“This Roach Motel was unbearable...”

Pacific Inn Hotel & Suites
Ranked #175 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Pomona CA
Reviewed January 23, 2006

We had just got back from staying at this establishment this last weekend. Being picky about where you rest your head is a different story, we just wanted a place that was fairly clean for our return from the convention. A recap:
Night 1: [----------------------------] size of roach inside the shower, largest I’ve ever seen in Northern America.
Night 2: Room heater had broken down and the hot water was not working… cold night in San Diego…
Night 3: The Maid had left the room window open after cleaning, which left easy access for anyone who walked by to pop off the screen and have their way with our valuables
When I approached the faculty – they said that it was procedure, and guaranteed that no one could have gotten into the room. From the looks of the room screens, it looks like it was very possible. I would recommend not staying in this facility for all the reasons above and for the fact that it was very expensive even for the area. A big mistake I will never make again.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed January 17, 2006

I was planning a trip to SD for a business conference at a fancy hotel-I am on a budget so I did ALOT of research online-getting alot of info from the SD Board of tourism website. I chose this hotel because of the price and the great location. I booked a non smoking room 3 months in advance and was very distressed when I got online a few days before my trip and saw these plus multiple other bad reviews-too late to cancel-they have a 48 hr cancellation policy-and everything else close was booked. My room was a smoking room-REEKED of smoke and goodness knows what else-I sat on a towel after removing the bed cover. There was urine on the toilet seat and even with all the lights on, you could barely see, I had hoped for a bathtub but without a can of Comet there was no way I was doing that. There was really nothing I could do-the price was right but I was really depressed and would suggest anyone staying here to bring a strong scented candle-there was also trains going by until late hours of the night. Pluses-very close to the convention center, Little Italy, and there's great Mexican food on the corner. One of the desk guys was very nice, helpful and gave me good directions-I like to walk everywhere. This hotel should thank their Lucky Stars to have this one good thing about their hotel.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled on business
5  Thank shansanfran
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed January 13, 2006

My husband and I stayed two nights at the Pacific Inn and Suites in San Diego and would not recommend it to anyone... ever. We were visiting San Diego to attend the Holiday Bowl and had driven 13 hours from Northern California to San Diego. The day of check-in I called the hotel at noon to let them know that we would be arriving at approximately midnight. I wanted to be sure that they did not give away our reservation. At 1:15am I received a phone call from the front desk manager asking where I was and why I had not called him to tell him I was going to be late. When we arrived at the hotel about ten minutes later this man was so rude to me. He told me I was inconsiderate and had no concerns for him, making him stay up all night until I arrived. I have never been treated so rudely by a member of a hotel staff. I reminded him that I was the customer... this didn't seem to matter to him. I got the feeling that he spoke to me this way because I was a woman... he did not speak to my husband rudely when my husband came to the lobby to find out what was going on. The reason we chose this hotel was because we were traveling with our two (elderly & well behaved) dogs. What a mistake. The room was filthy. I spent both nights sleeping with a hooded sweatshirt, sweatpants, gloves and socks so I wouldn't have to touch the sheets. The bathroom was a disgrace with old, stained towels. I would highly recommend that you do more investigating than I did when trying to find a pet-friendly hotel in San Diego, CA.

• Stayed: December 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
huntington beach, ca
Reviewed October 29, 2005

It is not worth your money....i specifically asked for a non smoking room and i got a room that smelled like an ash tray. they only show you pictures of the jacuzzi because the room looks like trash. If you want to get away make sure you don't end up here. Didn't even get the internet price they advertise!! horrbile service

• Stayed: October 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Redding, CA
Reviewed August 17, 2005

What a mistake staying at this motel! We stayed here on August 20th and were highly disapointed. I had reserved the room by calling the motel directly, and was assured a rate of $129.00. When we arrived and checked in, the price had gone up to $139.00. I told them what I was quoted and they insisted that they would never have quoted that. A complete lie! After leaving the office, another person who had checked in asked me what I had paid, because they felt they had been ripped off. They paid $269.00 for the same room! The motel was old and run down. The walls actually were smeared with dirt on the inside. The bathroom had tons of mold and the towels were old and dingy. The soap provided was the cheapest quality you could offer. They did not offer shampoo in a little bottle, but a TACO BELL type packet. All staff that worked there were completely rude and did not even care if you were unhappy. The soda and snack machine on the premises were completely empty. The only good thing I could say about this motel was the location.
Would never recommend this motel to anyone.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Tucson
Reviewed June 29, 2005

I booked way in advance for a 10 day stay and got the rate specified on the website. I got there and the floor was sticky, pubic hairs were in the towels, they had a horrible breakfast selection, stains in the sheets, very uncomfortable beds, no internet unless you dial up for a price, there was mold and spiderwebs in the bathroom, no elevators, and this really creepy guy knocked on the door at 3am. After one day we realized 10 days here will really ruin our vacation. I gave them 48 hours advance notice I'll be checking out early and so they doubled the price of the room. We were so ready to leave we paid the extra money and booked the Holiday Inn on the Bay. That stay was cheaper and better. And the Holiday Inn is a better location. The only good thing was the very friendly guy at the front desk. If I was just staying one night I would stay there. But if I'm going there for fun I'm staying as far away as possible.

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled on business
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 6, 2005

This place does not hold reservations and will likely give your room away if they find someone who will pay more, then try to overflow you to one of their lower class sister locations...This is a huge bait and switch scam that takes advantage of travelers!

We tried to check in with our printed booking confirmation and they claimed that they never received the reservation. They had no more rooms but were willing to call the Marina Inn down the street to get us a room at the same price (which by the way was in serious need of renovation, had a strong stench of smoke even though it was a no smoking room, burns in the curtains and TV screen, and black mold almost covering the entire bathroom floor). Unfortuantelly we did not read the reviews here first to see that this is a pattern of behavior for them, so my advice is not to risk the hassle and avoid these properties.

• Stayed: May 2005