“Excellent Hotel - great for family travel”

Hampton Inn San Diego - Kearny Mesa
Ranked #33 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
San Jose, CA
“Excellent Hotel - great for family travel”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

My family and I recently stayed at this hotel for a short weekend getaway to visit Legoland and SeaWorld. I selected this hotel due to the good reviews and attractive rate. We were extremely satisfied. The hotel was renovated just last year and is bright and stylish. The rooms are good size and generally clean. Only minor comment is that the beds could be a bit firmer, but I also understand that they need to find middle ground to accommodate everyone's varied tastes. The workout room was fantastic !!! The breakfast was awesome - the signature Hampton Inn make your own Belgain waffles - but they also had hot eggs and sausages, donuts/pastries, cereals, yogurt, fruit, juices, coffee- great for families with little kids... fish tank right in lobby in the breakfast area keeps the little ones entertained. Convenient location. Cannot say more... would definitely visit again. Even received a follow up thank you card in the mail.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank workaholic2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Turkish first
Apple Valley
Reviewed September 13, 2012

This is a very clean, well maintained Hotel located in Kearny Mesa. The exterior appearance is very well presented and the interior lobby is very clean, well kept. The staff is very courteous, friendly and helpful. Check in was very quick, easy and timely. The rooms were very clean, well maintained and awaiting arrival. The bathroom was well stocked and very roomy and clean. The bed was very comfortable and wireless was well receptive. Recommend to anyone. A little pricey, but the ammenities and comfort was well worth it.

Room Tip: All rooms good, clean.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed September 8, 2012

My first time at this Hampton Inn, but have stayed in Hamptons all over the US. This is typical Hampton, from the bed to the breakfast. I arrived VERY late after a delayed flight. Check in was pleasant and efficient, and was thankful for a basket of apples in the lobby as well as a freshly baked cookie.

This is not the best of neighborhoods, but the hotel itself felt very safe - well lit parking lot, indoor corridors.

The room was clean and quiet, TV selection limited. Although I am a Diamond HHonors member and get a snack and a bottled water in my room - beware of an additional water bottle that will cost you $2 if you use it.

Breakfast was typical Hampton Inn, which I can hack sometimes, and sometimes not. There is Denny's or Coco's - as well as several other restaurants in the area. I might stay here again if in this part of San Diego. I thought the price was slightly high for the room, but not completely out of line for the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I chose this hotel because it was close to the TV station where I was to be interviewed. I was a bit nervous when I arrived and saw truck stops, auto dealerships, and 4 freeway off-ramps surrounding the hotel. However, once inside, I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel was lovely, my room very clean and pretty nice, and the bed was very comfortable. The staff was very helpful and courteous.

Room Tip: I asked for a quite room--my room faced west. It was very quite. I faced the parking lot and army ba...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I stayed here two nights on business. There are not a lot of nation chain type restaurants nearby, but there are plenty of dining options. Robert at the front desk gave me several good recommendations. The room was very comfortable and easy to work in, which I had plenty to do in the evening. The bed was very comfortable and there were four pillows, two soft and two firm, which made getting comfortable easy. The breakfast was typical Hampton, with a nice simple selection. I prefer real eggs to instant, but it was fine. My only other minor complaint was that the AC unit fan seemed to be a bit loud, but not so much that I couldn't sleep.

Room Tip: Get an upper floor on the north side, especially if you or your kids love airplanes. Miramar MCAS i...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Stayed here as a solo vacationer to the San Diego area. The hotel and rooms are well-kept, the fitness center is the best I've ever seen at a hotel, and the staff are just absolutely amazingly accommodating and friendly. 10-15 minute drive to downtown (25 minutes with rush hour traffic), really convenient and well worth the cost savings compared to staying in San Diego proper. This is really a 4.5-star rating; the only downside was that the breakfast area was too small (never seemed to be any room to move around or eat) and the selection was poor compared to some of the other Hampton Inns that I've stayed at in the past. But, there are plenty of other options around for breakfast, and the property and staff more than make up for this shortcoming. Highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Rochester, New Hampshire
Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for about 5 days with our two children. The room was clean and a decent size. Beds were reasonably comfortable. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. Your stay includes breakfast and there was a nice enough variety that we were still pleased by the end of our stay.

The one issue we did have was with housekeeping. Our youngest daughter got sick and committed on the floor. We cleaned it the best we could and called housekeeping to finish up. We left for the day and made sure to leave a generous tip for the extra cleaning. When we got home that night, the room still smelled and there was vomit on the carpet still. We called to the front desk and housekeeping came up with a can of spray Lysol. Not good enough! We insisted that they get the carpet cleaner, which they eventually did. While the room did eventually get cleaned to our standards, it made me wonder how they've handled cleaning in the past.

• Stayed February 2012