“Very nice stay, helpful staff and great accommodations”

Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley
Ranked #160 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Spent the weekend with a large group of people. The front desk and all staff were always friendly and ready to solve any small issues we had. The property coordinator was very professional and tried all she could to accomplish everything we had in our contract.

The only thing I had more expectations was the breakfast. they have a little "bistro" on site and the regular full breakfast we find in our trips was not included. I guess this is the standard for soccer teams going to San Diego area. Not the 1st time I see this happening, in more than one location.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
GMCourtyardSD, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Hello wrknfun!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us in November. It's feedback like yours that lets us know what we are doing right.

I'm glad to hear that we met your expectations with regards to our staff, including our property coordinator.

As for the breakfast, the Grab n' Go's you received as part of the Sports Team you were with is what is usually negotiated in the main contract for each team. However, there is always the option to have an upgraded breakfast option for the team and would just need let your team contact know that when working with the Sales Office on the contract.

If I can ever be of assistance for your teams future stays at our hotel when traveling to San Diego, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley

Reviewed October 8, 2013

I had a room booked at this hotel for me because I was going to interview a close by company. This place is really nice and quiet. It has a nice yard and tiny pool. The location is also good because it is close to some of the high-tech companies around and also 15 min driving to La Jolla plus 25 min to airport

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
GMCourtyardSD, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Hello Behzad A!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor about your stay with us back in June 2013. I'm thrilled to hear that our hotel and staff was the perfect match for your traveling needs to be both productive and relaxing.

I look forward to sharing your comments to the entire staff at our next daily meeting on how we met those expectations you had.

If I can ever be of personal assistance in future reservations at our hotel when traveling to the Sorrento Mesa area, please do not hesitate to reach out to me at any time.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

This was a great hotel. Remodeled and in a perfect location. Easy access to the 5 freeway and not far from San Diego and the great parts of La Jolla. The service was excellent and the hotel management was happy to adjust the departure date a few times. The room was very nice with a separate bedroom, two flat screen TVs and all the amenities you could want. They had a bistro there that served excellent meals and it was priced fairly. The interior decorations were very modern and you could see that everything was being maintained very well. As always, with these non full-service hotels, there just are not enough washers/dryers. The pool was nice and so was the exercise room. One thing that I really appreciate is with a longer stay, the staff acknowledges you and knows who you are when you buy a drink at the shop or in general have something you need assistance with. The Marriott brand, in my opinion, has outdone itself with the Courtyard by Marriotts and Residence Inns vs. their actual full service hotels. I would rather stay at the CY opposed to their other brands. I will definitely stay at this hotel again the next time I am in that area.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
GMCourtyardSD, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Hello Goeverywhere83!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us at the Courtyard Sorrento Mesa back in August!

It's feedback like yours that helps us know we are on the right path to providing great customer service and a wonderful product.

I look forward to sharing your comments with the staff at our next daily meeting in about 25 minutes and they will be just as thrilled to hear that they met and exceeded your expectations during your stay.

If there is anything I can personally assist you with in regards to future reservations at our hotel, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at any time.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

They one thing most people like about Courtyards is that they all the same in layout, décor and amenities. That is what I do not like about them. A couple of weeks ago I stayed at one in Connecticut and was a bit revolted by the hideous wallpaper: Very dark reddish brown with tan branches floor to ceiling, and annoying pictures od stone walkways and a water spotted huge leaf in the bathroom. Now, in San Diego, the same visual attack hit my eyes.
The room was fairly clean but I was grossed out by the toilet. At first, I thought the blackness in the bottom was something for which I would need to leave this hotel. But it turned out to be a moldy stain from it not being properly scrubbed for a very long time.
Another thing I discovered at Marriot is that there is seldom a phone on the desk, but always at the bed. This hotel had (Hooray!) a phone on the desk . . .but it did not work.
The hand soap for the bathroom sink has no soap dish, so in the morning, it was melted into a slimy disgusting pile on the counter top. But the plus amenity was the bath towels. They were great for exfoliating layers of dead skin along with a few layers of live skin.
I have stayed at this hotel before buy I feel it has come down a notch. The staff at check-in was efficient and friendly. But since I have spent hundreds of days in hotels over the past few years I notice what is good or bad. Sorry to say it is just average and not justifiable coverage for the price.

Room Tip: There is an excellent Holiday Inn about a half mile east.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Bob B

Hello Bob B.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor about your stay with us in September.

It's feedback of an experienced traveler like yours that gives us areas of opportunity to focus on. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations on this stay, compared to the previous ones you've had at our propery. Please rest assured that your comments have been passed on and discussed by the Management team here to follow up and share with the associates at the hotel.

Please let me know if you'd like to discuss further and if I can ever be of assistance for future stays at our hotel, to give us another chance to meet and exceed your expectations, I'm only a phone call or email away.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I found this hotel online by accident through the Marriott website. I was looking for a hotel near La Jolla since I was going to a class reunion on the beach. This hotel was perfectly located and what a find! I checked in about 2:30 pm and was greeted by the front desk in a most congenial manner and my online requests were met to a tee! I was given a 3rd floor (top floor) room and was absolutely overwhelmed at the wonder of the room. Beautifully appointed furniture, a wonderful king size bed, huge workstation for computer or other electronics, a very large flat screen LG TV with remote and it was close to the bed which is unusual. The bathroom was huge with a separate sink/dressing area with mirrored closets. All of the amenities were just to perfection. A refrigerator, coffeemaker and lots of drawers and space. And a large unique sofa bed to lounge on while watching TV. My only regret was that I could not stay longer to enjoy the hotel. There is a lounge and small snacking cafe in the lobby but didn not get to partake. Upon checking out, I missed the morning breakfast time but the bar staff was able to give me a complimentary cup of Starbucks coffee to go. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is traveling in the north San Diego County area as a rest and relaxation highlight to your trip.

Room Tip: I chose a top floor for the quiet. Even though the hotel is off the freeway, you need to think abou...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
GMCourtyardSD, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Hello Janet M!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us in September! We are always looking for feedback on what we are doing right and what our areas of opportunity may be.

I'm thrilled to hear how wonderful your stay was at our hotel! The Management team all smiled at the title to your review and will be our mantra going forward. Your review is so detailed that we will be able to share it with all the different departments on how wonderful you thought everything was.

I hope you had a fantastic time at your class reunion and once again thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review about your stay with us.

If I can ever be of personal assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Spent 3 nights here as part of a wedding party. Very conveniently located to the wedding location which was directly across the street at Karl Strauss Brewery. Very nice updated decor. Friendly staff. Comfortable rooms, although the energy saving lights were a little unpredictable and unreliable. They were on motion sensors and timers, with no switches. They would often take a very long time to turn off, when we could have turned them off ourselves, saving more energy! Also, the rate did not include breakfast. There was the little Marriott cafe in the lobby, with very limited and very expensive options. Other than that, the only nearby restaurants were the McDonald's in the next block, and Chili's a few blocks away. We spent a night prior to our stay at the Holiday Inn a few blocks away. The Marriott was a decent stay, but all in all, the Holiday Inn was a much better deal. Bigger rooms, lower rates, and breakfast included. If you need to stay in the Sorrento Mesa area, pick the Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank easnyder
GMCourtyardSD, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Hello phoxy03!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor about your stay at our hotel, the Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Mesa. I'm thrilled to hear that our product, guest services and overall cleanliness met your expectations.

I'm glad we could be the hotel of choice for the wedding you attended and hope that you enjoyed your time with friends and family.

If I can ever be of assistance for future reservations at our hotel, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at any time.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Very convenient location -- right near I-805 highway. Despite that, it is very quiet.
The hotel itself has Starbucks coffee and basic breakfast. However a better deal is Cafe Opera, two blocks south. If you are into beers, there is a nice brewery across the road.
It is fairly easy to get to La Jolla, and getting to downtown is also easy.
Downside -- there is nothing to do in the near vicinity (you are mainly surrounded by Qualcomm buildings), and you have to have a car.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Hello Zm_Gorynych!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us at the Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Mesa in August! Your scores and comments are very important to the staff and myself to ensure that we know what we are doing right and the areas of opportunity we have to ensure every guest has a great stay.

I'm thrilled to hear that overall, we were a great hotel for you while traveling to the area on business. Your comments will be shared with the entire team at our next daily meeting.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write the review and if I can ever be of assistance for future reservations at our hotel, please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally.