“Average Hotel Amongst Many in Hotel Circle”

Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley
Ranked #161 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Phoenix, Arizona
“Average Hotel Amongst Many in Hotel Circle”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

The hotel seems rather out dated and there is nothing really to make say this Crown Plaza is superior to any of the other hotels in Hotel Circle. In fact, seeing the lobby and our room itself inspires me more to try out another place.

The front desk person was super friendly and high energy. He told us about the award winning sushi place in the hotel. Sushi was on our list but after reading some reviews on the place, we opted to not risk our one dinner on a place getting decidedly mixed reviews. I think it was hard to trust that an award winning sushi place would be in a hotel like this.

My review is simply that there is nothing wrong with this hotel, but there is nothing extraordinary about it either.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Phoenixroby
Daniel M, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Phoenixroby,

We appreciate your feedback about the property, it is important to us on how we can improve all aspects on the property. Thank you for the nice comments about the front desk proving excellent service. We hope you stay with us again and try at least one sushi roll to see why our sushi bar has been voted best in U-T San Diego readers poll 2012.

Warm Regards,
Daniel Miranda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My car was keyed from end-to-end in the parking lot of the Crowne Plaza Hotel. The hotel did NOTHING about it, leaving a very cold message on my voicemail informing me their insurance doesn't cover it. After all the money I spent at the hotel, food, drinks, they did not so much as offer even a gesture of compensation. My car damage came to over $2000 and I had to pay $500 for the deductible. Needless to say I will not spend ONE more penny at that hotel - ever again.

Watch your cars visitors, the guard sitting 10 feet from where my car was parked and damaged said he saw "nothing." AND they charge you for parking! TERRIBLE customer experience, BAD customer service.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tiki K
Dear Tiki K,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the unfortunate incident on your vehicle. We are sorry that someone would vandalize your vehicle for no apparent reason and you had to experience the inconveniences that go along with it. We wish that never happened as we hope that all visiting guests respect other’s property at all times.

Best Regards,
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Had a great experience, large room, great for government travelers, lots of extra's. The Suishi Bar is Great!!! Found myself there time & time again with Anthony as chef (great food) And Mike B. as my bartender Each time was better than the first. The property is awesome and well maintained.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I recently booked a last minute trip to San Diego and Booked Crowne Plaza Mission Valley where I had stayed twice before. I strayed briefly to The Doubletree in Hotel Circle, and Hilton which is also in Hotel Circle because Crowne Plaza had sold out. Top notch service began at the Front desk as I checked in with Nathan. I mentioned to Nathan that a quiet room was important and I was a light sleeper. I was given the key to a spotless room, so quiet you could hear a pin drop. The bed was comfy and the water was hot. Gym on site and parking is more than reasonable. There was an issue with the smell of fresh cigarette smoke at one point but once the staff was alerted the issue was resolved faster than I have ever seen ( CP is a non smoking property). The Crowne Plaza staff obviously work as a team and their efforts are truly appreciated. I'll be back !!

Room Tip: Relax , you are at The Crown Plaza. I prefer a north facing room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Daniel M, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear sdtodd007,

What an excellent review! Thank you for mentioning Nathan for his great customer service, and noticing our staff working together as we are always striving for our guest have a great experience with us. We appreciate your business and loyalty and we hope to continue to make Crowne Plaza your home away from home.

Best regards,
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We came this past weeknd (April 5th-7th) for Kingdom Con a gamers convention and stayed here at the Crowne Plaza San Diego- Mission Valley. For the most part, our stay was okay, except for the terrible service we received from the PuPu Bar, and their other Cafe within the hotel. Mind you, we have just drove about 7.5/ 8 hours from Arizona. We were tired and hungry.

Our first night there, we decieded that we would just stay around the hotel and enjoy some drinks and food. The manager checked us in and began to tell us about how amazing their sushi was from the PuPu Bar. We went to our room, then came back. We must of stood by the sushi bar for about 10 minutes before i went to the bar to ask if someone would seat us, or if we seat ourselves. An employee told me, to seat myself if i could find a place. No biggie, my cousin, boyfriend, and myself found a table. We then sat at the table without anyone coming to greet us, or let alone letting us know someone would be over.

Finally! after about 10-15 minutes our server Christina B. (#565) came over... She was obviously pretty busy, an annoyed she had to pick up another table. At this point, we ordered drinks, which took a very long time. After receving our drinks, she took off again. only to come back to get our order about 10 minutes later... Our appetizers took forever, and then she sent over another server to bring our sushi, or what we thought was our sushi. She had sent over the wrong order, it was another tables. By this time, we have been well over due for another round of drinks. My cousin went over to the computer system/ end of bar where she was at, and asked for another round, which took forever to come. After we had received our sushi, we were never checked back up on, or asked if we needed anything else.

The next morning, we went down pretty early about 645-7am for breakfast. We all did the breakfast bar... which was far from great. The scrambled eggs were pretty runny, as if they weren't cook all the way, the gravy for the biscuts and gravy was pretty much the same as well. Again, the server never came over to ask us if we needed any refills of coffee, or juice. We pretty much, by this point were frustrated that we were spending our money for very poor service.

Saturday night we went to the bar, where an older gentleman was bartending, he then refused to serve us, because we didn't have our ID's ( which i totally get, due to state laws and such ) but my cousin and myself had been in and out of the bar all day/evening. We were by no means anywhere close to being over intoxicated... He then proceeded to tell us, he had never seen us, and that he wasn't going to serve us. He then asked us why we were going to the end of the bar down by the server station, if we had been ordering drinks from the bar all afternoon/ evening. He was very rude, and told us if we were here drinking, we should of known to come to the bartender.

Sunday my boyfriend and myself went for breakfast, we decided to order from the menu hoping to get better quality food. It was way better than the breakfast bar, except when our food was delivered, so was our bill. We never seen our server except when he delivered our food/bill. We waited about 10 minutes or so, and then i went up to the hostess stand to cash out. She said she would try to find our server.

Needless to say, i wasn't impressed with the service. I am a bartender/ Server myself, and i would never ever think to act as they have. Very poor training/ management over in the bar/ cafe. The hotel itself was good. The room was clean, pool/spa area was nice. It was just the service within the cafe/ bar was terrible. I dont think i would ever eat/ drink there again if i was to stay there.

Brandice S.
Tucson, Arizona 85747
Room # 1407

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank StadlerB
Stephen D, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Brandice S,

Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza San Diego for your recent visit to San Diego. I was quite concerned to learn of your experiences and please except my sincere apologies for the lack of service you and your friends received while dining.

Failure to deliver our usual high standards of service, which we promise to each and every one of our guests, is unacceptable at any time. We take this matter very seriously and we have taken corrective action to ensure that this does not happen to future guests.

We appreciate your feedback as it allows us to better prepare for future guests. I realize the seriousness of these matters and thank you for sharing your comments.

Again my sincere apology,

Stephen DeStefano, FMP, MCFE
Director of Food & Beverage
Bandon, Oregon
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I loved my room (I was by myself), I loved the balcony on the third floor with a gorgeous view of the grounds, it was nice and quiet at my room location. My biggest concern was that at a certain time during the day they main restaurant closed until 5 pm and so did the little "market" where I could purchase coffee, snacks, and things like aspirin. I had no car and was stuck in "Hotel Circle" in San Diego with no way to find a market. Before you use the breakfast buffet, check out the breakfast menu instead. It has more offers for less cost. I finally tried sushi in the bar restaurant; interesting experience. Their fancy bar drinks (like those with paper umbrellas in them) were too watered down. Weather was about 66, perfect for touring (that isn't the hotel's fault!).

Room Tip: My room's door overlooked a large parking lot and was close to steps leading to lower and upper...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Lilarose1941
Dear Lilarose1941,

I appreciate you taking the time to write about your stay and providing pictures on the review! I am glad you enjoyed yourself during your stay and took advantage on some of our amenities we offer. I would like to mention that during our lunch time hours we have our lounge open for food and drinks. With our market being closed during the afternoon we do provide a complimentary shuttle service to Old Town, Fashion Valley Mall, Sea World, San Diego Zoo and to the nearest market on Hotel Circle. I apologize this information was not mentioned to you during your stay but we hope to see you again soon, and these services will be available for you.

Warm regards,
Washington DC, District of Columbia, USA
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is my go to hotel in San Diego. I enjoy the Hawaiian atmosphere that they have created. The hotel is starting to feel a bit tired and could do with some refurbishment, but the staff are always so very nice and friendly that they make up for the condition of the buildings.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Nick H
Daniel M, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Nick H,
We appreciate you being a repeated guest of ours and your loyalty! Thank you for your kind words about our staff as we are always looking for ways to improve our guest experience, your success matters to us! Once again we thank you for your business and we look forward to your next stay with us.