Hampton Inn San Diego - Kearny Mesa
$99
  • Breakfast included
La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego Mission Bay(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$109
$89
$219
$199
  • Restaurant
Bahia Resort Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$199
$189
Pacific Terrace Hotel(San Diego)
$299
  • Beachfront
Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$187
$178
  • Beachfront
La Jolla Beach Travelodge(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
$127
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$173
$169
  • Pool
All reviewsthe breakfast areacomplimentary breakfast iswaffle makerclean hotelfitness centerexercise roomoutdoor poolhotel circlefresh fruitbusiness travelerbed was very comfortablegreat place to stayminute drivebusiness tripconvenient locationeasy accessbalboa park
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 8, 2012

It's clean, comfortable, quiet, and the complimentary breakfast is better than most "free" breakfasts. Even though it's right off the freeway the room and public areas are quiet. I used the small but well equipped gym. There's even free Wi-Fi for you and your smartphone, tablet, or laptop. I was impressed that the extra pillow I usually have to request is just part of the room accommodations. The extra pillow was in the cabinet under the t.v. The t.v. is 42" and that's a plus too. I think you get your money's worth, since San Diego in July is definitely the high season. It's in an commercial part of town so mostly fast food restaurants nearby. We stayed there since we were driving all over San Diego county for a garden RR regional meet and the Hampton Inn was near all the freeways that we would be using.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I highly recommend this establishment for its cleanliness, and it's breakfast (SO happy to have cooked oatmeal as an option, no packets here) The only complaint was the guest.

We stayed here for 5 nights in June with our two young children. On the 4th night of our stay the weekend "sports crews" moved in. This raised the noise level in the hotel substantially and made the pool impossible to enjoy. We couldn't swim with our young children because there was a group of 8-12 year old boys in the pool. They would not stay on the deeper end to allow the other guests to use the shallow. Even worse, their parents sat by and did nothing but drink alcohol from coolers and completely ignore that their children were being disruptive to the other guests trying to swim. When we approached management with the issue they said they would "take care of it" when they actually did nothing. This we know because I personally checked to see if it had been handle 1 hour later. It had not...
That being said, I understand that this was not entirely the hotels fault. I do wish they would have done something about our complaint but oh well, what are you going to do?

Reviewed June 28, 2012

This is am very nice property, reasonably priced with easy freeway access to major San Diego attractions. Wi-fi is free and the room came with a fridge and a nice size bathroom. The bed was very comfortable and I was able to get a good night's sleep. Highly recommend.

1  Thank 53LeeK
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Stayed in room 507. Arrived in the afternoon and laid on the bed for 2 hours. shortly there after began to feel itching around stomach, back and legs. Noticed lumps and bite marks forming. Went online and found photos of bed bug bites that matched mine. Went to front desk to complain,they sent maintance ppl up with Febreeze. They refused to give me a new room saying they were booked and that I had to have evidence other than the bite marks that it came from their hotel. I threatened to call the health department and file suit and they then had room 510 open. They refused to take responsiblity. The maintenance guys came up and woke me up to say they would launder my clothes. Maybe they dont understand that you cant launder bed bugs from clothes. You have to throw them away. No apology, nothing for my pain. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE. Was a hilton honors member, and no more.

Room Tip: AVOID ROOM 507 and 510. Im sure both these rooms and maybe the entire 5th floor is contaminated if they did not clean it.
8  Thank J L
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

We are very sorry for the experience that you had while staying at our property. We pride ourselves in cleanliness and the ultimate guest experience. Upon learning of the situation, I called in our pest control company to do a thorough inspection of the rooms listed and the rest of the property. There were no traces of bed bugs and there would unfortunately still be evidence of them if they were there. We do not have screens on our windows at this property and it is not unlikely that something can fly in that did not belong. I am very sorry for the treatment you received from the staff that evening and we have taken steps to ensure that never happens to another guest. We were sold out that evening and someone checked out early and housekeeping was working on cleaning the room for you, once again, I am sorry this was not conveyed properly. We do everything we can for every guest to ensure they have a perfect stay, sometimes we fail, and I am sorry you had to be the guest who experienced it.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

My family had stayed at this hotel back in 2000. I don't remember the hotel being anything to write home about at that time, but things have definitely changed for the better. The Hampton Inn San Diego - Kearny Mesa has obviously been renovated recently!

The guest rooms are clean and spacious. I was especially impressed with the size of the bathroom, which was beautifully appointed with granite countertops and plenty of towels. The water pressure in the shower was great as well. The beds are very comfortable, with a variety of pillows to choose from so that you can find one that's just right. There is a large, flat-screen television and a refrigerator in the room. The wi-fi is free, as well.

The air conditioning unit was a bit noisy, but it actually worked to my advantage. My room faced the pool, where a party of young kids went on until late. The A/C helped drown out some of the noise.

The lobby is beautiful with a huge salt-water fish tank. The state-of-the art fitness center includes features new equipment, including treadmills, ellipticals, recumbent bikes and weight machines. The free breakfast featured plenty of variety, and the staff were very helpful as well.

The hotel is a little out-of-the way, but if there is no traffic, you can be downtown in 10-15 minutes. The price was definitely reasonable for the area, as well. I would recommend this hotel to anybody travelling in the San Diego area.

Room Tip: If it is summer, you may want to request a room NOT facing the pool on a high floor.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business