Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley
$99
  • Breakfast included
La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego Mission Bay(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$109
$89
$219
$199
  • Restaurant
Bahia Resort Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$199
$189
Pacific Terrace Hotel(San Diego)
$299
  • Beachfront
La Jolla Beach Travelodge(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
$127
Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$187
$178
Travelocity
  • Beachfront
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$173
$169
1,040 results
All reviewstiki oasishotel circleold townhawaiian thememission valleytropical feelbit datedfashion valley mallsea worldshuttle servicefree shuttlehotel restaurantnice poolcomic confitness centerbalboa parkla jolla
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 15, 2013

To be honest, as a standalone hotel, this is average at best. The rooms are a little on the small side, and the decor and condition of the hotel is a little tired. It also rained when we were there, and as we were on the 8th floor, the carpeted areas on the walkway were soaked, squishy and slippery the next morning.

When we checked in, we were told we had a room overlooking the swimming pool, with a balcony, both technically correct but our room also overlooked the highway, which is busy and pretty noisy, and as a result we did not use the balcony.

However, the Islands Sushi & PuPu Bar is excellent and if you go at happy hour, which is naturally from 5-7pm, the prices are excellent also. The service we received from staff members was almost universally excellent. There is also a complimentary shuttle bus service which takes you to Old Town / Metro Transport Hub allowing you access to San Diego by Tram or Train, saving you money on Taxis. There is also a bus from the hotel to San Diego Zoo every day. In terms of service and customer relations, this is right up there with the best, so IHG, please arrange to update the hotel soon, pretty please?

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the golf course at the back of the hotel - much quieter
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 5, 2013

The staff, especially Yesenia, went out of their way to make sure we had a great visit for our 35th wedding anniversary. We were made to feel very special. We were given the star treatment. The grounds are very beautiful and we enjoyed the tropical decor. I stay at this hotel often as a flight attendant and am very pleased I chose to stay there on my own for our anniversary.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Daniel M, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear Star B,

Thank you for deciding to stay with us during your anniversary, it was a pleasure to have you. I am delighted that our staff and Yesenia made your stay very special. We hope to be of service to you again in the future.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Located among lots of hotels/motels just off of the 8 freeway, this hotel is fine. The room was average size, the furnishings a bit dated. Overall, the place just felt pretty tired. We stayed here for a big tournament, so it was convenient. If I was on my own, this is probably not a place i would choose. It wasn't bad, but it was nothing special. The only amenity that I used was the spa and the water temperature was only warm, not hot.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank djt68
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear djt68,

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding our property and furnishing being dated. We will look into this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed February 27, 2013

My first impression was right after I checked in and trekked, in the rain, to my room on opposite side of the hotel. There was a noisy street or highway on my side of the hotel. My keys wouldn't work, so I had to lug all of my belongings back to the desk with me ( it was raining on the "hallway"). When I told the clerk my keys didn't work, he asked me if I knew how to use them... REALLY?? A pretty rude comment if you ask me. He then tested my keys in his machine and said they were fine. He then also gave me a "master" key and said he would have engineering come to my room to check the actual lock to see if the battery was bad. When I got to my room, the engineer said his key worked, he tried both of mine and they still did not work. The master key did. He was nice and he had new keys sent to my room for me. First impression... not good. We were there with a large group of people for a conference, so our gatherings were in different parts of the hotel. The decor is very nice, but not well though out. If you walked down the 'motel like' (outside) hallways, the ceramic tile floors were extremely slippery. Unfortunately, it rained the 4 days I was there. Because of my numerous knee surgeries, I opted to walk outside on the concrete pathways to get where I was going instead of the slip and slide of the hallways. Even the stairs were tile and slick. There were numerous older people at this conference, and we were lucky that no one got hurt, (that I am aware of). Beautiful concept, just not practical. I also have a problem with charges for internet at the "nicer" hotels. With all the money they charge, it is ridiculous. You can get free internet at Motel 6!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Irene S

Dear Irene S,

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience or uneasiness you experienced during your stay. Certainly being able to enter your guest room without any inconvenience is a standard expectation of our guests. I am sorry your experience has been otherwise. Your comments are very helpful to us and I appreciate you taking the time to write them down.

I can assure you that your experience is not typical of our usual standard of service as we usually do a much better job of taking care of our guests. I hope that you reconsider staying with us during a future visit to San Diego so that we can provide you with the style of service and accommodations we wish you had received in the first place.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've stayed here twice over the last 2.5 years. And each time, I feel like it could have been so much more.

You drive in, and the lobby looks great, but even with a couple people behind the desk, I've never been helped that quickly. Once being helped, staff was courteous, and efficient, it would seem. Until you get to the "are you parking with us?"

That simple question throws off alarm bells. This Crowne Plaza is right next door to a Motel 6 with free parking, and parking in the Hotel Circle area of San Diego is hardly at a premium, and only the sleaziest of "hotels" seem to charge for it. And, the staff never mentions it, only crosses out the $10 fee on the parking pass, and writes in the $12 fee, and makes you sign. So, another $12 goes to increase the rate I booked under.

And internet? At the Motel 6, I believe it's still $2.99. At the Crowne Plaza, $9.99. So far, $22 dollars more than I booked for. Without even a continental breakfast.

These sorts of gotchas add up, and made me feel nickled-and-dimed to death, not treated to a proper 3 star hotel.

The room wasn't impressive either. It was spacious, and the beds and linens were nice, if not a bit corporate feeling. But the armoire was dated, scratched, and even had a missing hook on one side that nobody had bothered to replace. The coffee maker fell apart when I tried to use it, and the hinges of the bathroom door were so caked in a red rust substance that they had stained the tile floor and wall around them. Carpets were worn and dirty. In fact, I thought I had a developed a foot condition when I went to put on socks after walking with slightly damp feet from the bathroom to the bed to sit down. My feet were a dark color on the bottom.

And, the "going green" theme? Apparently, room cleaning only costs the hotel $5/day, which they graciously will give you as a credit at the restaurant if you don't elect to have your room cleaned. Here I thought that I was paying for the room, so I could have someone clean it for me!

The going green also was annoying IN the room. The bathroom lights were on a motion sensor that kept turning them off. I wasn't motionless in the bathroom for hours, but twice during a shower, and once while at the commode, I was treated to this "feature" that made sure I didn't just wiggle a bit, but that I actually went and pushed the button for the lights to come back. And the fan that came on with the lights was so loud, I'm sure the neighbors must've not been impressed.

The feel in the lobby area is that of a tropical hotel, and even the layout lends a theme. But the ill-kept walkways, the creaky elevators, the afterthought fitness room, and attempt to always make an extra dime show you that this truly isn't paradise, no matter the rate.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Geof G

Dear Geof G,

We value the feedback of our guests and we appreciate your feedback about our property. I apologize that you did not have an overall great stay with us. We definitely do not want our guest to feel “nickel and dimed” that is why we advertise on our website the cost for parking and internet so there are no hidden charges. Most one and two star properties are considered motels and do not charge for parking or internet as a way to attract guests to stay to compensate the fewer amenities and quality that other properties provide.

We have received great feedback from our guests regarding the hotel participating in “going green” to help the environment. It is not obligated for anyone to participate while for those who do we give a $5 food and beverage discount as a way to say thank you for helping the hotel and most importantly the environment.

I hope this explanation is helpful to understand and you will visit us again!

Kind regards,