when not supervised. The check-in staff provided the door tab for me to alert cleaning staff and since I paid the pet fee of $75, they offered no-charge parking, free wi-fi and complimentary breakfast. All-in-all a very pleasant stay and visit with friends while leaving the dog to sleep in its crate in the room.

Room Tip: If you travel with a small dog, request one of the ground floor rooms. These have a front door onto...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Ron D

Dear Ron D,

Thank you for giving us 5 stars on your review! We appreciate you sharing your experience and the great comments about the staff and property. It was nice to read that you and your poodle had a great stay with us! We hope that both of you visit us again soon and enjoy all the pet friendly beaches San Diego has.

Warms Regards,

Reviewed May 2, 2013

I have stayed at Crowne Plaza at least twice a year for the past 4 years and they never let me down! The staff is always really friendly and helpful, the rooms always seem clean and we have always been fortunate enough to get a really pretty view. I would recommend this hotel in heart beat. The 2 reasons i rated it a 4 was because the service in there restaurant is not very good, so i have learned just to stay away from there. Also, their parking situation is always difficult. I am not sure if people just do not know how to park (and take up 2 parking spots) or if their parking spots are not large enough to fit SUV's and trucks. i have a honda CRV which is a normal size SUV and i have had to squeeze into the car and back out in order to load the rest of the family. But its not just me because i have seen other people do the same thing, or try to park and not be able to fit (in a normal size 2 door car).. Maybe they need to redo the lines in the parking lot... or people need to learn how to park. Anyway, Those are the only problems i have had, but it is not going to stop me from coming back. It truly is a lovely property.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank L0ve2travel1
Reviewed April 30, 2013

The Sushi Bar and Grill at the hotel is outstanding! Brian (our waiter) provided excellent service and the food Sushi was incredible. Brian kept all the orders perfect for our large group.

The hotel property was clean, quiet and the staff friendly and helpful. We will definitely return!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Walter F P
Reviewed April 28, 2013

The hotel seems rather out dated and there is nothing really to make say this Crown Plaza is superior to any of the other hotels in Hotel Circle. In fact, seeing the lobby and our room itself inspires me more to try out another place.

The front desk person was super friendly and high energy. He told us about the award winning sushi place in the hotel. Sushi was on our list but after reading some reviews on the place, we opted to not risk our one dinner on a place getting decidedly mixed reviews. I think it was hard to trust that an award winning sushi place would be in a hotel like this.

My review is simply that there is nothing wrong with this hotel, but there is nothing extraordinary about it either.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Phoenixroby
Daniel M, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear Phoenixroby,

We appreciate your feedback about the property, it is important to us on how we can improve all aspects on the property. Thank you for the nice comments about the front desk proving excellent service. We hope you stay with us again and try at least one sushi roll to see why our sushi bar has been voted best in U-T San Diego readers poll 2012.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed April 25, 2013

My car was keyed from end-to-end in the parking lot of the Crowne Plaza Hotel. The hotel did NOTHING about it, leaving a very cold message on my voicemail informing me their insurance doesn't cover it. After all the money I spent at the hotel, food, drinks, they did not so much as offer even a gesture of compensation. My car damage came to over $2000 and I had to pay $500 for the deductible. Needless to say I will not spend ONE more penny at that hotel - ever again.

Watch your cars visitors, the guard sitting 10 feet from where my car was parked and damaged said he saw "nothing." AND they charge you for parking! TERRIBLE customer experience, BAD customer service.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tiki K

Dear Tiki K,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the unfortunate incident on your vehicle. We are sorry that someone would vandalize your vehicle for no apparent reason and you had to experience the inconveniences that go along with it. We wish that never happened as we hope that all visiting guests respect other’s property at all times.

Best Regards,