Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport - Old Town
Ranked #50 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We stayed here because of the convenience to the San Diego Airport and their Park and Fly package. The price is quite reasonable, too. Check in was easy and fast. The room was small, but clean, and very warm. Couldn't ever get the temp regulated enough to be comfortable. While the beds looked to be very comfortable, they were not. I found that I did not sleep well, nor did the people with whom I was traveling. Perhaps it was the temperature, but the bed seemed uncomfortable and I awoke with an aching back.

They not only provide shuttle service to the airport and pickup upon return, but will drive you to Old Town which is close by. We used the shuttle to eat dinner in Old Town and they dropped us right at our restaurant. When we called them to pick us up, they came quickly. Pickup from the airport upon our return was very quick.

Upon our return from vacation, they offered us complimentary breakfast as it was early morning. They have the best cinnamon rolls anyone could want. It is hard to only eat one. They are moist and flavorful. All-in-all, a good experience when you need a Park and Fly option. I would give this 3.5 stars if this option was available.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Thank you very much for staying with us, and sharing your feedback! I am sorry that you and your party did not have a good night’s sleep. Here at the Holiday Inn Express we appreciate your comments as this helps us be responsive and make sure we are delivering the best experience possible for our guests. We are glad that the shuttle was able to accommodate you to and from dinner. Thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,142)

Reviewed June 17, 2012

Late getting to write the review. We stayed here in September, 2008 when it was run as a Comfort Inn property and I think its now under new management. But somethings are not going to change much anyway.
5 * S * T * A * R * S * We're a frugal family with style and we like the style of Comfort Inns in USA - REALLY. We wanted to see the San Diego Zoo and the asociated Wild Animal Park. I was really happy to find a hotel and zoo admission deal I could afford. If you don't think you'll ever be able to go to Africa or Asia on a safari then these zoos are going to be the next best thing. If you can, stay overnight at the Wild Animal Park's accomodations.
After an exhausting day at the Wild Animal Park we boogied down to our room at the Comfort Inn Airport, 1955 San Diego Avenue, San Diego. I was impressed by everything since I thought this was going to be another 'airport' hotel. The staff was extremely cordial. Although we were late they kept our room for us. We got a nice, clean and well appointed room. No need to call the desk and ask for anything. Their elevators go all the way to the parking area. This was appreciated since members of ouir family have slight disabillitues. I don't recall even stepping up or down on a staircase. The next morning we were happy to find a complimentary breakfast bar that was better than expected for an 'airport' hotel. All the hot food was hot and cold food was cold with an attendant to keep it clean and stocked. I wanted to show a little class so I give her a $5 tip. I also left a tip in the room when we checked out. 5 * S * T * A * R * S * I WOULD STAY HERE AGAIN.
So what was negative? At first I thought the noise from the highway nearby would keep us awake. Since we were tired from the day's activities, we all took a shower and hit the hay and slept soundly. If you're a light sleeper, bring a little cotton for the ears. No fault of Comfort Inns but San Diego public transportation had us and other sight-seers confused about the famous San Diego Trolley supposedly stopping at the station about a block away from the hotel. It never came and we waited and others before us were waiting longer. So we had to drive over to the Zoo and missed the Trolley experience we counted on. The drive to the Zoo was about 15 minutes since this was my first time in San Diego.
We loved the Zoo and even got to see the panda bears and koalas moving about which doesn't always happen! This was all-in-all a trip we'll remember for the fun we had.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper book a room opposite the side of the highway or bring a little cotton...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
kylene s, Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

Thank you very much for staying with us, and sharing your feedback! We are so pleased to hear that you and your guests enjoyed your stay with us! We are happy to hear that our staff provided great service and that you got a chance to enjoy the complimentary breakfast.

Unfortunately, we cannot control the freeway noise, but we are glad you got a good night’s rest. Thank you for sharing your experience as this helps us be responsive and make sure we are delivering the best experience possible for our guests and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed June 3, 2012

I spent 2 nights at the Old Town/Airport Holiday Inn. When I checked in I received a Priority Club welcome bag and was quickly checked in. Our room was like all Holiday Inn's I've stayed at previously, new branding, clean, modern and all the amenities (fridge, microwave, etc). This is a great location to the airport, old town, downtown and pretty much anything you might do in San Diego! I would definitely stay here again!! We did not have a chance to enjoy the pool or Jacuzzi, but they were there, as well as a great little courtyard. There is even underground/covered parking, which is nice.
We did request a taxi one evening. We got a shuttle van that picked us up and charged $16 from Holiday Inn to Marina Village ( near Sea World.) I though that was a little pricey...when I called for a taxi (Nations Taxi) after the party we attended at Marina Village, a Lincoln town car charging $15 picked us up... just FYI... I figured we get a 'taxi' and it would be cheaper...Holiday Inn was great, definitely a nice stay!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for staying with us, and sharing your feedback! We are so pleased to hear that you and your guests enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We really do appreciate your feedback as this helps us learn and grow, and ensure we are always being the very best that we can be.

Reviewed June 2, 2012

When we first arrived, we were given a welcome package including some bottled water and snacks and an internet passcode for the visit. We were also offered a late checkout on our last day without asking. The late checkout was 2pm which was perfect as our flight was 3pm. I am a Platinum member with Priority Club so I can't say for certain this would be offered to all, but all of it was mentioned without request. As far as the location, like other reviews state, it is right off the freeway. We were given a room on the other side and heard no noise from traffic at all. While I can't say if we would have heard with a room next to the freeway, I would recommend at least asking for a room away from it. I've given this resort an excellent rating for it's value and services provided. It's a Holiday Inn Express so don't expect luxury, but the rooms were very clean and nice and the service was very good. The location was excellent for us since we were on vacation. We were a few minutes from Old Town (too long to walk, but a short drive). And we were less than 15 minutes away from attractions like Sea World, the Zoo, Gaslamp District, USS Midway and other downtown attractions. Coronado Island is a short drive too as long as you avoid trying to go there during rush hour. Outside of that time, traffic was very reasonable throughout San Diego. We also did Safari Park which was about 30 minutes north. Overall we spent 4 days and 3 nights here and did so many attractions. I would highly recommend getting a Go San Diego card if you plan on hitting a lot of the local parks and museums. We saved well over $300 just from admission fees over our short visit. The hotel's location was great for all of that. I would certainly recommend this hotel based on our visit and would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank airriq

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We really do appreciate your feedback as this helps us learn and grow, and ensure we are always being the very best that we can be. Hope to welcome you at The Holiday Inn Express in the future!

Reviewed May 29, 2012

We stayed at the Holiday Inn for 3 nights and it was so convenient to the airport, has clean modern rooms, nice breakfast, refrigerator and microwave, and it even has a shop with lots of food items and beverages -- even Magnum Bars and ice cream. Nice touch. The shuttle to the airport was clean and on-time. Thank you Holiday Inn Express - another winner.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the other side from the freeway. Can be a little noisy during busy hours.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mollydaisy

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We really do appreciate your feedback and we are so glad that you had a pleasant experience here with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed May 25, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our time in San Diego Old Town and this hotel is in walking distance. San Diego Old Town has great bars and restaurants, and you can catch the Light Rail and San Diego Trolley. The Trolley was a great way to see all of San Diego.

Our room was large, clean, comfortable and quiet. The breakfast was reasonable and a good start to the day. They have free internet in the lobby. The laundry facilities were clean and reasonably priced. The hotel provides free shuttle bus rides to the airport and San Diego Sea World. Staff on the front desk were really friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kiwibrent1968

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us and we appreciate your feedback. We are happy to hear you were please with your room and had a comfortable stay! We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed May 15, 2012

We stayed here the night before a week vacation, and used their parking and airport shuttle service. The manager was very friendly on checkin, and the shuttle driver was very talkative and friendly. We were concerned about road noise from I-5, but we couldn't hear a thing from our room. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I would stay on the side away from I-5 if possible.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank ColetteAndJim

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay. Thank you so much for your kind words about our staff - they love what they do, and they had a great time taking care of you. We really appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again next time.