“Do Not Stay Here!”

Quality Suites Mission Valley SeaWorld Area
Ranked #170 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed September 28, 2008

As you can see by the other posts this hotel totally miss represents its rooms as two room suites. The rooms are one narrow hotel room spllt in half with a glass door.
We brought my 78 year old dad along thinking he could sleep on the pull out bed in the main room. Problem is there is no main room. Simply awful accommedations. We ended up getting my Dad his own "suite" at $140.00 per night.
Don't be fooled. You can do allot better for the $.
Also, the place was completely run down and very unclean
See photos.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mejamman
There are newer reviews for Quality Suites Mission Valley SeaWorld Area

Reviewed September 27, 2008

Family of 4, with one teen and one small child, this hotel was very affordable, clean and close to everything. We stayed in the 2 dbl bd suite. Our teen stayed up much later than us, watching his own TV in the living room, and using his laptop, while we slept. Extra pillows and blankets in the room a plus. The marble countertop bathroom much nicer than some 4 star hotels. Very large and modern. The free parking and free breakfast was great. Make your own waffles, fresh fruit, muffins, bagels, toasters, juices, teas, cereal, eggs. There was a nice patio area outside to eat, as well as ample seating inside. The pool was clean, the grounds quiet. We very much enjoyed not wasting $100 more a night at a Sheraton or Hilton, where you have to pay $20 or more for each night parking too, and $30 per person breakfast. It was a great stay -cation for us
With the money we saved vs. Sheraton, we had dinner at Benihanas which was in walking distance. Great location, and best option for a family with kids.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank WeloveSanDiego
eCommerceCoordinator, eCommerce Coordinator at Quality Suites Mission Valley SeaWorld Area, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2008

Dear "Welovesandiego",

Thank you for detailing your experience with us. We are so pleased that you found your stay so enjoyable and appreciate your feedback. It’s great to hear that you found your suite accommodating to both you and your spouse as you slept in the bedroom, while your teenager stayed up in the living room. The two room suite truly is a great option for a family with kids.

Again, thank you for posting your review and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed September 23, 2008

We were a bit concerned after booking this hotel, after reading some of the negative reviews. However, our experience was very positive.

A little hard to find at first, but that's not their fault, the road network in this part of San Diego is a bit complicated, with many parallel side roads, and many long traffic lights.

Our room was a "suite," with a bed in the main portion and a small loveseat and desk in the smaller portion. Somewhat tight quarters, but it worked fine for us. The free wireless internet was much appreciated, as were the abundance of towels they provided.

The overall condition of the room was very good, there was some mold on the wallpaper and ceiling in the bathroom, but the room was clean and not too worn.

Parking was plentiful, the staff very welcoming and helpful, and the continental breakfast was suprisingly varied and pretty good. Make your own waffles, a variety of cereals, fruits, bread and muffins....something for everyone.

Downside: MANY families with children, and if this bothers or annoys you, you may want to avoid this hotel. This is definitely their target market, so be warned. We visited in the off season, so it likely wasn't as manic as in the summer, but the breakfast room was still a trial over the weekend, as unfortunately, many parents have not taught their children "buffet etiquette." Then again, it was obvious many of them didn't know it either.

Overall, a very good experience with this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 23, 2008

Let me tell you that we did not like this hotel at all! I originally researched hotels in the San Diego area long before our trip. This hotel had positive reviews, and the kids’ separate room was a humongous bonus, it seemed. My 4-year-old could sleep on the bottom bunk, and his 2-year-old sister in a pack-n-play in the same room, while we (my husband and I) slept in the master bedroom. I don’t think I did my research well enough! While the price was doable (about $179/night), the room itself was awful.
When I first walked in I immediately noticed how tiny the room was. I opened the main door, which immediately puts you into the “master” bedroom. The bed took up practically the entire space. There was also an armoire with a tv on top, a mini-fridge, and I think a tiny microwave. There was practically no counter space to set things down, no place to set our suitcases without unpacking everything into drawers. Looking from the door, I could see through the “master” bedroom, into the kids’ room, into the bathroom. You’d have to go through the kids’ room to get to the single bathroom. Not so handy while kids are trying to go to sleep, or if you needed to get up before them. The door wall separating the kids’ room and our room was a joke. The curtains didn’t block out any light, so we had to sit with all the lights off and tv off while the kids fell asleep. The room itself was grungy and dirty, an overall icky feeling. I admit I can be picky about hotels, so I didn’t say anything to my husband. But when he said to me, “let’s see what else we can find tomorrow” I knew there was a problem. He is not picky.
We ended up switching to the (more expensive by $20 a night) Residence Inn, which was AMAZING. Totally worth it for the week we were in San Diego. Full kitchen, 2 floors, separate room upstairs for adults (and full bath), along with separate room downstairs with blackout curtains on door wall, and another full bath on first floor. Living room with tv and couch, granite countertops in kitchen. The only problem was the steep staircase – my 2-year-old needed to be watched while ascending and descending. Don’t stay at the Comfort Suites with little kids!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank clb0817
eCommerceCoordinator, eCommerce Coordinator at Quality Suites Mission Valley SeaWorld Area, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2008

Dear clb0817,
We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced and truly appreciate your time in detailing your review.

We want to be sure that you are aware of the various suites our property has to offer. Our most popular two room suites have a bedroom with a king-size bed and a separate kids room with bunk beds. For guests with older kids we also offer two room family suites with a either a king-size bed or two full-size beds that can accommodate up to six people.

We would also like to add that our property received an exceptional cleanliness score on our last Quality Assurance Inspection, which was in the high 90's.

Thank you again for completing our online review.

Best,

Reviewed August 28, 2008

I agree with the other reviews! The kid's suite was a regular room cut in half with a sheer curtain over the french door divider, which offered no privacy whatsoever. The room was old and in need of some major upgrades - the tiles were chipped, floor was filthy, the bed was horribly lumpy and uncomfortable and the pillows were so small and flat, I had to lay all 4 on top of each other! The breakfast was mediocre, at best, because there just was not enough food or space to accomidate the crowded conditions. Every member of the hotel staff we encountered was rude, especially the maid who refused to move her huge bag of garbage so we could get out of the elevator. Unfortunately, we prepaid the room (which was an outrageous $200 per night, which seemed OK at first, since it was a kid's suite) when we booked our Sea World vacation, otherwise we would have walked right back out and stayed somewhere by the ocean for the same price! We did end up leaving 2 days early, and although we did complain to the manager on duty, they were not willing to offer any sort of "satisfaction guarantee". We'll never stay at a Comfort Suites again - you'd be wise to stay away from this one as well!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank ryelo
Reviewed May 17, 2008

We stayed at Comfort Suites Mission Valley May 7-12, 2008. I booked through the property and they were happy to match a deal I found on Expedia.
The room was smaller than it appeared in the picture but was adequate. The beds were very comfortable. Some of the furniture was a bit worn but not bad. The room was clean and bathroom had alot of towels.
Even though we were across from the elevator, it was very quiet. I don't know how many guests were at the hotel but we did not have problems with finding a place to park no matter what time we got back from the hotel.
They offered a free continental breakfast including waffles. We usually had to wait to make waffles but never more than just for one person who was making theirs. The staff kept the food area clean and tables cleaned off as soon as someone left.
The staff always greeted us. They gave us a later checkout due to our flight being later.
We enjoyed out stay. It is a nice basic hotel offering comfortable rooms at a reasonable price.

Stayed: May 2008
2  Thank sister3Wisconsin
Reviewed April 30, 2008

My boyfriend and I chose this hotel from expedia because it was supposed to be a 2 bedroom suite. We brought his 11 year old along and I didn't want to have to share a 1 bedroom for an entire week with an 11 year old. The pictures and descriptions made this seem to be pretty spacious yet when we checked in it was a regular room split in half. The room was divided by french doors with a mesh curtain that you could see through. The "kid" side had the air conditioning control, and the king bed side only had a fan in the wall.

There were kids galore in this hotel. I would hate to see this place when kids are off school. It was a zoo everywhere. From the moment we checked in to the moment we checked out we heard babies crying and kids screaming thoughout.

If looking for a peaceful vacation or business travel this is not your place. I suggest it only to families who would understand other families and their kids.

And the continental breakfast was decent only problem is finding a table to eat at and a huge line to use one of the waffle makers.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family