Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa
$329
  • Restaurant
Omni San Diego Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$289
$231
$232
$151
  • Breakfast included
Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$206
  • Beachfront
Bahia Resort Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$219
  • Pool
Paradise Point Resort & Spa(San Diego)
$217
  • Pool
The Dana on Mission Bay(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$169
Travelocity
$690
$499
Fairmont.com
4,311 results
All reviewsmission bayexotic birdsdave hopperoceana restaurantbanquet captainthe pacific oceanbay fronttower roombahia bellegreat resortgarden viewbit datedparking garagesea worldfamily vacationla jollaluau
Reviewed October 13, 2005

Our stay at the Catamaran was awful. We paid for a one bedroom bay front suite and it was like a room out of "Three's Company". The desk could give a rat's --- if you like it or not. I even wrote to the owner to complain about out room and stay and they never even answered. The A/C is non existant in Room 521. After 3 days of the A/C on HIGH we were starting to get the room below 80 degrees and the maid turned off the A/C while we were at Sea World. I tried to call the desk to complain and the phone cord fell out of the phone. The toilet leaked and we had asked someone to come fix it. They came up and looked at it and agreed..it leaked and left. WE paid a lot of money for a 4 night stay there and the owners/desk/maids..EVERYBODY..could care less what you have to endure. I am serious..do not stay here. The rooms are old....the furniture is old.....the carpet is old.....and thier attitude is really old. The Atoll restaurant is way over priced and the food is average. I am still mad..even after a month has passed..can ya tell? Go somewher else and stay. BTW...don't stay at the Bahia either. IT IS OWNED BY THE SAME PEOPLE.
We even called the desk to speak to management. They said management would return our calls they were busy at the moment. They never did call us back. Sad..Sad Sad..
Tacoma Washington.

• Stayed: August 2005
8  Thank Boog48
Reviewed October 12, 2005

Stayed at the Catamaran Oct 9-12th, drove in from AZ. Arrived about 3pm, checking quick. First impression - Older hotel, darker wood, open air lobby with koi pond. Was ok, nothing special.

We stayed in the tower, floor 3. There was some 'construction' or at least I hoped so, as there were holes in the walls of the building entry way. The door to the building was never shut, and it seemed anyone could walk in off the street, so not as secure as I would have expected (would have expected keyed entry, since there is no reception area staffed in this building) We had 2 double beds and a sofa. Was very roomy. The bathroom was Tiny, only 1 sink. There was a mini-kitchen, we did not use.

The beds seemed to be made out of all large springs and no stuffing. Were not very comfortable. The furnishings otherwise ok.

Parking $9/day in garage.

Area surrounding hotel somewhat scary for little ones. The pacific beach and Mission beach area full of homeless, and most folks drinking alcohol. We walked along the beach a few times, twice AM, twice PM. The boardwalk was clean of trash, but there were homeless folks sleeeping, drinking, etc. My kids were scared and did not want to go back out.

The pool was heated, and towels plentiful. We did get room service, the food was reasonably priced and tasted fine.

Sea World was an easy 5-10 min drive, legoland less than 30 minutes.

Next time I would consider staying at Coronado or La Jolla.

• Stayed: October 2005
3  Thank Cathy D
A TripAdvisor Member
Fullerton, CA
Reviewed October 7, 2005

We were hesitant to come here after reading the wide range of reviews, but thought we'd give it a try. They booked us in one of the Section 400 rooms. We had a spacious room, comfortable king-sized bed, two sinks, shower/bath, frig, coffee-maker, couch, desk, free Internet connection for our laptop, and, on top of all that, a deck directly adjacent to a large koi pond with palm trees, swans, and ducks! We just opened out sliding glass door and enjoyed the tropical nature right outside! The facility has over 100 different kinds of palms, several macaw and parrots that are fun to watch, and Mission Bay is right outside the gate. If the ocean is your preference, Pacific Beach is only a two-minute walk away. The staff was friendly and courteous, the bed was comfortable, the price online was $99 a night (plus $9 per day for parking). We called, and they said the price was $189, but then I told them the Internet rate, and they said they would match it. Yes, there were some cracks in the bathroom counter, but everything was clean and comfortable. The Pacific Beach area is not an upper-class neighborhood, but is more older middle class-type. It is about 2 miles from the freeway, so it takes a little time to get to downtown San Diego, but only about 15 minutes. This was a real bargain, and we wished we could have stayed longer. If you like nature, the tropical plants, birds, and fish add a wonderful attraction to your stay here. We definitely plan to go again.

• Stayed: October 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 21, 2005

My wife and I went to the Catamaran for our Honeymoon. This was a big mistake.

We arrived in our room, which was on the second floor of the two storey building. First, one of the lights in the room had a short in it, and I had to call the front desk to get someone on there to fix it before it started a fire. Then I noticed that the phone didn't work because there was a short in the cord, and that had to be replaced. The carpet had brown threadbare patches.

We opened the door to the patio and realized that our room was next to the bar and restaurant area and there was a large screen TV outside with a football game blasting. In addition to that, people were smoking at the outdoor tables and the cigarette smoke blew into our faces.

We went to the front desk to complain about the situation and we were told that the game would be over at 7PM. We figured that we would simply put up with it as it would be over in a bit. Well, they lied, it was a doubleheader game and it went on until about 9PM. We complained again and we were offered another room in the tower, but one that had a garden view, which I suspect meant that it faced the street. We paid for a room that faced the bay, so we decided to wait until it was all over and we could enjoy the room the next day.

Wrong. The next day, when we looked out of the balcony, we noticed they were setting up tables and chairs on the grass right outside of our room. They had a convention eating lunch outside the room, so we couldn't enjoy the view then either. Fine, we figured they would be finished by dinner and we could have dinner out on the balcony.

Wrong again. They set up the tables and chairs again, but this time, in addition to having a full complement of diners outside our window, they also had blasting live reggae music.

We were upset, and called the front desk again. They offered to give us another room in the same building, facing the beach, just a little farther away from the room we had. We asked them if the music would be lower in the new room and they said, "Probably not." They also told us, "No one else has complained about it."

So we said that we didn't want to have to move rooms for little change. They then asked us if we wanted to leave. I thought about it but realized that if I left and drove back to Orange County, I'd arrive home at 9:30 PM and would have to send our friend home, who was watching our dog. They couldn't comp me a room as I'd paid with an online reservation service, but they removed the charge from the extras: dinner at the restaurant, parking, and room service.

Other problems: the grounds and the stairs are really dark at night, the hotel is in a marginal neighborhood that doesn't quite feel safe (we saw several scary homeless people), the restaurant food was really good but really expensive (we had three appetizers and two side salads plus two sodas and the bill was over $70), we ordered room service and put our tray and dishes outside the room...five hours later, the dishes were still out there and we had to call for them to remove them.

The bottom line is that the hotel doesn't really seem to care about their guests. They seem more interested in their convention business, which is probably where they make their money. There isn't the kind of attention to detail that good hotels pay attention to, and for the price, I expect this.

We expected that on our honeymoon, we would be able to relax in and around our room, but we weren't able to do that. I got about $100 back from the hotel, but they're never going to be able to give me my honeymoon back.

Don't stay at this hotel. There are nicer places to stay at the same price.

• Stayed: September 2005
14  Thank Mr_Lucas_Brice
Reviewed September 18, 2005

We just returned from a wonderful stay at the Catamaran from September 13 -17th. I am inclined to post this review only to help anyone who might have doubts on this hotel because of a few of the negative post immediately below....

First of all. When we drove down from Anaheim last Tuesday we were immediately impressed with the hotels grounds. Very nicely landscaped around the parking lot, plenty of palm trees and lush vegetation. Our first reception was by the car valet. Nicely opened my wife and daughter's doors and welcomed us to the hotel. We were checking in early and he offerred to park our rental while we went to the front desk.

As we were checking in early the front desk staff told us our room was unoccupied but needed a couple of hours to be cleaned. No problem with me as it was only 1:00 at the time. They invited us to use the gym or the pool. We chose to walk a hundred feet past the parking lot to the ocean. A bit of advise - the Mission and Ocean Beach promenades are a bit gritty. The odd homeless person, etc. At no time did I ever feel unsafe but I know some people get freaked out. Not me.

Once we were able to get into our room - one hour early I might add - we found our bags already there a brief note from the bellman and valet explaining how to retrieve our vehicle when required. This was a nice touch and I had to make sure to drop a tip for the guys who were doing such a great job of taking care of us.

On to the swimming pool. Awesome. Plenty of chairs and loungers. It looked like the towels had been all used up and were promptly replenished by housekeeping before I even thought to call. Hot tub is amazing. So big you could swim in it. We used the pool area every day. Never crowded - always clean.

The grounds are magical. Rare and beautiful birds waddle about the various pools and jungle like gardens. Big hit with my kids.

The restuarant was great. We only used it for breakfast so I can't comment past that. The service was very friendly but I'll admit was a little slower than most resturants I'm used to. I am pretty forgiving of slower service while on holiday. I am in no big rush ever while away.

All in all the room we had was nice. Two big beds and a nice sofa with a couple of comfy chairs. The view from our balcony was impressive. Full south exposure of Mission Bay and the Ocean. With the slider left open we could hear the waves crashing on the beach at night.

Realistically I don't think it could be better for the money we paid. Average rate of $235/night. I think people making comparisons to Four Seasons or Westin Hotels should re-address what they should expect in this price range. I would rank the Catamaran as a three star that some might find expensive but it is right on the Bay with commanding views of the ocean and really nice ammenities. You will always pay for that location.

We will be back for sure.

Good job Catamaran!!