“First time staying at this hotel.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport - Old Town

Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport - Old Town
Ranked #48 of 282 Hotels in San Diego
“First time staying at this hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I have been staying at one particular hotel for the past 30 years in San Diego old town. I decided to try something new and stayed here. All I can say was the customer service went over and beyond expectations. The room was clean, very clean. The only downside was that I could not stay longer, but I definitely will be with my family again.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank hbtm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Polish first
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We stayed here for one night on August 9, 2012. When we got to our room, we weren't happy with the location (facing the 5 expressway) so asked to be moved. We left the first room for the second within 10 minutes. The second room was fine; no problems with the hotel at all.

The night after we checked out, August 10, while in Huntington Beach, I remembered that I left my laptop in the first room we checked into. I immediately called the hotel in a panic and told them I left my computer in the first room we stayed in. The employee put me on hold, came back and said they had it, even confirming it was in a black case. He confirmed that we had checked into the first room, but actually stayed in the second. He said they would hold the laptop for a month - they could not forward it to any place other than our home - and since we were on the first day of our trip, I thouight that was fine. I did wonder why, if they knew they had a laptop and where they found it, they did not contact me. I was at the hotel for a day, plus they had my phone, email, address.

Upon returning home, I called the hotel, spoke with Susie, and explained that I had left my computer and now I was arranging to have it shipped. She asked if she could call me back to get my address and a credit card to charge the shipment. I guess I assumed she was checking the hotel's Lost and Found to confirm that they did have the machine. When she called back, I gave her my address, and she said she'd ship it. A week goes by and I still have no package. I called the hotel to get the tracking number and Susie told me that, no, she didn't send me the laptop, just the case. I was incredulous because at this point two employees had confirmed that they had the machine.

I spoke with Yasmine, the general manager, who told me she would ask the staff who were on duty on 9/10 when I called to see who took the call and that I should give her a day or two. When I had called I was so panicked I didn't remember who I spoke with (might have been Jose, however). I never heard from her again. I called back the day before the Labor Day weekend and left her a message, saying I expected a call back by Tuesday. No response.

In addition, I have emailed the Holiday Inn Express Customer Care center, but have also not received a response. I emailed a second time tonight, 9/12/2012. And, I never even received the package they sent that supposedly contained just the case, which was a cheap thing that I wouldn't have bothered to have shipped.

This incident is disappointing and infuriating. I don't recall ever receiving such shoddy service from a hotel, which is ironic because while we were there they could not have been nicer. Somewhere along the line, they had my property in their possession and then they 'lost' it. And to not even get the courtesy of a follow up call from the manager is inexcusable.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport - Old Town, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Susieq98,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. We are sincerely sorry your experience with us was unsatisfactory. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Bedford, Tx
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stayed at this hotel this past weekend. The reason I'm giving it a 3 is because we could hear everything the people above us were doing, when housekeeping vacuumed, when they took a shower and when they walked around. I have never stayed at a hotel where I could hear the people upstairs. The other problem we came across was, there was hair in the bathtub that was NOT from us. It was in the bottom of the shower and on the curtain when we got there. VERY disgusting. I know others have stayed and showered in that room but I don't need to be reminded by their hair in the tub. The location was great, my husband is a Marine and it is right across from MCRD. It is also a short car ride away from Old Town and Downtown. I'm not sure if we would stay there again given the few problems we had. The breakfast was good, typical continental breakfast. The parking spaces that are for the guests above ground are tiny. We have a pickup truck and we couldn't park there, they do have a parking garage. Overall it was an OK hotel.

Room Tip: Definitely ask to face AWAY from the freeway and ask to be on level 2 so you don't have to liste...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stayed here for Labor Day weekend, as most hotels already booked. Great property very easy access / secure parking / free breakfast / reasonable rates / clean / comforatable beds / internet access / would definately stay here again and recommend!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Levis, Quebec
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We liked our stay, classic Holiday inn express, clean and practical,no big luxury. It is close to Old Town attraction. The hotel is located in a safe residential area and conveniently close to the highway.
We would certainly go there again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Can't say enough about the outstanding service we received. Everything from check-in to check-out, was wonderful. The shuttle service was ready and waiting at all times we needed it. Every driver was friendly and fun! The free breakfast was tasty and apprecieated. Housekeeping did a great job every day. Close to the highway, but never heard any traffic with the a/c on. Take advantage of the Old Town Transit Center to get downtown. Would definately recommend to MCRD graduation families.

Room Tip: Stay on the 1st floor to avoid traffic noise.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Charleston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We arrived at the airport after 11pm, so the shuttle wasn't available. We caught a taxi that evening to the hotel, but the hotel provided shuttle service back to the airport in the morning. Even though close to the airport, it is a longer ride than we expected back & forth from the airport. The hotel is quite close to the interstate highway, but we were given a room away from the highway & it was quiet for us. The room was clean & the staff were all friendly. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the interstate highway.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business