“Pleasant, comfortable hotel, great location”
Review of Diamond Head Inn

Diamond Head Inn
Ranked #218 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I booked this hotel on the advice of a friend who had stayed there with her family many times. The location was right on the boardwalk at Pacific Beach, the room was comfortable and had a kitchenette. The hotel was clean and quiet and reasonably priced. I will definitely stay there again. The woman in the office, Hasna, was so warm and welcoming and I thoroughly enjoyed chatting with her. She made the place so inviting and is a valuable asset to the place.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Maggie M
jimsilver, General Manager at Diamond Head Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the advice of your friend and staying with us! We do hope you will come back and stay with us again very soon. I'll be sure to let Hasna know about your comments. We are seriously concentrating on service, and I'm glad it's noticeable.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

the price is reasonable for the beach - that is the best news - kind of like camping indoors. The unit was too dark. The sofa pullout could not be slept on without extra cushioning. The TV in the bedroom had been ripped off the tabletop and not replaced. The worst actually was the absence of electrical outlets in the kitchen. The coffeemaker had to sit on the table and barely reached the single outlet. The toaster would not reach the outlet without an extension which I am sure is against fire code and was a tripping hazard. The refrig door shelves were broken and unusable. It was quiet enough and one had a small ocean view thru the kitchen window. Overall the 1 bedroom was fine for two people, crowded for 3 (one on the sofa). I would suggest bringing a lamp and an extension cord tho!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank simon4322

Thank you for your review. I guess when we last renovated, we didn't consider the extra appliances we would be needing now. I admit that we are a little overdue on renovation, and the good news is that we are getting ready for a fairly extensive upgrade. It sounds like you were in room number 108 by your description. That room has always been dark as hardly any sunlight is accessed through the windows. We do, however, have many very bright rooms with some full ocean views with balconies overlooking the beach! I do hope you will try us again, and please ask about the better view. Thank you, again!

Reviewed February 14, 2013

The rooms have full kitchenettes and you cannot beat the LOCATION or the PRICE. I absolutely loved my time at the Diamond Head Inn and I will be staying there again. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, the staff are wonderful! They never made me feel like I was a bother asking for another pillow and blanket . A great choice to stay for someone that doesnt need a 5 star hotel and wants to be in the heart of Pacific Beach, right on the ocean. This is a great 3 star motel. Thanks for a wonderful stay. I'll be back!

Room Tip: My choice would be ocean facing but if you just need to be near the water and a good sleep then take...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Robinstravels
jimsilver, General Manager at Diamond Head Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

We are very happy to hear that you will choose us again the next time you are in Pacific Beach! I know you really enjoyed your stay, but we have some upgrades that will be taking place inside of the rooms very soon. And, like we always have, we are striving to be the best at customer service to help make your next stay even better than your last.

Thank you!

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I am VERY PICKY! I will come again without any doubt and I am telling everyone I can how wonderful it is considering the location and price!!! The bedding, room, and grounds were very clean! Very impressive for the age of the hotel! Continental Breakfast was just like every hotel serves...Danish's, coffee, tea, OJ. Ok so the remotes for the tv's didn't work and we had to walk to the TV. Oh well, we weren't there for TV. ;) The parking is terrible but ALL of California especially around the beaches is packed. We only actually drove anywhere 1 time. Quite a few restaurants close by along with a couple small stores so there was no need to drive. If you decide to go elsewhere to stay...just means more room for me and my friends in the future :P. :) ~Couple in late 40's~

Room Tip: I believe there were only two balcony rooms. But who goes there to sit in the room and stare at an o...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ResearchedTraveler

Thank you, and we will be more than happy to accommodate you both again in the hopefully very near future. Just to let you know, we are updating the rooms very soon and this, along with the perfect location, should make us a very desireable place to stay for just about anyone. Yes, the parking is an issue for some, but like you said, there are so many choices of restaurants and shops within walking distance. And, of course, the beach is right here!!!

Thank you very much!

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Parking was problematic. Outside light could not be turned off and shined into room with inadequate curtain. Breakfast is just a few poor pastries and juice/coffee. But it is a beautiful location right on the beach.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
jimsilver, General Manager at Diamond Head Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Well, it sounds like you did not like your stay with us. I do apologize for that, and hope you will reconsider us again in the future. I know we do not offer a wide variety of items for the breakfast, but we do at least offer bakery made fresh pastries every morning. I also know that there are other locations that offer a full free breakfast, and we have a few of those hotels associated with us as well. But, for the guest that is looking for a kitchen, and a fantastic location, the parking is a minor inconvenience. In fact, we do offer free parking just one block away if you can not find parking at the property. Thank you for your comments!

Reviewed January 16, 2013

My fiancé and I stayed there last night and I was pleasantly surprised.
I saw a good deal on the net and instead of going through a third party the front desk was able to honor that price which I thought was great. When we went inside the room I thought it was pretty awesome that there was a kitchenette inside, with seating and a dinning table. even though we weren't planning on cooking, I may just come back if we find a good enough deal and stay for a couple more nights, take advantage of having a home cooked meal and walking to bars.
It's great having the beach right outside your door and every bar walking distance. We just wanted to have a staycation, and not drink and drive and this was a perfect little spot.
It was clean and quiet which was also nice.
I also work at a resort, and find it somewhat annoying when people don't say anything til after the fact when it's in a bad review. If you have a complaint, bring it to their attention, I'm sure they will try their best to accommodate you so they won't lose your business.
But this place was great and I'll be coming back for sure!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jessica A
jimsilver, General Manager at Diamond Head Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Perfectly put! I wish every guest would give us the opportunity to make any issue, no matter how small, good. Not too many guests really take advantage of the kitchen area their first time with us. It does kind of entice you after seeing it there, especially if you decide to stay a few nights.

We are very happy that you have discovered us, and we look forward to your return. And, speaking of returning, please mention to us that you have stayed with us previously and we'll give you a return discount. Thank you!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I use to stay at the Diamond Head Inn every year in the Fall for a week but after my trip this year I will not be staying in the future due to the staining on the furnishings and the carpet. I have always stayed in the one bedroom suite with deck facing the ocean, which is their best room. I had to go out and buy a blanket to cover the couch due to unknown stains and burn marks, put towels down on the chairs to sit and never took my shoes off as the carpet was heavily stained. I have stayed in hundreds of hotels and this was by far the most disgusting room I have ever stayed in, I still get a sick feeling when I think about my stay a few weeks ago, I even ended up checking out early due to the condition of the room. I would of given this hotel three or four stars a few years ago based on location and price but back then the carpet was new and furnishings only had minor staining. Not sure when the Owner last inspected this hotel but he should consider new Management immediately

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
jimsilver, General Manager at Diamond Head Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Well, we are very sorry you feel the way you do. I have commented on this issue over the past few weeks promising that we are redoing all of the sofa sleepers, and the carpets. This should all be accomplished by February at the very latest. And, we do clean our carpets quite often, but the stains just reappear. I do hope that you will come back again, as it should be very nice again very soon.