I will preface this review by saying that this hotel was our "second choice" for a hotel for our April trip to SeaWorld. We had booked a much more expensive hotel on the waterfront, and then decided that the budget for our little trip was ballooning, so we sought more economical accommodations. I was prepared to be disappointed after getting my heart set on the our first fancy choice, however, this hotel turned out to be a really happy compromise for us!
We booked directly on the hotel website, and were able to get a discount with our BCAA (AAA) card. Our room was a King Suite with bunk beds. It was perfect - two separate sleeping areas (door that closes between) with a TV in each room. The kids bunk room was towards the back of the suite, which is great, because then the parents have access to the bathroom and the door out to the hallway, without having to tiptoe past sleeping kids. The suite was not what I would call "roomy", but it had everything we needed and lots of storage. Also, the fixtures and furnishing looked clean and fairly new. Overall, the room was just great for our 3 night visit.
Here are some things we really liked about this hotel:
1. Location: it was less than 10 minutes by car to SeaWorld, and the route was really easy to navigate - a blessing for us "small town folks" who get a little intimidated driving in big cities.
2. Nearby conveniences: as long as you're OK with eating at "chain" restaurants, there were many choices for dining within about 5 minutes. We went to the Cheesecake Factory one evening and Joe's Crab Shack another. Both times it was less than 15 minutes between the time we left the hotel and the time we were seated.
3. The Pool: I will admit that living in snow for 7 or 8 months of the year means our family goes a bit "ga-ga" every time we see a palm tree or a bird-of-paradise, but to our Canadian eyes the pool was totally lovely! Nothing fancy, but clean, lots of comfy seating, a good-sized hot tub and nice landscaping (including those beloved palm trees!). The pool is shallow on either end and deep in the middle, so smaller kids have two places to play. But note- there's not a "kiddie" area at the pool. Kids who are good swimmers and who are 4 ft. or taller will have the most fun.
4. The Breakfast: offerings included waffles, bagels, English muffins, yogurt, fruit, etc. There was usually one "hot" item each day - on the days we were there they had biscuits and gravy on two of the days, and sausage and hashbrowns the other. If you're like my husband and need protein - they had hard-boiled eggs in the cooler with the yogurt. So basically, the breakfast was super-convenient and had everything we needed to get going in the mornings. (I will confirm what has been mentioned in previous reviews - we definitely noticed that the later it got, the more crowds, noise and disorganization descended upon the breakfast area. This never really bothered us because we were finished and gone before it got too crazy).
5. VALUE: Hmmmm - a clean, pleasant SUITE, in a well-cared-for hotel, in a great location, with lots of parking, a fun pool, complimentary breakfast, nice staff, for less than $150 a night - where do I sign?
Just a bit of extra info - we used some of the money we saved by changing hotels to treat our family to the "Dolphin Encounter" at SeaWorld. We'd do that again in a heartbeat!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Whether it's for a family vacation, a romantic getaway or when you're traveling on business, you can’t beat the friendly service and comfortable accommodations offered at the Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo/SeaWorld. This Choice Hotels’ Gold Hospitality Award winner offers a convenient location, excellent service and extra amenities, all backed by our Signature Guarantee. -Located on San Diego’s famous Hotel Circle, 5 minutes to SeaWorld, Zoo, Downtown and San Diego’s world-famous beaches -Five minutes from the new Riverwalk Golf Course and Mission and Fashion Valley Malls -Free deluxe breakfast buffet includes an assortment of pastries and muffins, toast, fresh fruit, choice of hot and cold cereals with milk, espresso, coffee, tea and a variety of juices. -Winner of Choice Hotels’ Gold Hospitality Award recognizing exceptional service, facilities and hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Choice Hotels so you can book your Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo / SeaWorld Area reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Comfort Inn And Suites Zoo / Seaworld Area
- Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo / Seaworld Area Hotel San Diego
- Comfort Inn Hotel Zoo
- Comfort Inn San Diego Zoo
- San Diego Comfort Inn Suites Zoo
- Comfort Inn Suite Zoo Sea World