“Excellent Value”

Ranked #154 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Canada
“Excellent Value”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Chose this hotel by it's location close to the freeway and selection of suites for a reasonable price.

Stayed here 5 nights at the end of Jan with 2 adults and 2 kids. Booked a suite with 2 double beds, a dividing door with a sofabed in separate area. The room also had 2 TV's, microwave and mini fridge. For the price I was very satisfied. It is pretty basic, not fancy, but clean and a great value. The included breakfast was satisfactory with a couple of hot options, pretty standard hotel complimentary breakfast. We used the heated pool and Jacuzzi on many nights.

Paid the extra $10/night for parking, but there is quite a lot of street parking if you want to save the money.

Rooms were fairly quiet except for the last night when several teenage sports teams checked in for the weekend, they were very loud in the halls night and morning. Otherwise no complaints.

You get what you pay for and for the very fair price I was satisfied and would stay here again. Also the front desk staff here is very friendly, helpful and welcoming. They are very happy to help with all your needs including check-in, attraction passes and directions. There is also a shuttle service here for the airport, Zoo & Seaworld. It is free, but there is limited availability so make sure to book a few days ahead or you might be disappointed. Need a car to drive to local restaurants etc. as nothing really in walking distance.

Room Tip: Suite upgrades are worth a few extra dollars.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Stephanie D, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo / SeaWorld Area, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Thank you Momtravelswith3 for taking the time to complete a review of our property based off your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy one of our double bedded suites, they are definitely a great value for a family traveling. We are actually in the process of upgrading the bedding package and should have that completed in the middle to end of February. We are very excited to have that rolled out and have it make the room feel even more like home.

I am sorry that you experienced some noise over the weekend when the sports teams checked in. I hope that it didn’t cause any inconveniences to you during your stay.

Thank you for sharing the tip also regarding the shuttle service. It does book up pretty quickly so it is smart to book as far ahead of time as possible to get your time slots that fit your needs.

I look forward to having you stay with us again during your next visit to San Diego.

Stephanie Downs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Perth, West Australia
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Our first contact with the reception staff was excellent and the information provided to us on locations, meals etc was top notch...Thank you
The suite rooms were well setup with a window dividing door between them and each room having its own TV (this allow parents to also control the other TV...just don't tell the kids) The beds were extremely comfortable and we all slept wonderfully, kids room come with a bunk bed setup just be careful of not putting a worm child on the top as the side rails are not much past the mattress, the room also has a separate air conditioner too
Breakfast in the morning was just Ok, sorry but you loose major points on not providing recyclable plates,dishes etc. Polystyrene dishes nowadays are just cheap rubbish and not good for the environment, the selection of dishes was above normal and tasted reasonable.
In general a lovely friendly hotel to stay at

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Stephanie D, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo / SeaWorld Area, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Thank you Talk2me33 for providing us with such good feedback on your recent stay with us during your San Diego visit.

I value your feedback and we will look into options of what types of recyclable plates as an option in our breakfast room. I am glad to hear though that you enjoyed the rest of your stay and that the service you experienced was top notch.

I look forward to having you be our guest again on your next visit to the San Diego area!

Alpine, California
Reviewed January 26, 2014

this was my first experience with Comfort Inn. I had a great time there and the location was perfect. the rooms were good size and layout of the room and grounds were enjoyable. the bed was very comfortable. everything was clean and well maintained. the employees were fun to talk to. the hot/cold sit down breakfast was very good. once again very clean with neat people. the Comfort Inn is next to interstate 5 and 8 near Old Town. it is in the heart of san diego. if you dont want to drive you can eat next door at a very good steak house "the Hunter". the other option is Old Town. you can drive or walk over the bridge. it is about a 1 1/2 mile walk. you will see the back half of the san diego mission park. enjoyed it.

Room Tip: rooms that face south get morning sun, but over look the freeway. they also overlook a park. the roo...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Stephanie D, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo / SeaWorld Area, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and had a great experience with Comfort Inn. I am glad that you found our rooms & layout to your liking and that the beds were comfortable. It’s great to hear that our staff was able to connect with you during your stay. I will be sure to pass on your comments regarding your stay and our surroundings.

We hope that we are able to serve you as our guest on your next visit to the San Diego area.

Bay Of Quinte
Reviewed January 22, 2014

We were unfamiliar with San Diego when we picked this hotel the location is right by the freeway close to the zoo and Sea World but there was only a steakhouse within walking distance. There is a park area with walking trail close by but nothing else really not what we expected our mistake. The hotel staff were helpful friendly check in was fast as was checkout no problems at all. We booked a room with a king bed but discovered we had a king bed in one room and bunk beds in another "room" it was not what we wanted. We were travelling with family who booked a room with 2 double beds so we switched rooms so the 2single people could have their own space this worked out fine for them. I just found it odd the room we were assigned. There were microwaves and bar fridges in the rooms they were clean and comfortable no complaints. The breakfast area offered lots to choose from and was continually restocked sometimes hard to find a seat this was a busy well used space. The pool area was nice although it was shady so a bit cool for January . Other than not liking the area this hotel was well priced and we felt a good value.very good for families with children.

Room Tip: If you ask for a room with 2 beds you will be facing the freeway which can be noisy.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 4theluvofgolf
I am sorry that you did not like the location of our property. I am however happy to hear that your stay with us was enjoyable.

We hope you choose to stay with us again on your next San Diego vacation.

Mesa, Az
Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here to attend our sons graduation from Marine bootcamp. It s close to everything and easy access to downtown, old town, Seaworld, and the airport(SAN). The rooms are plain but good size and clean with a refrigerator. The bed was one of the more comfortable beds for a hotel in this price range with no complaints. The breakfast is what you would expect from a Comfort Inn with lots of seating. Parking is an additional fee ($10.95 per night) but there is parking on the street for free. I would definitely stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank AZMesaFamily
Stephanie D, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo / SeaWorld Area, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Hi AZMesaFamily,

Congratulations on your sons graduation from boot camp. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of our beds and were able to enjoy our complimentary hot breakfast.

We look forward to having you be our guest during you next visit to San Diego.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed January 20, 2014

My family and I stayed at this hotel over the Holidays, it was actually picked by my 10 year old nephew because he liked the look of the pool and the location was great for local family coming to visit. I flew in to San Diego airport and called the hotel. They quoted me 20 mins for the shuttle; I felt this was fair do to me still needing to get my bags. The shuttle was on time and right where he told me to meet him.
We got to the hotel and I checked-in. The lady at the counter was very friendly and helpful. I inquired if the rest of my family checked in, she said yes and offered a courtesy call to their room, nice touch! I ended up finding my sister family at the pool, my nephew was soo excited about his room that he just had to show me dripping wet and all. Sorry…
The bunk beds in the kid’s suite that my sister booked were pretty kool if you ask me. Something you would expect at the Lego Land or Disney hotel..
The next day I took the kids to get breakfast, the breakfast area was packed, seemed a lot of family had the same idea. Being a little concerned that how busy they were the food would be gone like most hotels. We were about to leave and find something else when we were greeted by a very nice young lady asking how many in your party and my last name. After confirming I was a guest she got us seated, it was a little crazy but very well managed. As I was helping the kids make waffles I notice a team of staff putting out more food and even clearing plates and pouring coffee. A manager named Stephino stopped by the table and asked if we were ok and how was our stay. Again nice touch, making me feels at home.
One other great thing about this hotel is the free transportation to and from the Zoo and SeaWorld saving us on parking charges and one way streets.
Thumbs up from this family…

Room Tip: the kid bunk beds were great for little ones...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Andy S
Stephanie D, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo / SeaWorld Area, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you Andy S for your kind words and feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you and your family were able to enjoy one of our kids suite rooms they are especially a big hit with kids. It is definitely one of our unique features at this Comfort Inn & Suites. It’s great that you were able to utilize our complimentary shuttle service to the parks it definitely helps to be able to save the money on parking at SeaWorld.

Hope we can have the pleasure of having you as our guest on your next San Diego visit.

Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

Very average.All the bugs outside made me nervous they would make thier way into my room-but they didnt.The first room they checked me into was old and outdated.But I complained and got a nicer room free of charge.Not bad-but not the Hilton either.Hotel is AVERAGE-right in the middle.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank nobreak1269
Stephanie D, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo / SeaWorld Area, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time for submitting your review. Reviews help assess how our staff is performing and address concerns of our guests. I apologize that the first room was not up standard I am glad that we were able to get you into a different room though that was nicer for you.

We are excited to be getting new bedding package in all our guest rooms that should be completed by middle to end of February which should definitely increase the satisfaction and comfort of our guest rooms.

I hope that we have an opportunity to have you be our guest again on your next visit to San Diego.