“Will NOT stay here again”

Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley
Ranked #166 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed September 20, 2012

$189 per night and this is what I get. Ugh. A few good things about this hotel but so many bad things. There is an upgraded lobby, but that only gives the appearance of a modern hotel. The building is old. The carpet doesn't need to be shampooed; it needs to be replaced. I wouldn't even walk bare-footed in my room. Carpet in elevators and hallways is even worse. There is no soundproofing whatsoever. They did not honor the Gold Elite benefits; how is that even possible? And in a place with balconies where you want fresh air, they allow smoking in the courtyard of all things, so there is no fresh air to be found anywhere. The whole hotel stinks like cigarettes.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
GMCourtyardSD, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Hello KNichols528!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us in September. We take all feedback from our travelers, especially our Elite members, to heart and it gives us an opportunity to improve in the areas certain travelers deem not up to standard. With the quality of the rooms, I did want to let you know we are going to complete a room renovation which will be completed by the middle of November.

Again, I do apologize that your stay was not what you've come to expect from a Courtyard by Marriott and would like to speak with you to resolve some of the issues that came up during you stay. Please reach out to the hotel at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

My wife and I can't say enough about this hotel and its spectacular staff. As frequent travelers and Gold Marriott Rewards members, we were upgraded to a lovely "junior suite" upon check-in, which was much larger than the average Courtyard room. Though it may not be the newest of properties and is showing some signs of wear, we found the rooms and common areas to be clean, comfortable, and spacious. The lobby had undergone the usual Courtyard remodel and was a warm, welcoming space to work and relax with a drink. The large, sparkling whirlpool was especially lovely after a long drive. What truly made our stay most enjoyable was the helpful, friendly staff. From the front desk to the staff at the restaurant/bar, we were always greeted with a smile. They went above and beyond to make our stay comfortable, even going so far as to allow a late afternoon checkout for me (as I was working from the hotel as my wife was onsite with a client). We always felt very welcome - which can't always be said about staying at a hotel.

We have not always been pleased with the sterile, highly business-traveler oriented, unfriendly confines of the Courtyards we've statyed at, but this one is among the best we've patronized. I'd definitely recommend to both business travelers and vacationers alike. Thanks for a great stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the inner courtyard. Many rooms have patios/balconies, and it seems quieter on the...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Hello SierraMadreTraveler!

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your September stay with us on TripAdvisor. It's your feedback that helps us maintain the high level of service travelers, like yourself, have come to expect from a Marriott property.

It sounds like your stay with us was both relaxing and productive and I couldn't be more proud of the staff for taking care of you so well.

I also wanted to let you know that we will be finished with a complete room renovation in November 2012, which will eliminate those "signs of wear" you noticed during your stay.

If I can ever be of assistance on future stays at our property when traveling to the San Diego area, please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally anytime.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Easily the noisiest hotel I have encountered in decades. The hotel is deceiving as it has a beautiful entrance and lobby that looks brand new. However, this facade hides an old worn out hotel poorly constructed where noise abounds. They did have location as we were attending a wedding at the Karl Strauss Brewery just across the street.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jwwcpa
GMCourtyardSD, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Hello jwwcpa!

Thank you for taking the time to write a response on Trip Advisor regarding your stay with us in September.

I'm terribly sorry our hotel did not live up to the expectations that you expect from a Courtyard by Marriott hotel while traveling for a wedding.

The good news is we are in the process of beginning a complete rooms renovation in the winter and will help to update the "old worn" out feeling you felt our hotel had.

Should you decide to give us another chance after the renovation and on your next trip to the San Diego area, I'd ask that you reach out to me personally to assist you with your reservation needs.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed over Labor Day weekend and were pleasantly surprised at the quality of this hotel for the good price we got. It is convenient, right off the 805, though in a more business area so you have to drive to eat, play, etc. The lobby and courtyard were nice places to sit and congregate with friends so good for a group. The grab and go breakfast included was only fruit and cereal, but you could buy other food and they serve Starbucks in the lobby. Only reason it did not get 5 stars is the size and layout of the bathroom in the rooms - only 1 sink and a very small sink/mirror area which was tough with a family of 4. Beds were comfy queens and rooms were clean. Ask for a room facing the inner courtyard rather than the parking lot- though it may be noisier with the pool, etc, it was a nice place to sit as first floor rooms had patios with chairs on the courtyard. Best of all was the staff - Everyone from front desk to housekeeping and the maintenance crew had a smile and a hello when you saw them and never seemed bothered by any request. We would definitely stay again on our many trips to SD.

Room Tip: Rooms off inner courtyard have patios or balconies with chairs facing pool/courtyard. Can be noisie...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Hello travelingagain08!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us at our hotel in September!

I'm very pleased with how pleasantly surprised you were at the quality, location convenience and service of our hotel and staff. I will be sure to share your comments about how everyone on our staff, no matter the department, had a smile on their face and greeted you when you saw them.

We will be undergoing a complete room renovation in the winter, which I think you'll be even more pleasantly surprised at how great our hotel will look after.

If I can be of any assistance with future reservations at our hotel on your next trip to the San Diego area, please feel free to reach out to me directly and I'd be more than happy to assist you.

Once again, thank you for your comments and look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

This Courtyard is very conveniently located for Del Mar, La Jolla, or San Diego. The place is clean enough, and comfortable, but it was full of noisy little kids running about, playing in the lobby, shouting in the hallways, just totally oblivious and indifferent to the other patrons. Where were their parents?
Last time I will stay here.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
GMCourtyardSD, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Hello LosAngelesChuck,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us in September.

I apologize for the noise caused by the kids running around our hotel making your stay not as relaxing as it should have been. While we do everything we can from an operational standpoint to limit the noise, we do have to rely a little on the parents to be aware of their surroundings and the other guests staying in the hotel. However, this weekend we had several sports teams staying with us and we do our best to allocate certain floors or sides of the building to them.

Please know that what you experienced is not the norm for our hotel, as sports teams only come in 3-4 times a year and should you choose to give our location another chance to meet your expectations, please reach out to me directly and I would be more than happy to assist you with your reservations.

Sincerely

Reviewed August 26, 2012

This Courtyard is a great location near the 805 freeway. It is very quiet with very nicely kept grounds, a pool, and relaxation areas. Staff was very courteous and we had a very nice and fast check in. Nice lobby with plenty of comfortable seating. A car is a must if staying at this property.
Free parking.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank lalotp

Hello Lalotp!

Thank you for taking the time to write a response on Trip Advisor with regards to your stay with us in August. I'm very happy to hear that overall, your stay with us was a great one and a good value.

I apologize about the printers not having ink and have spoken to the Managers on property about how we can ensure going forward that we aren't waiting till a guest informs us that they've run out of ink.

We are pleased to announce that we will be undergoing a room renovation in the winter and will have a brand new room product in December. We are excited about this enhancing our guests’ stays with us and hope that you can come visit us again once it is complete.

If there is anything else I can assist you with for future reservations at our hotel, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly!

Sincerely

Reviewed August 10, 2012

I picked this hotel because it was in a convenient location for my business visit. Otherwise, I did not pick the hotel because there is not many you can do at day/night. The hotel was clean and staffs were decent, but nothing exceptional. I guess this is what you expect for a business trip.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business