“Budget accomodation”

Ranked #230 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Manchester
“Budget accomodation”
Reviewed September 10, 2011

I was travelling as part of a tour group for 18-35's. This is a budget accomodation that was clean and comfortable. The rooms had effective air conditioning, a large fridge, coffee making facilities and a small outdoor swimming pool. It was nice to have to have the option of a dip after a busy day exploring!
There were food shops within walking distance and a garage nearby.
Beds were remade daily and the linen was changed. It was no luxury but perfectly fine as a base for exploring just for a few days.
Personally, I was disappointed in breakfast. The toasters didn't work and the fruit was more than ripe. If I were to visit again I would sort out my own breakfast.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank travellintitch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Indonesian first
White Rock, Canada
Reviewed September 9, 2011

My granddaughter and I booked this hotel as it was close to Seaworld.
In all my travels I have never stayed in such a dive! I put a chair against
the door, as I was afraid for our safety. I cannot believe they recommend
this as one of the places to stay by Seaworld. We moved across the
way to the Comfort Inn and it was a hundred times better for the same
cost!

Room Tip: Filthy bedding! Afraid to sleep in bed or walk barefoot on carpeting!
1 Thank Munchdog

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Ramsey, NJ
Reviewed August 29, 2011

We chose this hotel for the final few days of our trip, looking for something roomy enough for 4, affordable, and with parking and breakfast. The king suite room was a bit type for 4, but certainly acceptable; The price was definitely right; The breakfast was nothing to write home about, but plentiful and acceptable; And the parking is incredibly tight, but there were enough spots that you didn't need to struggle to fit into some wacky space.

Unfortunately there was construction right next door, that woke us up at abt 7:30 am. But we asked to have our room changed and that made it much more bearable.

Two more plusses; The staff was incredibly helpful and friendly. And the pool was nice; and generally uncrowded.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the construction
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank KWKSUBS
Wyoming
Reviewed August 27, 2011

I have stayed there a few times. The beds are outstanding, clean and comfortable. The breakfast is wonderful with a cook for some fresh cooked choices. I will return.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank UncleStevie
Ventura, California
Reviewed August 23, 2011

I booked this hotel with the fact I was paying a budget price,I did do my research and knew it had mixed reviews but more positive than negative.

So, with that knowledge in mind, I was prepared for basic, no frills.

Loved the proximity to Seaworld and Mission Bay, the Zoo etc - my main priority. Free parking and internet also a plus.

Free breakfast...interesting arrangement in a separate building across the street - kind of a free for all with broken toasters, tired looking fruit and basic bagels...but hey it was included in the price. What isn't is the hot breakfast - yours for additional $5 per person. Kinda missed that in the booking process...hmmm.

The room though tidy and with newish bathroom and sink fittings, had a carpet I didn't dare walk on barefoot. Enough said.

Details which were just annoying and unnecessary:

Two shampoos and no conditioner.

Missing drawer in the coffee machine for the coffee filter pouch. When I called front desk, they seemed to have prescience on the subject and answered me before I got the word coffee out of my mouth. Apparently this was 'a new thing they're trying'. What? To bamboozle the guest for a simple cup of coffee? Why? I guess if I'd opened the coffee first and saw it was a bag like a tea bag instead of a pouch I'd have worked out that the machine was being 'McGyvered' to fit bags instead of pouches...of course!. Bizarre.

So lesson learnt - overall I got what I paid for and little extra for my trouble.

3 Thank tysonsworld
Calgary
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Dingy hotel next to an empty lot where homeless people gathered (very sad). Not only were the rooms not clean, but nothing worked; the coffee maker was broken and the a/c was soooo loud. Customer service was non existant. They offered free breakfast, but if you did not purchase the breakfast upgrade for $5/person, you got broken toasters and never enough cereal. They offered free shuttle to Sea World, which we took advanatge of, but we regreted not taking our rental car since it ended up being free parking at SW, and the shuttle did not come to pick us up when they said they would. So it costs us more to take a cab back. Sorry to say, we would not stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Shearer4
Park City, Utah
Reviewed August 16, 2011

We chose this hotel over other same priced area hotels because the other reviews said the breakfast was great. But, when we got there, the front desk told me that since I had booked through a 3rd party like priceline, we would have to pay an additional $5 per person if we wanted any of the "warm" food like eggs or pancakes. On the second day, I decided to pony up and buy the warm food, at which point, the front desk said it was free and asked me who had told me I had to pay in the first place...and it was the same person who had told me! Also- our air conditioner made jet airline noises in the middle of the night and shot pieces of plastic into the room each night. Maintenance told me it was fine and didn't need to be fixed. The location is near many things, but it felt a bit questionable. The building corridors and design are dark and creepy. The room was fine, but we certainly dreaded coming back to the hotel for 3 nights. The only reason we stayed all 3 nights was because we had prepaid through a 3rd party and didn't think we could get our money back. This is the first time I have ever felt the need to write a review for any hotel...stay away from this hotel!

3 Thank Laurie L