“Diamond”

Ranked #228 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Diamond”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

The rooms have full kitchenettes and you cannot beat the LOCATION or the PRICE. I absolutely loved my time at the Diamond Head Inn and I will be staying there again. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, the staff are wonderful! They never made me feel like I was a bother asking for another pillow and blanket . A great choice to stay for someone that doesnt need a 5 star hotel and wants to be in the heart of Pacific Beach, right on the ocean. This is a great 3 star motel. Thanks for a wonderful stay. I'll be back!

Room Tip: My choice would be ocean facing but if you just need to be near the water and a good sleep then take...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Robinstravels
jimsilver, General Manager at Diamond Head Inn, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
We are very happy to hear that you will choose us again the next time you are in Pacific Beach! I know you really enjoyed your stay, but we have some upgrades that will be taking place inside of the rooms very soon. And, like we always have, we are striving to be the best at customer service to help make your next stay even better than your last.

Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

I am VERY PICKY! I will come again without any doubt and I am telling everyone I can how wonderful it is considering the location and price!!! The bedding, room, and grounds were very clean! Very impressive for the age of the hotel! Continental Breakfast was just like every hotel serves...Danish's, coffee, tea, OJ. Ok so the remotes for the tv's didn't work and we had to walk to the TV. Oh well, we weren't there for TV. ;) The parking is terrible but ALL of California especially around the beaches is packed. We only actually drove anywhere 1 time. Quite a few restaurants close by along with a couple small stores so there was no need to drive. If you decide to go elsewhere to stay...just means more room for me and my friends in the future :P. :) ~Couple in late 40's~

Room Tip: I believe there were only two balcony rooms. But who goes there to sit in the room and stare at an o...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ResearchedTraveler
Thank you, and we will be more than happy to accommodate you both again in the hopefully very near future. Just to let you know, we are updating the rooms very soon and this, along with the perfect location, should make us a very desireable place to stay for just about anyone. Yes, the parking is an issue for some, but like you said, there are so many choices of restaurants and shops within walking distance. And, of course, the beach is right here!!!

Thank you very much!
San Diego
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

Parking was problematic. Outside light could not be turned off and shined into room with inadequate curtain. Breakfast is just a few poor pastries and juice/coffee. But it is a beautiful location right on the beach.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

jimsilver, General Manager at Diamond Head Inn, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Well, it sounds like you did not like your stay with us. I do apologize for that, and hope you will reconsider us again in the future. I know we do not offer a wide variety of items for the breakfast, but we do at least offer bakery made fresh pastries every morning. I also know that there are other locations that offer a full free breakfast, and we have a few of those hotels associated with us as well. But, for the guest that is looking for a kitchen, and a fantastic location, the parking is a minor inconvenience. In fact, we do offer free parking just one block away if you can not find parking at the property. Thank you for your comments!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

My fiancé and I stayed there last night and I was pleasantly surprised.
I saw a good deal on the net and instead of going through a third party the front desk was able to honor that price which I thought was great. When we went inside the room I thought it was pretty awesome that there was a kitchenette inside, with seating and a dinning table. even though we weren't planning on cooking, I may just come back if we find a good enough deal and stay for a couple more nights, take advantage of having a home cooked meal and walking to bars.
It's great having the beach right outside your door and every bar walking distance. We just wanted to have a staycation, and not drink and drive and this was a perfect little spot.
It was clean and quiet which was also nice.
I also work at a resort, and find it somewhat annoying when people don't say anything til after the fact when it's in a bad review. If you have a complaint, bring it to their attention, I'm sure they will try their best to accommodate you so they won't lose your business.
But this place was great and I'll be coming back for sure!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jessica A
jimsilver, General Manager at Diamond Head Inn, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Perfectly put! I wish every guest would give us the opportunity to make any issue, no matter how small, good. Not too many guests really take advantage of the kitchen area their first time with us. It does kind of entice you after seeing it there, especially if you decide to stay a few nights.

We are very happy that you have discovered us, and we look forward to your return. And, speaking of returning, please mention to us that you have stayed with us previously and we'll give you a return discount. Thank you!
Larkspur, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I use to stay at the Diamond Head Inn every year in the Fall for a week but after my trip this year I will not be staying in the future due to the staining on the furnishings and the carpet. I have always stayed in the one bedroom suite with deck facing the ocean, which is their best room. I had to go out and buy a blanket to cover the couch due to unknown stains and burn marks, put towels down on the chairs to sit and never took my shoes off as the carpet was heavily stained. I have stayed in hundreds of hotels and this was by far the most disgusting room I have ever stayed in, I still get a sick feeling when I think about my stay a few weeks ago, I even ended up checking out early due to the condition of the room. I would of given this hotel three or four stars a few years ago based on location and price but back then the carpet was new and furnishings only had minor staining. Not sure when the Owner last inspected this hotel but he should consider new Management immediately

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
jimsilver, General Manager at Diamond Head Inn, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Well, we are very sorry you feel the way you do. I have commented on this issue over the past few weeks promising that we are redoing all of the sofa sleepers, and the carpets. This should all be accomplished by February at the very latest. And, we do clean our carpets quite often, but the stains just reappear. I do hope that you will come back again, as it should be very nice again very soon.

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

The positive: very friendly, helpful hotel staff.

The negative: literally everything else about this motel!! Its old, it needs fixing from top to bottom, no air conditioning, the kitchenette is empty of cooking utensils, no parking, paper thin walls, lots of parties and loud noise all night long, doors don't close properly, toilet leaked, the bathroom fan sounded like it was dying, not enough towels for our group size, don't count on the breakfast, it literally has no services, and generally speaking absolutely nothing works... I would never go back!
(And I don't recommend you go either unless you are a surfer and want proximity to big autumn waves, that's all there is here).

You can stay at way nicer places for the same price per night. The kitchenette isn't worth it, its not even fully stocked and its the same mini fridge you would get in any standard room. Even the beach proximity isn't worth it (because there are so many other choices all along the beaches).

My suggestion: go stay at the Catamaran Inn, with powdery soft sand, beachfront, protected bay and water sports and restaurants right on the property.

Room Tip: My suggestion: go stay at the Catamaran Inn, with powdery soft sand, beachfront, protected bay and w...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
jimsilver, General Manager at Diamond Head Inn, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Well, I'm guessing that this was not your type of place to stay. We do have the basics stocked in every room's kitchen, and are willing to get just about anything else you may require or request for the kitchen. It's not unheard of us going out and purchasing items of special request. The property is located close to the beach and many other points of interest, and is usually priced on the lower or medium end. As for the condition of the rooms, we are planning on redoing the rooms this winter which should make them perfect for anyone who wants to visit Pacific Beach. Unfortunately, parking is very limited next to the property, but we do offer free parking at our other two places just one and two blocks away. Although, It does seem as if almost every guest can find a place for their vehicle along the street in front on Diamond Street.

I appreciate you staying with us and your comments as well. Thank you.
Peoria, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband and I just got back from San Diego where we stayed for the 4th and last time and Diamond Head Inn. We liked this hotel only for it's proximity to the beach. Rooms are kind of old but adequate/no air conditioning but decently priced. I had called to make reservations specifically because in the past, we have had a couple problems booking rooms on line. When we got to the hotel, I had to sign their paperwork which I didn't think much of at the time but was not wearing my glasses so I just signed their receipt assuming it was accurate (my fault). After 2 nights (we were staying 3) imagine my surprise when we got a call about us checking out. The staff did make a reservation for us at their "sister property" a couple of blocks away but other than that, they didn't care and offered no apologies for THEM making an error with the reservations. We were planning on making reservations for next summer while we were there but did not do it and will not give them our business in the future. Yes, it was my fault for not looking closely at the paperwork, but they just did not care. When I made the reservations, they would only give me a confirmation number and would not send me a confirmation email which I asked for.

Room Tip: They only have 2 rooms with a balcony that face the beach. We will be finding another hotel for all...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Car888
jimsilver, General Manager at Diamond Head Inn, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Well, I'm sorry for the mixup with your reservations, but please know that we do take every reservation seriously. I am glad we had accommodations for you and your family at our new property located just one block north. And, I do hope that you will change your mind and decide to stay with us again next year. As you probably already know, I will would be happy to personally take care of your reservations. And, being a prior guest gives you an automatic discount with us at any of the three properties we have in the area. I do hope you will accept my apologies for what happened. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay.