Stayed at the Catamaran Oct 9-12th, drove in from AZ. Arrived about 3pm, checking quick. First impression - Older hotel, darker wood, open air lobby with koi pond. Was ok, nothing special.
We stayed in the tower, floor 3. There was some 'construction' or at least I hoped so, as there were holes in the walls of the building entry way. The door to the building was never shut, and it seemed anyone could walk in off the street, so not as secure as I would have expected (would have expected keyed entry, since there is no reception area staffed in this building) We had 2 double beds and a sofa. Was very roomy. The bathroom was Tiny, only 1 sink. There was a mini-kitchen, we did not use.
The beds seemed to be made out of all large springs and no stuffing. Were not very comfortable. The furnishings otherwise ok.
Parking $9/day in garage.
Area surrounding hotel somewhat scary for little ones. The pacific beach and Mission beach area full of homeless, and most folks drinking alcohol. We walked along the beach a few times, twice AM, twice PM. The boardwalk was clean of trash, but there were homeless folks sleeeping, drinking, etc. My kids were scared and did not want to go back out.
The pool was heated, and towels plentiful. We did get room service, the food was reasonably priced and tasted fine.
Sea World was an easy 5-10 min drive, legoland less than 30 minutes.
Next time I would consider staying at Coronado or La Jolla.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One of the few resorts on Mission Bay to not charge a resort fee! The Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa is a paradisiacal destination located on the shores of Mission Bay and mere steps from San Diego’s famous Pacific Beach. With features including lush tropical gardens and private beach, this Polynesian-themed hotel offers an ideal blend of fun and tranquility all year-round. Established in 1958, the Catamaran is a paradise featuring more than 1,000 varieties of exotic plants and animals from around the world. Palm trees, bamboo, waterfalls and koi ponds appeal to the senses, while playful parrots delight and intrigue guests. The Catamaran’s architecture, reminiscent of the traditional Colonial Hawaiian style, boasts accents including totem poles handcrafted in Bali, art pieces such as tapa cloth from Vanuatu and a beautiful front desk constructed of Black Koa wood imported directly from Tahiti. At the Catamaran, guests are checked into one of 310 guest rooms, studios or suites, each with a private balcony or patio that opens to stunning views of Mission Bay, the Pacific Beach neighborhood and coastline, or the hotel’s lush tropical gardens. All guests are provided a full range of amenities including complimentary Wi-Fi and 24-hour room service. On-site dining options include Oceana Coastal Kitchen, rated by Zagat as one of San Diego’s most anticipated restaurants of 2015 and featuring chef-driven surf and turf dishes. Next door to this signature restaurant is Moray’s, where guests can sip on a signature Moray’s Mai Tai, savor a local craft beer and enjoy daily happy hour specials. Both venues feature a blend of indoor and patio spaces, the latter lined with tiki torches, fire pit tables and lush palms. Guests may also choose to grab a bite poolside at the Catamaran’s full bar and grill which serves up barbecue favorites during the spring and summer months. Another standout summer special is the Catamaran’s signature luaus, featuring live performers that guide guests through the cultures of the South Pacific as they enjoy a Hawaiian buffet. Those who prefer to spend their time on the water can opt for a cruise on the Bahia Belle, a replica of an 1860s-era sternwheeler that tours around Mission Bay. Step back in time and enjoy a colorful sunset from the top deck, or kick up your heels as the vessel becomes a vibrant nightlife destination with live entertainment and a full-service bar. The Catamaran Spa—the only beachfront spa in San Diego—offers a South Pacific-inspired menu of treatments including massages, facials, body wraps, hydrotherapy treatments and more—carried out with all-natural marine and botanical elements. Additional wellness amenities include an outdoor pool and hot tub, beach cabanas, an open air fitness center, seasonal outdoor yoga classes and more. Further vacation activities include rental paddleboards, sailboats, kayaks, surfboards, bicycles and Segways. The Catamaran is also located within the beach towns Mission Beach and Pacific Beach, where guests can stroll the boardwalk or the iconic Crystal Pier, play at the beach or experience a variety of cafes and boutiques. The resort is also within 10 miles of major San Diego attractions such as SeaWorld, the San Diego Zoo, Balboa Park, Downtown’s Gaslamp District and the San Diego International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, HotelPower, Hotwire, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and HotelsClick so you can book your Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catamaran Resort & Spa San Diego
- Catamaran Hotel Mission Bay
- Catamaran Resort San Diego
- Catamaran San Diego