“Do Not Stay here”

Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo / SeaWorld Area
Ranked #170 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I called for a last minute reservation for the evening of June 26th and I was told that a room was available for that evening and I then asked if they had a top floor room and the lady on the phone said she didn't know if they had a top floor room, which I found strange. I went to check in around 9:30 pm and was told it was $10 to park, which I WAS NOT told about on the phone and there was NO parking in the lot of the hotel only on the street. After having a 10 minute discussion about the fact I wasn't told about the parking fee the reservation lady finally went and talked to the night manager and he told her to waive the fee, The manager should have come out and talked to me personally but he choose to have his employees do it for him. Again I told the reservation lady that I wanted a top floor room and she proceeded to give me keys for a second floor room, this is after talking to her on the phone and in person. I got to my room finally and found the bathroom sink to be leaking, I had to use washcloths to mop up the water, called the front desk, to be told it would be fixed in the am when I was checking out and to top it all off don't plan on having breakfast here, I got up early to get there by 7:15 am, which is supposed to be the "slow time" there were no tables, no coffee and front desk told me it was a sit down breakfast, NOT true, a bunch of cold cereal, NO muffins, they were out as well and COLD biscuits and gravy. I would NOT recommend this hotel to any one I know. I called the hotel and left a message for the general manager and what a surprise NO call back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank michelle g
Stephanie D, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo / SeaWorld Area, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear Michelle G,

Hospitably yours,

Stephanie Downs

Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is our 3rd time and we still love it. We went as a family to visit nearby San Diego attractions and it's just a great hotel. The front staff is very friendly and helpful upon check-in, the rooms are very comfortable and you can't beat the kids suites. Breakfast is great, it would be nice if it was larger but people move in and out pretty fast. Location is great, you're basically 10 minutes from almost all attractions in San Diego. Love it and will come back again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank shanti w
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

We went out for the day and came back at 3:30 from the beach and our room was still not clean! I called the desk & the gentleman said they had until 5:30 to clean...that doesn't seem acceptable. They did offer to come clean the room, but we were tired and didn't want t up leave while they cleaned. I asked for clean towels & they came, but our room should have been cleaned. The free breakfast offered waffles, yogurt, fruit, Breads, cereals & drinks. This l offered something for everyone. We did have two queen beds & a pull-out bed for the 6 of us. Would we stay again? I might look around...

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Cockroach in bathroom...
No microwave - asked front desk to help me and they did...but why not have a guest accessible one for guests whose kids are picky eaters?
Room furniture needs attention...especially for high rates charged
Parking is an extra $10 PER NIGHT ...why?
Poor storage and closet space
No guest laundry other than service (takes too long and too expensive)...in San Diego - by the beach...why?
Terrible view of highway curve
Not enough room @ breakfast for guests - honestly will gladly pay next time so we can eat...
This hotel needs a major overhaul - staff were friendly - they were the only good point and relatively close to some attractions. Yuck otherwise.

Room Tip: Cockroach in bathroom...may the force be with you
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank AlisonRa
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I traveled with my friends to San Diego and decided to stay at this hotel. It was a good choice. We were a little ways from our everything but we were right on the freeway. Minimal noise. Make sure you know they charge you for parking! Overall a great hotel. Will stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stayed here for our trip to Seaworld and found it very convienient for our needs. the room was clean and large. Breakfast the first morning was a bun fight with too many people and not enough room fo all to get their food and find somewhere to sit and eat it. Unfortunately the pool was out of use whilst we were there. Overall I would stay again as it was good value.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Stephanie D, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo / SeaWorld Area, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a trip advisor review. We know your time is valuable and we appreciate your feedback.

We look forward to having you be our guest on your next visit to San Diego.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

I will preface this review by saying that this hotel was our "second choice" for a hotel for our April trip to SeaWorld. We had booked a much more expensive hotel on the waterfront, and then decided that the budget for our little trip was ballooning, so we sought more economical accommodations. I was prepared to be disappointed after getting my heart set on the our first fancy choice, however, this hotel turned out to be a really happy compromise for us!

We booked directly on the hotel website, and were able to get a discount with our BCAA (AAA) card. Our room was a King Suite with bunk beds. It was perfect - two separate sleeping areas (door that closes between) with a TV in each room. The kids bunk room was towards the back of the suite, which is great, because then the parents have access to the bathroom and the door out to the hallway, without having to tiptoe past sleeping kids. The suite was not what I would call "roomy", but it had everything we needed and lots of storage. Also, the fixtures and furnishing looked clean and fairly new. Overall, the room was just great for our 3 night visit.

Here are some things we really liked about this hotel:

1. Location: it was less than 10 minutes by car to SeaWorld, and the route was really easy to navigate - a blessing for us "small town folks" who get a little intimidated driving in big cities.

2. Nearby conveniences: as long as you're OK with eating at "chain" restaurants, there were many choices for dining within about 5 minutes. We went to the Cheesecake Factory one evening and Joe's Crab Shack another. Both times it was less than 15 minutes between the time we left the hotel and the time we were seated.

3. The Pool: I will admit that living in snow for 7 or 8 months of the year means our family goes a bit "ga-ga" every time we see a palm tree or a bird-of-paradise, but to our Canadian eyes the pool was totally lovely! Nothing fancy, but clean, lots of comfy seating, a good-sized hot tub and nice landscaping (including those beloved palm trees!). The pool is shallow on either end and deep in the middle, so smaller kids have two places to play. But note- there's not a "kiddie" area at the pool. Kids who are good swimmers and who are 4 ft. or taller will have the most fun.

4. The Breakfast: offerings included waffles, bagels, English muffins, yogurt, fruit, etc. There was usually one "hot" item each day - on the days we were there they had biscuits and gravy on two of the days, and sausage and hashbrowns the other. If you're like my husband and need protein - they had hard-boiled eggs in the cooler with the yogurt. So basically, the breakfast was super-convenient and had everything we needed to get going in the mornings. (I will confirm what has been mentioned in previous reviews - we definitely noticed that the later it got, the more crowds, noise and disorganization descended upon the breakfast area. This never really bothered us because we were finished and gone before it got too crazy).

5. VALUE: Hmmmm - a clean, pleasant SUITE, in a well-cared-for hotel, in a great location, with lots of parking, a fun pool, complimentary breakfast, nice staff, for less than $150 a night - where do I sign?

Just a bit of extra info - we used some of the money we saved by changing hotels to treat our family to the "Dolphin Encounter" at SeaWorld. We'd do that again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family