“Awesome”

Quality Suites San Diego SeaWorld Area
Ranked #171 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Hi,

I spent a total of 5 nights distributed over 3 different stays at Comfort Suites in May 2013.

The hotel is in a good location in San Diego's Mission Valley district. It's on the same street as the Hilton (so it's in a good neighborhood) but unless you want to waste your cash on a stupid brand name, I am sure you won't have anything to complain of in terms of enjoying 'comfort in a suite' - hence the name.

The bed with its sheets was extremely comfortable. The room had a nice couch, 2 flat screen TVs and a nice looking bathroom. Microwave, fridge and a coffeemachine also included.

I was positively surprised to find out that they had a small exercise room with a running machine and a multipurpose exercise machine. I suggested to the management that it would perhaps be a good idea to include a rack of dumbbells - and they actually went out and got some! :)

After working out, it was great to take a dip in the pool and the hot bath right next to the pool. The overall architecture and design integrates nicely with the pool area and you really feel like you are escaping from all the stress outside.

The people working at the hotel such as Frederik at the front desk and Elisabeth, the manager, were very friendly and warm :D

5 stars!!!

Oliver

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Oliver M
Elizabeth M, General Manager at Quality Suites San Diego SeaWorld Area, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Our staff and I are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us so much! All of our employees take great pride in their work and are always honored with positive guest comments like yours that reinforce their commitment of quality service to our guests. We are happy you noticed that we like to provide our guests the best in quality and value while still offering extras. It is nice to know that you were comfortable in our suites and that you had the opportunity to enjoy the pool, spa, grounds, and exercise room. We very much appreciated your suggestion about adding hand weights for exercising and thought it was a wonderful idea! I trust you also had the opportunity to enjoy our extensive free breakfast buffet as well.

Thank you for your comments, and we look forward to you staying with us again soon!

Elizabeth Ming, General Manager

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights. Rooms were sort of clean except for the used condom behind the couch. Anyway, rooms are a little small for 5 people, three kids between 7 and 12. Good location to seaworld and zoo which is what we were there for.
Staff friendly and the pool was good with spa.
I would recommend to stay here if you had 2 adults and 2 kids but no more. The pull out sofa bed takes up too much room in the lounge area.
Laundry utilised as well, which was good.

Room Tip: We were at back, no noise from freeway at all.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Elizabeth M, General Manager at Quality Suites San Diego SeaWorld Area, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your comments that allow us to continually improve our guest satisfaction. Our cleaning procedures do include moving furniture however we apologize that we missed something. We are glad that you found how close we are located to SeaWorld, the San Diego Zoo, and all the other attractions, and had time to enjoy or pool and spa. Most of our guests traveling with children comment as you did that our on-premises laundry room is very handy. I hope you and you family also had the opportunity to enjoy our free breakfast buffet. We look forward to you staying with us again soon.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

I wasn't for sure on this hotel after reading a few reviews. I decided to give it a whirl and it wound up being pretty good. The $8 parking fee to park in the hotel lot is a freaking joke. It was close to where I wanted to be so I pulled the trigger. Check in was good and room on backside was quiet. Personally, if u are going to be on the backside of the hotel, ask for second or third floors. Trust me- looks dicey back there. Bed was really good and had separate sitting area with its own tv. Breakfast was good also.

Room Tip: Second or third floor in the rear of hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Elizabeth M, General Manager at Quality Suites San Diego SeaWorld Area, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Thank you for taking your valuable time to send us your comments about your recent stay with us. We always strive to provide the best service and value we can for our guests and it is only when people comment to us can we continually improver our guest experience. The back of our hotel is lighted and there is a steep hill that non-guests cannot access, plus we have our own security for the added peace of mind for our guests, so safety should never be a concern. We are glad you found out how convenient we are to downtown and all the San Diego attractions and that you were able to enjoy the ever-changing variety of our free breakfast bar. Another guest favorite secret you found was our suites with separate rooms, dual televisions, microwave and refrigerator. While I do understand our advertised parking fee may at first seem unusual, the fact is most the surrounding hotels have parking fees as well but we always try to compensate for it by offering great rates, quality, cleanliness, and superior service. My staff and I look forward to you staying with us again soon!

Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I arrived just a tad bit early and checked in with a gentlemen named Fredrick who was extremely helpful and accomodating. His services was 5 star, we arrived in our family room and loved it. Our son had his own room with tv as did we. So it made all of us happy. Breakfast was great. And we truly enjoyed our stay. The ONLY negative thing I would say is upon checking out. We realized we had been charged $8.00 for parking. I feel it should be free if we already have paid for a room. But everything else was wonderful. Will definetly come back and recommend!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Goldie213
Elizabeth M, General Manager at Quality Suites San Diego SeaWorld Area, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Thank you so very much for you comments. We are pleased that you and your family enjoyed our hospitality during your recent stay with us! Frederick and all of our staff enjoy making all our guests feel like they are “home while away from home.” So many of our guests with children enjoy our connecting suites that give the kids their very “own room” while allowing the parents some privacy by closing the French doors. We are glad you also found that our free breakfast buffet was to your liking. We put a great deal of effort into offering quality breakfast items with a variety of choices every morning. Most of the hotels in this area charge for parking, however we attempt to more than make up for that by offering very competitive room rates, convenient location, and our extensive breakfast bar. We look forward to you staying with us again soon!

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Was traveling for pleasure: arrived late at night around 10 PM for a 2 night stay, they had given our room away, finally found a room--not what we had reserved-only had it available for 1 night. We had to get another room last minute--huge inconvenience!!! Only gave me a $10.00 discount for making us have to find another hotel on a Friday night. Room was very very very tiny also. Supposed to be a "suite"

Room Tip: Just don't stay here.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Elizabeth M, Manager at Quality Suites San Diego SeaWorld Area, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Thank you for your comments. We apologize we did not have the room type you reserved when you arrived for your stay with us. Unfortunately, we had a plumbing leak and a section of rooms had to unexpectedly be taken out of inventory. We were however able to accommodate you in a different room type the first night.

The leak was fixed the next morning and we had your room type available for the second night and even offered that to you at a discount. All hotels do have occasional un-forseen problems that do sometimes affect room availability, but we always try to accommodate guests the best we can, I am very sorry for any inconvenience that we may have caused. I hope that you will allow us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Kind regards,
Elizabeth Ming

Reviewed April 1, 2013

When I stay at a Comfort Suites I have learned to rely on high levels of service, quality, and professionalism. Sadly the stay at this location contained none of these attributes. Upon entering the front desk gentleman was not friendly at all, no welcome, only what can I do for you? Without any level of friendliness or charm he found my reservation and gave me the required list of breakfast, checkout, etc... I asked where my room was he gave me a map. TERRIBLE CUST. SERVICE
My wife and I made it to the room, worn down and the entertainment center had a hole where the old tv was larger than my fist. The window leaked in the rain on the floor. I was embarrassed to take my wife to a crap hole like this. I couldn't cancel my reservation because it was by points and no way would we be able to get a room fast enough. POINTS WASTED! I'm very upset about this experience.

Oh and you pay $8 for parking!!! The zoo is free, but the hotel charges. We had 9 cars in the parking lot on our side, it wasn't like they didn't have room.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joseph S
Elizabeth M, General Manager at Quality Suites San Diego SeaWorld Area, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments. We always strive for excellent service and quality but unfortunately we apparently did not meet your expectations. We are in the process of upgrading our televisions to HD wall units and eliminating the entertainment centers (along with numerous other improvements) and I apologize if you received a room not fully completed and with a window that needed to be serviced. We were unaware of the window problem but have quarterly major maintenance programs that always catch these types of issues. We wish you had reported this to us during your stay so that we could have addressed it then. All the hotels in our immediate area charge for parking however we more than make up for that with our attractive rates, free breakfast buffet and superb location.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Do not stay here!!!!!!!!!! Back in February we booked this hotel with the seaworld and san diego zoo package deal. Upon check in, the receptionist said he doesnt have tickets and to come back down in the morning. We did. The day receptionist said she doesnt have them and they were probably emailed. Nope...there were no emails and why would they email or send us tickets when they werent paid for yet? They were only reserved. The manager decided she wasnt going to come into work that day....nonetheless, she came into work that day since we were extremely unhappy. She tells us that there are no san diego zoo tickets or seaworld tickets since they quit doing packages. HELLO!!!!! We booked our rooms/packages online with your hotel thru Choice Privliges Program (since my husband is a member)! After taking our personal laptop down for proof with the confirmation that we had purchased the seaworld and san diego zoo package she said to bring receipt of tickets in and she will reimburse us. At check in we told them we wanted to pay cash upon checking out....nope...they charged the credit card.

Laundry-its a joke!!!! They have two washers and two dryers. One washer was out of service the entire stay while you have lines to use the laundry.

Rooms-our bathroom window was open when we got into hotel. The carpet is super grimey/nasty. They need to be cleaned big time! Two outlets didnt work. The tv in the bedroom didnt work. Hair in the towels. Dusty.

Room keys-we reserved two rooms, one for my family and the other for my brothers family. We returned to the hotel one night after spending the day at the zoo only to find out we couldnt get into our rooms with the room keys. We went down and complained only to be told they were demagnetized. Yea whatever....two rooms right next to each other.

Moral of it-DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!! PAIN IN THE BUTT FROM MOMENT YOU CHECK IN TO CHECK OUT!!!!!!!! The Wyndham behind this hotel looks alot nicer and half the price of this one per night after looking it up.

• Stayed: March 2013

I appreciate your comments and did work with you to resolve your SeaWorld ticket problem. As you pointed out, you made your reservations on the Choice website and they had not updated the fact yet that our franchise property no longer has this promotion, however we did honor it for you. Our normal process is to place room charges on credit card but we can take cash please know that all hotels do place a temporary hold on a credit card during the stay until payment is received, and then the hold is removed, so your card was not charged for your stay. We are sorry one of our washers was not operating during your stay however realize we must request service through our vendor as these are not something we repair on site. As part of our continual room upgrade project, we are upgrading our televisions to HD wall units that require new electrical plugs and other construction so I apologize if your room was in the middle of that process, which can unfortunately generate some occasional extra messes that sometimes get ahead of our cleaning staff. We wish you had mentioned this during your stay and provided us an opportunity to make it right. I know it is frustrating when your room keys sometimes do not work but realize that if a room key comes in close proximity to a cell phone, it often can and does de-magnetize them, but as you found out this problem is quickly fixed.