“Great value and courteous staff”

Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport - Old Town
Ranked #40 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Cleveland, Ohio
“Great value and courteous staff”
Reviewed November 17, 2010

If you're looking for decent, no-nonsense accomodations in San Diego, this is your place.
I was attending a conference at the San Diego Convention Center and all the closer hotels were booked so I had to pick this hotel. Not to worry! The Comfort Inn shuttle bus took me to the Convention Center and brought me back. The shuttle typically leaves on the hour and it is best to sign up for it one day in advance. The shuttle is also free to and from the airport.
The rooms are spacious and clean. The complimentary continental breakfast is fine. Wireless internet is free. I should emphasize that all the staff, from the shuttle drivers to the desk employees were very courteous and accomodating.
The hotel is perched on a street overlooking the San Diego Freeway and is a 5 min shuttle ride from the airport. The first night I had a room on the highway side. There was some traffic hum but it did not bother me. Nonetheless, I requested a room facing the city street and the staff was happy to accomodate my request when such a room became available.
The hotel is on the southern edge of Old Town, which means it is a 10 min walk from the center of Old Town. For an inexpensive Mexican meal, try Dos Brasas on the corner from the hotel. It does not look like much but the food is great. There are plenty of restaurants in the center of Old Town.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank George J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Polish first
Vancouver, B.C.
Reviewed November 7, 2010

This hotel is not located in Old Town but a 10-15 minute walk away. Free shuttle from the airport and to the zoo and Seaworld. The room was very spacious. The hotel has free breakfast which was ok with your typical selection of items and can get crowded. There is also a in room safe which is handy. Microwave and mini fridge also but both were old, they did work so not a big deal.

If you want to eat somewhere close by I would recommend you avoid Old Town and instead walk over to Washington St. There is a variety of restaurants there and that seems to be where locals actually eat.

There is a on site deli/convience store which is nice however I don't appreciate having different expiry date stickers being put on the sandwiches. The staff was helpful but not friendly, especially the Asian girl. It seemed like you were bothering her if you asked a question. Also one of the maids threw out my mouthwash for some reason.

On the day I went to Sea World the hotel forgot to come back for me. Had to take taxi as my cellphone had died so I couldn't call the hotel. The hotel actually has free shuttle to the Amtrak station also but when I tried to use it they said that my request for 10AM was in conflict with them taking people to the zoo which is at 9:30AM?!?!?

Even with the problems I dealt with I would probably stay there again but barely.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Techboy
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed September 27, 2010

We were there to see our son graduate from Marine Corp Training. This is a very convenient location and we found the Old Town section very quaint and a fun place to stay. It was a short walk to some great restau rants and a short drive to the Marine Depot.
Not far from the airport either. Free parking and friendly staff. Will stay there again if we go back to San Diego.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rlabellon
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 21, 2010

While this was not the worst hotel I've ever stayed at, it certainly was not the best.

The hotel does have some good things going:
-Free parking!
-Free wi-fi
-Free continental breakfast
-Pool and hot tub
-Location is decent - close to highway and within walking distance to Old Town
-Nice TVs with cable

However, I did find some things to be lacking:
-We checked into the hotel around noon (they let us check in early, which was nice) and went out to do some sightseeing. Upon returning to our room, I noticed that our desk was covered with ants. I thought perhaps something was spilled, but when I went over to our nightstand, that too was crawling with ants. We called the front desk immediately and they did tell us to pack our things and come right down to the front desk. However, they put us in a room right next door to where we had been (where we actually found 3 more ants) and weren't exactly apologetic about the situation. The gentleman at the front desk only apologized after we actually showed him pictures we took. We felt that could have been handled a bit better.
-Both the first room and our new room smelled old and musty. We tried to open our windows and turn on the air conditioning, but every time we returned to our room it still smelled pretty gross.
-The shower heads were extremely low making for an uncomfortable shower. I am 5'7 and the shower head hit me at mid-forehead. I did not have it as bad as my 6'3 husband however!
-I tried out the fitness center one day, hoping to run a bit on the treadmill. However, there was a big dip right in the middle of the running belt, which not only made it impossible to run, but also quite dangerous for anyone who tried.
-We did have the continental breakfast every morning. Two complaints about this:
1. The toaster was extremely SLOW and didn't function very well. It literally took 8 minutes to toast a piece of toast.
2. To add to this, one morning a woman in a Comfort Inn uniform was using the toaster to make her own breakfast, so all of the guests had to wait until she was done to use it. I think it's just common sense that your guests should be first priority.

Despite some of the good things about this hotel, I really wouldn't recommend it to my family or friends.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
California
Reviewed September 20, 2010

We stayed for four days in April. We were on a strict budget, but didn't want to sacrifice safety or location. This hotel is a great compromise for those who want a lower priced room and a decent location. It's not in the heart of the city, but pretty darn close and a great price. At first glance we were a little hesitant about the hotel. It is in an old neighborhood, there was a good amount of construction, and it's literally right next to the freeway. However, even when walking many blocks to Old Town at night, we felt safe. The underground parking was secure and FREE which is a plus in San Diego. Also, the elevator and all hotel entrances required a room key to access which made us feel secure.The windows overlooking the freeway were thick and there was little noise. I can't say much for the view, but we didn't come to San Diego to look out of our hotel window, so we didn't care. The fridge and microwave were great since we brought snacks and were able to store leftovers. The hot tub was wonderful and deserted (at least when we were there). The room and premises were very clean and the breakfast was adequate but nothing special. The 24-hr "store" was a great help when my husband got sick in the middle of the night, though the prices are about as high as any convenience store. The staff was very friendly, and the business center, although small, came in handy when we wanted to research local activities. The walk to Old Town may be daunting for some (about 15-20 min) but was ok for us since we're pretty active people. The drive to downtown and the oceanfront was VERY quick and easy. Balboa park was also only a 10min drive. We had a corner room and so the noise level in the hotel did not bother us. All in all it was a great stay and we will definitely come back next time.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelJunkie2579
CIAIRPORTATTOWN, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport - Old Town, responded to this review, September 27, 2010
Thank you so much on taking the time to write such fantastic reviews about our hotel, This really means alot to us we strive hard here at the comfort inn to make our guest feel at home. We are so glad everything was close enough for you to get to easy. Thank you again and we hope to see you back in the near future.

Gettysburg, PA
Reviewed September 11, 2010

Would definitely recommend this hotel. Everything was clean and well taken care of. Breakast was plentiful. No probs with noise or parking and was in an excellent location to head on down to Old Town, which was awesome, as well. My single complaint was that the shower heads weren't high enough on the walls. They were fine for me, but my 6 ft boyfriend had a hard time ducking under them to get wet.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
We here at the comfort inn oldtwon would like to personally thank you. And we are so glad to hear your stay here was awesome and everything worked out for you. We strive hard here at the comfort inn to make our guest feel At home. We hope to see you back in the near future

portland,oregon
Reviewed August 30, 2010

Hotel staff was great & friendly,free breakfast,pool,& the hotel shuttle took us everywhere we wanted to go for free,more than a radius of three miles.Hotel also picks you up at the airport & takes you back for your flight,no charge..most hotels don't do this.I will stay here again.The price was $79.00 per nite.

Stayed August 2010
The comfort inn staff would like to personally thank you on taking the time to write such great reviews about our hotel. We are glad to hear everything worked out for you. and it was a awesome stay for you. We would love to see you back in the near future.