“Away from the Madding Crowd”

Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport - Old Town
Ranked #50 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed December 27, 2011

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Old Town last weekend mainly because of the parking, value and the opportunity for rewards.
When I looked at reviews for many of the other hotels in San Diego, there was a general consensus that you got fleeced for Valet parking, then you had to wait forever to get your car. Not so at this hotel. Parking is free and self-serve. The breakfast was not 5 star, but I really didn't expect it to be, it had reasonable variety and I didn't have to pay extra for it.
We paid less than I expected, given the proximity to downtown and Old Town, overall excellent value. The staff were warm and friendly. The guys at the desk at night were courteous and fun and answered questions knowledgeably. There is a shuttle that can take you to Old Town, the Zoo, Seaport and the airport... pretty much everywhere we were interested in going. We could probably have skipped getting the car.
If it's your first trip to San Diego, you can get away with no car if you are flexible about waiting for the shuttle and are going to the regular tourist stops. You can also take the shuttle to Old Town and hop onto the trolley ($34) to get into Coronado for excellent beaches.
Cons
The layout of the hotel is odd, there are two sections to the hotel, and you have to walk outside to get to the breakfast room and the front desk. The room we stayed in overlooked the pool and was outside of the secured door, the only thing between you and the main street is the pool, no locks or keycard access doors. Initially that made us feel a little unsafe, but it is really a quiet neighborhood and we eventually got over it.
You can walk to Old Town, but it's a 10-15min trek. We walked 3 times, and it was a good walk every time, so I guess that's not really a con.
The freeway is right there... really... right there... we had to change rooms because of freeway noise.
The planes feel like they are directly over your head as they come into the city, more noise to contend with, but it became white noise at some point for me.
Overall though, it was a great time. The hotel has a renovated feel which I liked. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a quiet hotel with breakfast, not overcrowded with tourists and with no hassle for parking.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the freeway are quieter. If you can get a room in the part of the hotel with...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Miss_meggie35
Write a ReviewReviews (1,142)

Reviewed December 25, 2011

My wife and I booked it for two nights for our first ever trip to San Diego for its price and our loyalty to Priority Club. The property is beaten up with old smelly carpets in corridors. The rooms are ok but the wireless internet was super slow. There were two phones in room and the one on bedside never worked despite complaint. The hotel rooms are right next to I-5 and despite double glazed windows, the noise gets to you late in night unless you are a heavy sleeper and nothing disturbs you. However, the wirst was reserved for breakfast where we were having juices mixed with water and scrambled eggs soaked in water. We informed the front desk but there was no change the next morning except that they had omlettes that were not soaked. The quality of breads, muffins, pancakes and coffee left us convinced that we would have been better off paying more and staying at another place. What is more shocking is the range of positive reviews which I just can't believe to be true. But to each his own. Next time I shall take such reviews with a pinch of salt.

Room Tip: Just stay away. Do not expect it to be a Holiday Inn standard property.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 19, 2011

We stayed at the Holiday Inn express and didn't expect much from it. But was pleasantly surprised at how nice the room was and the staff was very friendly. The breakfast wasn't the best but it was good.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Renee Y
Reviewed December 16, 2011

we stayed here iin dec and couldnt be happier....excellent staff from the cleaning crew to the front desk.....they were just great....breakfast was quite good....would stay again

Room Tip: glad we were not on the freeway side
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 13, 2011

We spent 4 nights here, 2 adults and 2 young children. Good location within an easy walk to the old town (although free bus shuttle saved this). Staff wee friendly and rooms clean. Good breakfast selection and handy to all attractions. Free car park as well and the staff were more than helpful.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 10, 2011

We were pleasantly surprised with our stay at this hotel. It's in an odd location, but an easy few block walk to Old Town and very close to highways to access downtown and the beaches. Our one complaint was the spa was overly-chlorinated to the point our skin itched for 2 days afterwards. We only went in that one time because it made us so uncomfortable. Rooms were clean, breakfast was great, people were friendly. Overall a great value!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 4, 2011

I spent two nights at this hotel while visiting San Diego on vacation.

Its location is convenient to the airport and has easy access to I-5, so getting to other area attractions is quite easy from the hotel. However, because it's immediately adjacent to I-5, traffic noise can be a problem for some rooms. Even the receptionist told me that he gave me a "quiet" room when I checked in (one facing away from the Interstate). There's not much in the immediate area of the hotel in the way of restaurants or shops; it has a bit of a commercial, almost industrial feel in the neighborhood.

Check-in was quick and easy at 8:00 PM on a Saturday night, and it was easy to find a parking spot in the free underground garage.

The room (single queen bed) was clean and updated, albeit a little small but just fine for a solo traveler. It had an in-room safe and had 12 available electrical outlets (two on the base of each of three lamps and a six-outet wall outlet) which meant I had no problem charging my laptop, cell phone, or camera batteries. The wireless Internet access was free (password required), but a bit intermittent. When I commented to the front desk, they checked into it and the service has been better since.

One other thing that was interesting was the fact that the bathroom door had a spring-loaded door closer which kept the door closed all the time. This meant that the heat couldn't get into the bathroom so it was a bit chilly in the morning. I had to prop the door open.

All in all, I was pleased with my stay and the value, and would return again.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from I-5
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo