We stayed at the Catamaran for 5 nights in September 2010. The hotel is in a unique and desirable location. It is unique in that out the front door you are a 1 block walk from the Pacific Ocean, a fantastic beach and the PB / MB boardwalk while out the back door you are steps from the sands and calm waters of Mission Bay. You really are spoiled for choice and the phrase best of both worlds springs to mind.
If you want for some reason to head downtown from here then there is a bus stop across the street and you are within walking distance to many eateries and bars.
We have stayed in PB many times. This hotel itself is spot on. Lobby is a site to behold, performing parrots in the courtyard and the adjoining grounds would not seem out of place in a Hawaiian Island. The onsite gym is among the best I have experienced in relation to one provided by a hotel. The pool and hot tub and great as is the comfort of the surrounding loungers.
In terms of the room, we stayed in the tower as opposed to the lower rise rooms which are dotted throughout the property. I have no issues with our room. Spacious, clean, nice balcony with a view to die for.
Do not mistake me for equating this with a 5 star property because it is not. The thing is though that if luxury accomodation is what you seek then MB and PB aren't truely the places for you. The best you can get in terms of luxury would be the Tower 23 or the Pacific Terrace. However be prepared to pay 6 star prices for what is truely (in any other beach location) 4 star properties at best.
If money is no object and/or you don't mind paying a premium then one of these 2 would be your preferred option. However, if you are happy with a solid 3 star in a great location for considerably less then you will not be disappointed with the Catamaran
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One of the few resorts on Mission Bay to not charge a resort fee! The Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa is a paradisiacal destination located on the shores of Mission Bay and mere steps from San Diego’s famous Pacific Beach. With features including lush tropical gardens and private beach, this Polynesian-themed hotel offers an ideal blend of fun and tranquility all year-round. Established in 1958, the Catamaran is a paradise featuring more than 1,000 varieties of exotic plants and animals from around the world. Palm trees, bamboo, waterfalls and koi ponds appeal to the senses, while playful parrots delight and intrigue guests. The Catamaran’s architecture, reminiscent of the traditional Colonial Hawaiian style, boasts accents including totem poles handcrafted in Bali, art pieces such as tapa cloth from Vanuatu and a beautiful front desk constructed of Black Koa wood imported directly from Tahiti. At the Catamaran, guests are checked into one of 310 guest rooms, studios or suites, each with a private balcony or patio that opens to stunning views of Mission Bay, the Pacific Beach neighborhood and coastline, or the hotel’s lush tropical gardens. All guests are provided a full range of amenities including complimentary Wi-Fi and 24-hour room service. On-site dining options include Oceana Coastal Kitchen, rated by Zagat as one of San Diego’s most anticipated restaurants of 2015 and featuring chef-driven surf and turf dishes. Next door to this signature restaurant is Moray’s, where guests can sip on a signature Moray’s Mai Tai, savor a local craft beer and enjoy daily happy hour specials. Both venues feature a blend of indoor and patio spaces, the latter lined with tiki torches, fire pit tables and lush palms. Guests may also choose to grab a bite poolside at the Catamaran’s full bar and grill which serves up barbecue favorites during the spring and summer months. Another standout summer special is the Catamaran’s signature luaus, featuring live performers that guide guests through the cultures of the South Pacific as they enjoy a Hawaiian buffet. Those who prefer to spend their time on the water can opt for a cruise on the Bahia Belle, a replica of an 1860s-era sternwheeler that tours around Mission Bay. Step back in time and enjoy a colorful sunset from the top deck, or kick up your heels as the vessel becomes a vibrant nightlife destination with live entertainment and a full-service bar. The Catamaran Spa—the only beachfront spa in San Diego—offers a South Pacific-inspired menu of treatments including massages, facials, body wraps, hydrotherapy treatments and more—carried out with all-natural marine and botanical elements. Additional wellness amenities include an outdoor pool and hot tub, beach cabanas, an open air fitness center, seasonal outdoor yoga classes and more. Further vacation activities include rental paddleboards, sailboats, kayaks, surfboards, bicycles and Segways. The Catamaran is also located within the beach towns Mission Beach and Pacific Beach, where guests can stroll the boardwalk or the iconic Crystal Pier, play at the beach or experience a variety of cafes and boutiques. The resort is also within 10 miles of major San Diego attractions such as SeaWorld, the San Diego Zoo, Balboa Park, Downtown’s Gaslamp District and the San Diego International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, HotelsClick and Evoline ltd so you can book your Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catamaran Resort & Spa San Diego
- Catamaran Hotel Mission Bay
- Catamaran Resort San Diego
- Catamaran San Diego