“Loved this Hotel”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Diego - La Jolla
Ranked #44 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 11, 2008

Checked in on 9/4 thru 9/7. We had no problems checking in or getting a porter to help with the luggage. (With a wife and 2 teenage girls it was a lot!). The hotel was spaces and friendly. The rooms had a large living room with a nice flat screen TV., and the bed room was a good size with a regular TV. The morning free Hot breakfast was very nice and had a very short line for it , it must have been the beginning of the off season. The pool was nice and hot tub too. Parking was 17.oo dallors a day with no problems with spaces. It was close to every place needed to go, Sea World, Sea port Village, La Jolla Beach. The staff was very friendly to us and with fast response with any requests that were given and directions to places that we were going to. The only little problem I had not being a Drinker is the get together the hotel gives in the evening, free drinks of alcohol , soda juices. But the chips, goldfish, pretzels were kind of cheap, would have like more of some pastries or some better snacks. But for the price of a State Gov rate 110.00 a night I really can’t complain. It was a Great experience

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,573)

Reviewed August 25, 2008

Booked directly with a discounted voucher purchased from a private party. I've stayed at several other ES's in CA and this one was the most modern and aesthetically pleasing so far. This ES seemed more upscale the moment we pulled into the driveway. There was classical music piped into the driveway entrance, bell hops ready for baggage assistance, and the lobby/decor was modern and upscale. Attrium was more open and trendy than the sometimes overgrown green houses of other ES's. Perhaps the limited foliage in the atrium allowed for more noise echoing, conveyed in some of the other reviews. Though, I didn't notice the noise up on the 9th floor. I always ask for an upper level floor to avoid the anticipated people traffic from the atrium, which they normally accomodate for HHonors members. Enroll free online. Overall service was professional, but seemed less personable.
The rooms were just as impressive, with a flat panel HDTV in the living room, leather ottomans in both rooms, granite tops on everthing, nice modern decor. Room was very clean. Carpet seemed new. No funky smells/stains. ES breakfast buffet was reliably good, and despite the long lines it moved pretty fast (except for the cook to order line). Suggest getting to breakfast within 1.5hrs of opening to avoid long lines. This place is big ES with 12 floors of hungry guests. The styro plates were a little bit of a let down but perhaps it helped keep things moving. Unlike some other ES's, bussers did a decent job keeping up at this one. Managers reception was reliably good. No skimping on amount of alcohol, but available labels were typically mediocre. Hey, what do you expect for free. Pool was clean and area was well maintained.
The only part I didn't like was the additional $17 parking fee and really tight / limited spaces. I wish I would've researched these reviews to get the tip on street parking. A more personable staff would've tipped me on to that. I also didn't get the usual, "How's everything so far?" evening call from the manager like at other ES's...guess I'm just spoiled. Kid traffic / noise was better than I expected for a Friday night stay. As with most ES's try to avoid weekends and book as a HHonor member. Would stay again if priced no higher than $175. I noticed the prices are really high ($245+) during the week. Overall, I liked this ES better than others.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 22, 2008

I am writing this review a bit earlier than expected.

You see I was woken up at 5:15AM by a brand new flat panel TV in the breakfast area blasting the news to all those suckers who happen to be sleeping on the sofa bed in the front room of the 2 room suite. If you have never stayed at an embassy suites they have an atrium that all rooms face so it's either really cool or really annoying depending on whether you are deaf or not.

When I could no longer take the before dawn intrusion I did what most reasonable people would do, called the front desk. What I got is

"I will call and ask them to turn it down"

funny cause the lobby is what ,30 feet from the blaring TV. So I laid back down waiting for the peace and quite I expect at 5 in the morning. Gues what? someone turned it up. I must have cheesed them off by politely asking them to do, I don't know, their job maybe. I should be ashamed of myself for bothering them and just shut my yap, but funny thing is, I then got a bit mad. I called down again.

"I can still hear it"

"sir I asked them to turn it down" "OK then why does it seem to be louder?"

"(sigh) I will call them again"

Click. She hung up on me. I must have bothered her again I guess. So again I tucked myself under the cheesy velor blanket trying to recapture my dream.

15 minutes pass. No change in the volume. I heard every news story, every commercial, every Olympic fanfare (It was NBC).

That was IT. I called again "I will get dressed and go down there and turn it down myself" Silence (from the front desk I could almost hear her thinking "whatever" ) Click she hung up on me again.

So I get dressed and go on down (hey I was up on the 7th floor) and walked up to the offending TV. Not a single guest watching it. Just blasting to no one in particular. I see a staff member walking by and I ask "can you help me turn this down" and she barks at me "we don't have the remote, we don't know how to do it" and she walks away.

What have I done to deserve this? I checked my breath and my zipper, my nose and my BO and I honestly don't know why I was getting them so upset. I was really really bothering them maybe I should just shut up go back to my room and pay my bill and leave them alone, you know give myself a time out. But hey, I am an adult, I have atayed at maybe 15 different ES and booked trade shows and meeting for a living so I am used to dealing with hotels. The good ones trya nd make their guest feel special, the bad ones, well read on.

So, last chance, I walk up to the front desk "Hi, I am the guy who called about the TV and the folks in the breakfast area says that they don't have the remote"

"OK sir I just got here what is the problem" so I repeat my sad tale and she say's to me "what floor are you on?" the 7th. She rolls her eyes in disbelief that I could hear it way up there. So she say's "let me ask Ellen she took your call" so she steps back and I hear some mumbling and she walsk back and says "Sir Ellen turned it down herself she has the remote" "OK its still blasting, it's not down enough" . "Yes it is, sir it's our ploicy to turn the TV's on at 6AM and we can't do anything about it"

Now i am normaly a tolerant fellow who expects a bit of noise from other guest rooms (kids Tv's or just chatter from folks walking down the hall) but I surely did not exext to get "attitude" from the front desk for just asking them to turn down the volume.

So I say to her "It's 5:45, and I'ts been on for a while" "sir that's our policy, how long will you be with us" "One more night" "Sorry we can't help you"

I was flabbergassed. Why in the world would I make this stuff up. Do they seriously think I sit there at 5 AM waiting to complain about something. That I am making it all up or just over sensitive?

Yes they do, yes they do because what happened next summed up the whole bitter exchange. I said to her "I hope someone would please go over and listen to the volume" Ellen never showed her face and her flunky just looked at me and shrugged her shoulders. So I grabed one of those "tell us how we are doing" cards and said "Someone is going to hear about this" and as I walked away I heard her say under her breath

"stupid"

I turned around and said "what di you say" and she say's "I said It's early"

[--] lady. I heard it correctly the first time. Remember I am the guy that can hear a TV from seven stories up.

She never checked it out, never smiled or acknowleged my concern and gte theis, as i walked away she called me STUPID.

Thanks Ellen, Thanks rude employee who barked at me in the lounge "we don't know how to do it" and a big thank you to the front desk clerk who rolled her eyes ignored my reasonable request and called me stupid. Fianlly a big thank you to Embassy Suites La Jolla. I will never forget you. You know just how to treat your guest,

Like [--].

Wow,and it only took me 229.00 to figure it out.

Otherwise the hotel is clean convienent and the rest of the staff was wonderful. Especially the young man that checked us in.

Will I be back? If I did i would be, well STUPID.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank MalbertSF
Reviewed July 25, 2008

This hotel is in an excellent location just outside the village of La Jolla between two of the major freeways (but far enough away from them that it is quiet). You can get to all popular San Diego area attractions very easily and quickly. A large upscale shopping centre, Westfield UTC, is directly across the street. Rooms are typically Embassy Suites ... fairly large and comfortable. This property has recently been updated and has flat screen TVs and some nicer, modern furniture. The only downsides ... windows do not open and the air conditioner unit in our room was rather noisy. Pool was nice. Breakfast was also decent with a nice outdoor eating area. All in all, a very good hotel in a great location.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank CafeBohemia
Reviewed July 22, 2008

This was a great place to stay overall but I was met with some unexpected surprises. Parking at $17/night was the most disconcerting. I found one clerk unhelpful on two occasions but a second was both helpful and accommodating. After all is said and done this was a great place and the made to order breakfast definitely added value to our stay (probably just enough to offset the $17 nightly parking fee.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank BrendaLu
Reviewed July 20, 2008

The billing had to be corrected for overcharges twice. We were charged for tv channels that we did not view. The free channels are not even worth watching.
Everyone is charged $17.00 each night for parking. I had to prove that I did not park on the property for this charge to be removed. The parking is very tight and my friend had alot of trouble with his truck.
The rooms are nice but for the inconviniences, it was not worth the money that was paid.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank verouser
Reviewed July 18, 2008

The front desk was very responsive to check us in our room on time, every time we asked the same response “room not ready”, until I forced the issue then all of sudden a room came available.

The room was looking old; the bathroom had tiles missing and needs some upkeep. Carpet was dirty and they charge you extra for wireless connections.

The breakfast is nice and complimentary cocktails in afternoon are good

The pool is small and the Jacuzzi is very tiny but nice that it is outside in the nice weather.

$17.00 a day for parking is added fee.

For the price a much better hotel can be found

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family