“SMOKERS PARADISE”

Ranked #174 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Kailua KonaHawaii
“SMOKERS PARADISE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

DUMP, we were afraid to take off our shoes, I wouldn't go near the bedspread. This is bed bug city waiting to explode. The ROOMS are non-smoking, BUT no where else.. There is a small outside area with 2 vending machines and the ice machine. Our room was next to that. This is the smokers lounge, our room smelled like smoke. All night long some guy was out there hacking up a lung. People step one foot outside there door and light up. At "breakfast", if you can call it that, they have a couple small tables outside the lobby door where it is set-up and there was a guy smoking out there. If you are a smoker, this is the place for you. Staff was nice, except for Pete he could not be bothered. very low end accommodations, almost like a hostel, low low end
About a mile from Horton Plaza and Seaport Village

Room Tip: No good rooms, do not stay here, unless you are a smoker
1 Thank smooth776

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Stromness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stay here every time we visit San Diego, nice clean rooms, comfy beds, and nice staff! The location is good too, a short walk in to Little Italy, about a 2 min walk from the trolley station, close to the Maritime museum, and not far to walk to downtown.

Orkney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

The last 4 times we have stayed at the Pacific Inn and really like it ! Clean, friendly and only a short walk from the centre of town or to Little Italy. The trolly is only a very short walk. Love this place :)

Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

Very good value hotel & location for seeing the sights of San Diego. Close to the Harbour & Airport. Also short walking distance to Little Italy restaurant area & SD transportation Trolley station 'County Centre' There are 2 fast food diners on the same block as the hotel with a convenience store a few blocks away.
I found the hotel staff were friendly & helpful. I would stay here again on my next visit to SD.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana, Usa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

I spent one night at this motel. Breakfast was served late and when I wnt to take a shower, no water came out of the bath tub faucet. It was a Sunday and the manager said his maintenance man usually doesn't work on Sundays and it would be at least 10:00 am before he would come to fix it. This was at 8:15 am and my first conference meeting was in the morning. I asked for a refund and the manager refused. He wouldn't even consider a discounted price.

Room Tip: No water in the bath tub. It took a long time for the room to cool off and the temperatures outside...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Terri J

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Sunnyvale, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

The hotel was very appropriate for its price range with very clean and spacious room. The location is very good, you can get everywhere in San Diego by taking the trolley walking, or driving a short distance. The hotel is within walking distance to City Hall, the Maritime museum, the USS Midway, and Little Italy with a large variety of good restaurants. If you have a car, parking is free (not common in San Diego) and getting to the freeway was easy. Bed was very comfortable although the bathroom and TV are a bit outdated. Breakfast was simple: coffee, cereal, and fruits. Internet was reliable and fast. What distinguishes this hotel was how nice and knowledgeable were the people at the front desk. They were a great source of information and where to go and what to do in San Diego.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ca14rs
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

Overall, I felt the hotel owner and management was deceitful. The owner "D" WILL leave you stranded like what happened to us! They will blatantly ignore pre-paid deposit and confirmation e-mail sent out by their own employee.

The owner, "D", told us the hotel was sold out, and that there was no record of my reservation, and blame everyone else other than take responsibilities for himself. He will offer solutions, such as to move 2 - 3 hotels within the stay (ridiculous!), and blame you for not accepting the offer when it is not a doable plan. He will not help to put you in the hotel next door that is available. "D", said by letting me stay in the hotel next door will put him out of business (??).

This is what happened to us -
I made the reservation almost 1 year in advance through a 3rd party (Hostel World) that they had contract with. We paid 10% deposit upfront. Everything was confirmed so I felt I had a guarantee. As time got closer, few weeks prior to July's Comic Con, I e-mailed the hotel directly. I need to make our trip one day shorter and thought this would also be a good re-confirmation. The hotel wrote back to confirm they made the change to my reservation and I am good to go. In the body of the e-mail, they addressed my name, so it was not a "computer generated e-mail" as "D" explained to me. One of his employees had written the e-mail to me.

We were completely excited about being able to attend Comic Con, we got the admission tickets, we got the hotel, and we flew down. For those that are not familiar with this event, it is a 175,000+ attendees' sold out event held at San Diego Convention Center that one needs to plan a year in advance to have everything come together. It was a big deal! We planned and waited for an entire year. Of course, securing the hotel is almost close to impossible unless done way ahead of time, more so my double confirmation gave me the peace of mind.

Once we arrived at the hotel, Brendon was who we've worked with initially. When I showed him my reservation, he said there was a problem with my reservation; they needed to check with Hostel World to see how much their hotel is being charged. We waited around for him to make this confirmation. He went back and forth between the front desk and back room. He said he is still waiting for a response from Hostel World. We stepped aside to let others checked in. Brendon told us, don't worry, we still have rooms. We felt re-assured and wait around longer.

Then "D", the owner, as we later found out, came out. I asked how to address him, he said his name is David. (When I mentioned "David" later to his employee, they did not know David was. Upon my description, then said, oh, his name is not David, we called him "D" (?!).)

"D" said they tried to contact me the night before, but they did not have my phone number, to let me know there was a problem with my reservation. I have no idea what he was talking about, even if he did not have my phone number, he has my name and e-mail.

Now the story with our reservation has changed, and he tells me they have no record of my reservation at all. I was in total shock at this point, and showed him all the confirmation, paid deposit etc. He continued to repeat, "we don't have your reservation, there is nothing I can do for you". I said what about the deposit I paid? He said they have had problems with Hostel World and again he has no rooms for us.

What about that your employee just said that there were rooms for us? "D" said he didn't know why his employee said that. Well, neither do we. "D" first told me the confirmation e-mail I received from his hotel was "computer generated", then later said it was writen by his new employee, Brendon, who didn't check the reservation records.

I insisted that "D" continue to contact Hostel World while we waited. "D" said they cannot get hold of them, no one was answering, there is nothing he can do other than if we move 2 or 3 hotels (during a 6 night stay!). We did not have a rental car and to move 2 - 3 times is not manageable. I didn't understand how our situation went from having a pre-paid deposit and the recent e-mail confirmation, to needing to know what Hostel World is charging them, to no consecutive 6 day room for us, to absolutely no record of our reservation?

There were still people walking in to ask for rooms, and they were provided with quotes. I told "D", I want to listen to what Brendon was offering to people that are walking in, "D" didn't want me to know, so he continue to talk to me to distract me even when I turned away to look at the front desk.

I asked "D" to check other hotels next to theirs for availability, he found next door, Residence Inn, that has consecutive 6 night stay. I would have taken that as an alternative to the disastrous situation we were in. "D" said if he put me there, that would put him out of business. How can that be when he completely sold out his hotel rooms during this weekend? We went around and around the circle for more than 2 hours not going anywhere. We simply cannot accept his offer by packing and moving to a different hotel every other day, we would have missed the reason for staying close to the convention center to be there very early in the morning.

"D" continue to blame Hostel World, he blamed his employee, he blamed us, but nowhere in our conversation was an apology, offer to help me, or show good customer service to help resolve the situation. Our family travel extensively and worldwide, I had never had this kind of experience before where the owner of the property actually undermines his own business.

By this time, we were totally exhausted and upset, we missed our convention registration time and the preview night. I asked him to continue to contact Hostel World while my family discuss our options. During this time, "D" left the premises, I doubt he was still checking in with Hostel World for us.

In the end, we just want to get this over. We accepted to stay at one of their sister hotel, Point Loma Inn and Suite, which is about 6 miles ]further away from the convention center, so we don't have to move hotels during the stay. However, that puts our morning commute to the convention center 3 times longer!

By the time we got to the new hotel, we had wasted 3 hours (!!) on this hotel. As to what the hotel stay was like, we are not able to comment because we never got in.

For their sister hotel Point Loma Inn that they sent us to, I was shocked to find out by accident that they secretly made a copy of my driver's license without letting me know. Their room was full of problems, I wrote a review about our experience.

We contacted Hostel World after our trip which told us that once our reservation was confirmed, the hotel fully manages the reservation, they only serve as the intermediate party. "D" made Hostel World looked very bad.

I am very sad to say that this is the first time I've filed a BBB complaint against ANY business. I find my family's experience with Pacific Inn and Suite one that is deceitful and full of lies. I wish "D" stop his very dishonest practice to cheat travelers.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family