Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport - Old Town
Fairmont.com
$255
$223
  • Pool
Omni San Diego Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$282
$260
  • Restaurant
Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
$157
$126
  • Restaurant
Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$207
$178
  • Beachfront
$214
$151
  • Breakfast included
Paradise Point Resort & Spa(San Diego)
$323
  • Pool
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$219
1,217 results
All reviewsshuttle servicefree shuttlefreeway sidefront deskmcrd graduationmarine graduationsan diego airportbreakfast roomfree breakfastunderground parkingrental carhot tubdesk staffspecial thankssea worldclean hotelthe entire staff
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Holiday Inn Express hotels are generally decent for staying at...this particular one was amazing! We came down for a trip to the San Diego Zoo with a large group of disabled adults. The staff was so awesome...I had called before we got there to give them an ETA of our arrival and when I walked into the lobby, Kyleene had all of our room keys ready and the paperwork all printed out, that was a huge timesaver and I'm sure our group appreciated that after our long drive on the bus all day....another wonderful employee there was Josh, who was very helpful and patient when dealing with our group....always had a smile on his face....then there was an issue with the shower in one of our rooms, and another helpful employee named Jose moved us to a brand new room in a matter of minutes....The hotel has a patio that overlooks the airport and you can see the big cruise ships coming in as well....the jacuzzi was also set out on this patio so you had a wonderful view while soaking in the hot tub! We used the swimming pool as well, we were very happy! The breakfast room was large and not over crowded, very good selection and the staff were constantly making sure all of the breakfast items were replenished asap. There were refridgerators and microwaves in every room, this is always a plus! There was even a little "mini mart" in the hotel lobby.....our rooms were clean and comfy....I was sad that we only got to stay for 2 nights...I normally don't like staying at the same hotel twice, but this is one hotel I would defiinitely stay at for a second time....thanks for your great service and accomodations! The ONLY negative thing that I could say about this hotel is that there are no restaurants within walking distance...other than that, a superb place to stay!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank sunbeachmom
kylene s, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

We think your review is pretty wonderful as well! We are so happy that you had a great time staying with us. We are glad that our shuttle services were convenient and that we were able to accommodate all your needs. Thank you for your kind words about our staff, we love hearing that they are doing a great job! We appreciate your extensive feedback because here at the Holiday Inn Express this helps us be responsive and make sure we are delivering the best experience possible for our guests. We are looking forward to your stay with us in the near future! Thank you!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Quiet room overlooking fountain and courtyard, ask for away from highway if possible. Unusual arrangement with inside/outside corridors but weather is usually fine enough, it is secured against Old Town crime. Nice continental breakfast, indoors or out. Free airport shuttle. Walk to fascinating historic Old Town, tour bus picks you up if city touring is your thing. Check again as it went bust and changed ownership--have not been back. March 2012 is earliest field allowed here, went before then.

Room Tip: Get away from Highway!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo

Thank you very much for staying with us, and sharing your feedback! We are so pleased to hear that you and your guests enjoyed your stay with us! We are happy to hear that our location was convenient for your say. Thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I will start by saying- for us the location was perfect- within walking distance to Old Town (3/4mile) and about the same in the other direction for a little group of restaurants on India St. This hotel offers a free shuttle to and fro the airport, Old Town, SeaWorld and the Zoo, and a few other places within reason.
We chose this location due to it's proximity to Old Town and the fact that it has a free shuttle to SeaWorld and the Zoo. We only rented a car for 2 of the 8 days we were visiting. We prefer not to drive in California- (they be crazy) lol
Our room was very clean, they are small but for 2 of us it was fine. The bathroom was very clean. The room was clean and we were away from the freeway so that noise did not bother us. We weren't even bothered by the street noise.
The breakfasts were standard HIE fare. Decent enough and included- can't beat that.
We were unable to take advantage of the pool or the hot tub- it was a bit too chilly, but they looked clean, maintained and inviting.

I still don't understand why the coffee pot is in the bathroom- that's just disgusting and I will not use it if they are located there. I never use the in room coffee pot though... ew. I don't care how clean it the hotel is.

My only beef is regarding the shuttle. Taking cues from other reviews- we attempted to let the evening crew know we would need the shuttle in the morning. They told us to just ask for it the next morning. WELL... apparently the evening crew follow through a bit more- and while pleasant, I find it hard to believe that they don't know to log us to reserve the shuttle- or inform us of their basic schedule (leaves for the airport on the hour and any sidetrips- etc) because we got chastised by the front desk lady for not reserving. WHICH IS WHAT WE TRIED to do... THE NIGHT BEFORE! We were not in any hurry. We should have been informed- they depart at X time(s), please schedule accordingly. We didn't have immediate expectations to be shuttled on a whim. It was then that the big binder was brought out and we were penciled in for a certain time. Which is how it should have been the night before. Which was fine- but I didn't think it appropriate to chew us out for something that an employee failed to follow through on.

Long story short? The staff (both morning and night) at this otherwise- great spot needs to BE CONSISTENT with the manor of which they communicate details of their shuttle. Also try taming down the briskness of your tone. I realize you've probably had irate- I WANT IT NOW kind of guests, but if you don't allow that-you won't get that and if everyone was consistent- you wouldn't have that issue. It would be good to know upon check-in that for the most part- it leaves for the airport on the hour, Old Town shuttles are easiest- since it's literally down the road. (we never used it for this- as we preferred to walk) SeaWorld and The Zoo have their designated drop off/ pick up times, but must be requested (reasonably so). I found the lack of communication on this subject to be quite irritating. However, all of the shuttle drivers were friendly and courteous. The desk staff- it was a mixed bag of either super pleasant, sour smiles or omg- please don't bug me now attitudes.
Other then that, I would have given them a 5.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you again for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Airport Old Town. We appreciate your review and we are glad our location was able to accommodate your stay. Thank you for sharing that our shuttle service had some positives and negatives. We will do out best to alter these issues. Thank you for your extensive comment, we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed here for one night prior to a cruise. We selected this hotel because it is close to the cruise port and there is a free shuttle pickup from the airport and also to the cruise port. When we arrived we were greeted very nicely and arranged for our morning transfer to the port. We also found out that the hotel offers a free shuttle to, and from Old Town. We took advantage of this and were driven by a very helpful and friendly young man. I'm sorry that I don't remember his name but he recommended a very good Mexican restaurant, Miguel's, and we had a delicious lunch. We were driven to our destinations by three different drivers, and all were so nice. The hotel room was small, but clean and comfortable. The free breakfast was very good and the breakfast room was clean and bright. We were very happy with our choice of this hotel, and the price was very reasonable.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for staying with us, and sharing your feedback! We are so happy that you had a great time staying with us. We are glad that our shuttle services were convenient and that we were able to accommodate all your needs. Thank you again for your kind words and we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express. We look forward to welcoming you back again!

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I stayed here for one night on business in the second week of February 2013. The hotel itself is squeezed in between I-5 and San Diego Avenue on the hill. However, they made the most of the space with a large detached hot tub, a reasonably sized and well equipped exercise room and breakfast room. The rooms were small but clean. Standard Holiday Inn but no complaints. Breakfast was included with the room as was free wireless internet which worked smoothly. If your expectations are set for a Holiday Inn and not the Ritz, this particular Holiday Inn Express should be a pleasant surprise for its value. I had a room with a double bed and it was priced at $110 before taxes. This seemed like a very good value to me. Granted the hotel is not downtown by the convention center but it is a very short distance from downtown San Diego, across from the airport, and close by to I-5 and I-8. I walked to Old Town for dinner which took about 15 minutes. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. They made a couple of recommendations for restaurants in Old Town and reassured us that the walk to and from Old Town was safe (which it was). The free breakfast was fine - eggs and bacon, biscuits, cereal, bagels, juice and coffee. The cinnamon rolls were quite good.

All in all a very good value in San Diego.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the street side of the hotel (San Diego Ave) to get a quieter room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
kylene s, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us, we appreciate your business. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! We are happy to hear that our staff provided great service and that our location was convenient for your say. Thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you again.