“Pretty good place to stay”

Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley
Ranked #156 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Pretty good place to stay”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

This seems to be an older property but the lobby has been updated to the 'new' style of Courtyards, complete with a touch-screen "navigation" in the lobby. The lobby bar/cafe is spacious and even has personal TVs in the booths! Weekdays are happy hour in the bar from 5 to 7. I got a 10% off coupon for the cafe, but was told it didn't apply to alcoholic drinks (even though there was no limitation of that on the coupon.) Nonetheless, the service was good although I didn't eat there. The front desk staff was very nice, especially Thomas. The fitness room was one of the better ones I've seen in Courtyards: 2 Lifefitness treadmills and 2 bikes, all with TV and free earbduds (and great air-conditioner). My room had a coffee maker and mini-fridge, but no complimentary water. There were plenty of TV channels, but 6 of them were ESPNS! There is an outdoor pool with access from the first floor rooms and balconys overlooking the pool. The hotel is across the street from Karl Strauss brewery/restaurant (but it's closed on Saturdays). There's also a small strip mall with a Starbucks, Quiznos and McDonalds in walking distance. Overall, it was a nice place, but it was a little pricy for a courtyard property.

Room Tip: The 3rd floor will be the quietest, but the elevator is a little slow.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
GMCourtyardSD, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Hello EfficientTraveler!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us at the Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Mesa a week ago. I am thrilled to hear that overall your stay was a relaxing and productive one. I'm also thrilled to hear you enjoyed the new Courtyard Bistro and all of the options it has to offer. We will be sure to give our associate Toms special recognition as well for you pointing out how nice and helpful he was during your stay.

With summer in San Diego being our peak season, the rates tend to be a little higher than they would be in other seasons and we would love to have you come stay with us again after our rooms renovation in the winter.

If there is anything I can ever do to assist you with future reservations at our hotel, please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally at any time.

Sincerely
Charlie Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
San Diego
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I've been traveling to San Diego each week on business for a few months and have stayed at this Courtyard every time. I got a good vibe from the time I called the front desk before making my first trip to SD. It's just what a business traveler wants - the people are great, the rooms are clean and I get good rest at night on one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've slept on. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly from Charlie the GM to the front desk to the Bistro staff. The outdoor seating area is great for relaxing. The convenient location guarantees quick trips to/from my client's office. On the occasion that I need a ride to the office the front desk staff is totally accommodating. This is my hotel of choice in the SD area whether traveling on business or with family (which we've done also).

Nick D.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Nick D
, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Hi Mr. D!

Thank you for taking the time to write a response on here about your stays with us! I'm glad I finally was able to meet you and your family in person. I hope the little extra space helped as well. Look forward to your return visit in a few weeks and as always, if I can assist you in any way, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly.

Charlie Smith, General Manager
Rancho Cucamonga
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We stayed here because we went to a wedding directly across the street. The rate was great and the accommodations were nice too. They have a beautiful courtyard with a pool, fire ring, and lounge area. They serve starbucks coffee and have good little cafe with al the necessities and extra too. It was a little noisy because there was a soccer team of small children staying there too, so I would recommend staying on the top floor instead of the bottom so its more quiet. Overall, nice place to stay and convenient to all San Diego attractions :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
GMCourtyardSD, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
Hello Cheryl B!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us recently. I am thrilled to hear that your stay with us to celebrate a wedding and I hope it was a great one. I’ll be sharing your comments about the hotel’s wonderful amenities and accommodations with the entire team in our next meeting. If I can ever be of assistance in future reservations at our hotel, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly.

Santiago, Chile
Reviewed May 19, 2012

Enticed by the $84 weekend rate, I selected the Courtyard Sorrento/La Jolla for a Friday night stay. If you are familiar with the Courtyard brand, this follows the blueprint. This is an older property, and the rooms still have the midnight blue carpet and the soft yellow wallpaper. There are signs that the hotel has seen better days - the lamps were misaligned, and there were scratches on the wall. But aside from the usual wear and tear, the room was clean and functional.

The hotel caters to business travelers, but there is pool and outdoor seating. The lobby has been updated, and the Bistro serves breakfast and basic meals. The Karl Strauss Brewery is a two-minute walk, so if you don’t have a car, this is a good dining option. Starbucks and Jamba Juice are two minutes in the opposite direction.

It is evident the hotel aims to please. I received a handwritten note on the morning of check out. When I stopped by the front desk, the associate was genuinely interested in my hotel experience. This was refreshing in an era where service is the exception rather than the rule.

In summary, many hotels do a lot less with a lot more. This is not a brand new property with dazzling amenities. But the commendable service, clean rooms, and the superb $84 rate add up to a satisfactory weekend stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank scl44
GMCourtyardSD, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley, responded to this review, May 20, 2012
Hello scl44!

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Mesa. We value the feedback tremendously!

I look forward to sharing your comments about the staff service and the hand written note you received on the morning of your check out, with the entire team here at the hotel.

I am also excited to announce that we will be going through a renovation this fall/winter for our rooms to update the decor and features and hopefully change your mind about our hotel having seen better days.

We look forward to your next visit to San Diego and to our hotel and if there is anything myself or our staff can do to assist you in any of those needs, please do not hesitate to reach out to us at any time.

GM Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Mesa
Fountain Valley, California
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We were in San Diego on business and this hotel was located in the perfect location for the meetings. The staff is incredibly nice, helpful and accommodating. The room was very clean and the bed comfortable. We loved having a little balcony to sit out and enjoy the sunshine and have the door open for some fresh air.

The WiFi is free and fast. Sat down in the lobby/restaurant area to work for a bit. I loved the booth's with a small TV and power outlets for the laptop.

The breakfast sandwich's were great, just note, breakfast is not free like at Hampton Inn, but the food was better and I prefer it to the free buffets.

We will definitely stay at this hotel again when in the area for business.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank beetrvln
GMCourtyardSD, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Thank you Beetrvln for your review on TripAdvisor! Your comments about our staff being incredibly nice, helpful and accommodating were shared with the entire team at our daily meeting. We also shared the wonderful comments you made about our amenities that we offer, such as the free and fast WiFi and the lobby/Bistro area.

We look forward to your return to the Sorrento Mesa area when on business and please feel free to call the hotel directly for any future reservation needs.

Charlie
Las Vegas
Reviewed March 5, 2012

We have never stayed at this hotel before and were a little skeptical, since we normally stay at a larger hotel. We will definitely be back. Our check-in was handled by a very nice young man, who gave us 10% off certificates for the Bistro, explained exactly where to park nearest our room, and was so enthusiastic and helpful that we knew we were starting off right.

The hotel has a Go-Board, which is the latest in technology. You can find weather, news, restaurants, and other information on this board. The afternoon check-in woman helped us find a restaurant, printed out the directions, and called to make us a reservation.

We wanted a drink at the Bistro at about 4:45. The Bistro doesn't open until 5:00, but the individual behind the bar was gracious enough to serve us. We even said we would wait until he opened, but he said he would be happy to serve us before opening.

When we needed ice, my husband went to look for it, ran into the manager of the property, and she got the ice for him! Unheard of in a larger hotel.

All in all, this was a very pleasant stay - very nice pool and spa, good exercise room, fast free WiFi, lovely people. I would highly recommend this hotel and we will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: Our room faced the parking lot, but it was still very quiet. The room was very clean and modern.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Hi Oceangirl2008,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Courtyard Sorrento Mesa on TripAdvisor. Your wonderful comments about our staff, from the employee who checked you in, to the Bistro attendant who served you a drink, is great to hear and I have shared them with the entire team!

It was also great to here the positive comments about the fast and free Wifi and nice pool and spa.

I was glad to hear that your room facing the parking lot was still very quiet but on your next stay with us, call us ahead of time and we would be more than happy to see about blocking a room over looking the beautiful pool and interior courtyard area.

We look forward to your return to the San Diego are and to our hotel!

Charlie
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 1, 2012

The hotel is in the middle of Qualcomm campus, so if you are visiting Qualcomm, it is a great location. It is about 25 mins drive to San Diego downtown, close to I5 and to 805. Many restaurants nearby. Hotel has a decent restaurant for breakfast. Outdoor pool and indoor hot tub are very nice too. Free WIFI, newspaper and coffee. Overall, a very decent hotel.

Room Tip: There are 3 floors - I stayed on first floor, no problems with noise.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business