“clean and convenient”

Ranked #171 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Santa Barbara, California
“clean and convenient”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I was worried about the quality of service at this hotel considering its location and price range. I was pleasantly suprised when the manager Mr. Jayson upgrade me, free of charge, from 1 queen to 2 queen bed upon my request.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
GuestRelationsDept, Guest Relations Manager at Pacific Inn Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for allowing us to serve you, while still being weary of the location. Good to know you were able to have a positive experience, and we were able to provide you with outstanding service given from Jayson, an elite employee.
Thank you for your comments and taking the time in posting this review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Southern Oregon
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Reasonably priced for location. Very close to public transportation, ocean, Marine Museum, Midway Aircraft Carrier. Walked to Petco Park and Gas Lamp district. Could have taken the "train" to Old Town, but the closest station was closed. Was an easy drive there. Staff very helpful. Breakfast nothing to write home about -- typical free breakfast fare.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
GuestRelationsDept, Guest Services at Pacific Inn Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for writing your review! We are happy that your stay with us met your expectations! Our convenient location makes you close to the heart of San Diego. We hope you return and stay with our hotel again!
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I booked this hotel on a last minute decision to ditch a hostel booking where I'd have to change rooms several times. Considering my booking was during Comic Con International, it was really expensive over the Friday-Sunday portion of my stay even though I was barely in my room. However, on the days following Comic Con, the booking fee was reasonable.

The room I had was 103, which is right next to the reception office. Occasionally, I'd get a fright when I would hear a door handle being opened, thinking it was mine but it was actually the side door to the reception office. The desk staff (all male) are very friendly and were able to answer the majority of my questions and helped me with directions to various locations that I wanted to go to. The hotel is a little older style hotel. There's a fridge and a microwave in the room, as well as box-type TV with good reception. WiFi was fast enough on my tablet. The cleaning staff replace your towels everyday regardless of whether or not you leave them on the floor. My room was cleaned every day during my stay except for one day when it was possibly just randomly missed even though I didn't put the sign on the door.

The trolley and train tracks are directly behind the hotel, so it can be very noisy up until midnight when the trains/trolleys ring their bells and horns every 20-30 minutes. If you're a light sleeper, I wouldn't recommend staying here. However, since the trolley stop is so close to the hotel, its easy to travel downtown and to other locations. You can buy a $5 day tripper which can be used unlimited throughout the day on the trolley and buses.

The hotel provides a lovely breakfast of bagels, a selection of cereal and oatmeal, fruit, boiled eggs, coffee, tea and orange juice. You can eat your breakfast at the tables out the front of reception otherwise take it back to your room if the 3 tables are taken. In case you're just hanging out in your room,there's a Jack in the Box right next to the hotel, as well as a Mexican place across the street. Denny's is a couple of blocks down towards the Freeway and there's a 7Eleven around the block. If you need a few groceries or a pharmacy, there's a Rite Aid a few blocks from the hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Katrina T
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are happy that your stay with us was good. Our staff do what they can to make sure your stay is exceptional. We're happy to hear that our location was convenient for your needs. We're sorry that we missed cleaning your room on one of the days you stayed with us but please know, we do our best to make sure our housekeeping gets to everyone. We would love for you to return to our hotel again!
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I recently had a very bad experience with this hotel. I was attending a company conference and I had to get a hotel, most hotels in the area were full. After searching through Expedia I found a hotel that looked fairly good and proceeded to book a non smoking room, Expedia required prepayment for this hotel. When I arrived at the hotel, the manager informed me that he only had a recently converted room (smoking to non smoking) and that he had left the AC on and sprayed the room, the room was musty and had a strong odor of smoke. After I expressed my dissatisfaction with the room, he sent me down the street to another hotel that was a even less desirable that Pacific Inn And Suites. I immediately contacted Expedia and demanded a refund, Expedia refused to give me a refund because they honored the hotel managers word over mine and the hotel chain already billed Expedia’s account. I even asked the have the case escalated but Expedia’s management communicated the same message, the hotel manager even boasted that I would not get my money back. Well, I paid Expedia with my Amex Corporate Card who refunded the charge with out asking any questions.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Derron C
Thank you for writing your review. We apologize that your stay was not what you had hoped. We apologize that your room was disappointing for you. We do what we can to accomodate a guests needs, even sending you to one of our other hotels. We will keep your review in mind. Please don't let this experience discourage you from returning. We would love to have you come back and stay with us again!
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed July 12, 2012

The only good thing about this hotel was the staff. They were so nice and helpful about where to go, what to see, great with directions. They went above and beyond.

Now about the hotel. It is a dump. The room smelled awful, it was old, the bed was too hard, the bathroom was so gross I didn't even want to take a shower. The wifi barely worked and if you could even get a signal, you would keep loosing it. The worst thing is that it the train tracks are right behind the hotel and all you could hear was the loud train. It was impossible to sleep.

Spend the extra money and stay elsewhere

Room Tip: If you do decide to stay here ( I wouldn't) make sure you don't get the room behind the pool...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank barbieannk
Thank you for writing your review for our hotel. We are happy to know that our staff was helpful in your stay. We apologize that our room did not meet your expectations. Our wifi has been upgraded and it should be in working order. Please don't let this experience discourage you from returning. We would love to see you again!
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Room was clean and comfortable. We stayed in 103 which is right next to the office and it had a small frig and microwave. 3-4 blocks to the cruise ship terminal and the train depot. About a mile from the airport and I would recommend using the bus to get there. Bus fare $2.25 0r $1.10 if over 60. You can buy an all day pass for $5 and it is good on the trolley and buses. No senior discount on that. I had been told that coffee was available 24/7 in the lobby but turns out it wasn't. Also, some pictures online show a waffle maker and they don't have one. Complimentary breakfast was adequate with coffee, juice, hard boiled eggs, bagels, cold cereal and instant oatmeal packages and apples and oranges. Other reviewers have complained about the noise but this can't be helped as the train tracks run along the back of the hotel and a major street runs in front of it and the airport is about a mile away. But the location is so good, I would suggest just bring some ear plugs. Staff is very friendly. They do have a policy of charging your credit card for more than the amount of the stay and having you sign that charge and then re doing it on check out for the correct amount. Not sure why and some other hotels have this policy also

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Patrick and Mer... C
Thank you for your review. We are happy to know that your stay with us was good. We're glad to know that your room lived up to your expecation. Our staff do what they can to make sure your stay with us is the best. Please think of us on your next stay, we would love to see you again!
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I was there two nights, the room was clean and had everything I needed, but the real reason I'm writing is because of the staff. John let me check in early, gave great directions and saved me 30% on a harbor cruise. He also let me keep my truck parked on the lot after checking out so I could visit one more attraction. In this corporate world of rules and regulations, it is nice to experience a person that understands true customer service, Going the extra mile means everything to this consumer and I'm happy to recommend your hotel to everyone. Keep up the good work, I'll be back-

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Steve C
Thank you for writing a review on our hotel! We are pleased to know that our hotel made you happy. Our convenient location helps with making your stay more comfortable! We are glad to know that our staff was an exceptional part of your stay. We look forward to seeing you when you return!