“The Catamaran was AWESOME!!!!”

Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa
Ranked #13 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed May 8, 2005

We stayed at the catamaran for four nights this past week. It was outstanding and well worth the money we paid.

The property itself is georgeous. Their website photos do not do justice. Every room, unless you get a bayfront room, has a beautiful garden view. The interior of the property is a wonderful garden area with waterways, exotic plants and lush gardens. There are several types of bird, ducks, parrots and what not that call the Catamaran home. At night, they light bamboo torches which adds a nice touch.

The pool area is great as well. Very nice with a bar in the spring/summer months. Large hot tub and a nice big heated pool.

Our room was superb. We stayed in room 601, a bay front room which was great. It had a bayview, the room was clean and nicely decorated. Nice touches, furniture, an actual closet, bug bathroom which was clean. Note: We were attending a wedding and when we visited the bride in her bay front suite, which was located on the bottom floor-it was a little musty smelling. Other then that- nice as well.

Room service and restaurant were great. Good service, good value and excellent food. Try the four cheese pizza-yummmm!

All in all- it was excellent. Would highly recommend the Catamaran and will be back for sure!!!

• Stayed: May 2005
7  Thank beansielove
Write a ReviewReviews (4,202)

Reviewed April 29, 2005

My boyfriend and I ventured to San Diego last weekend for one night and decided to hole up near the beach. The Catamaran looked like a decent hotel, so we booked it and headed down. When we first pulled up, it looked as we had thought it would, but upon walking into the lobby it appeared to be much more posh than expected. There were koi ponds with waterfalls, beautiful tile floors and dark wood trim and palms everywhere. There are several courtyards with great landscaping and more ponds and I kind of got lost in the first five minutes, but then found my way. The room was clean and had a small kitchen with stove and fridge, which was a pleasant suprise. There was also a couch and a big balcony. At this point things are looking up. So we went about our business in San Diego, turning in after a few drinks around 3am. At about 7am the noise began to our head's dismay. The walls must be made out of paper because I could hear a child as if they were actually in our room, screaming and running around. And everytime he jumped or anything, it sounded like a bulldozer coming through the wall. Finally they left for SeaWorld (as heard through their convo) and bam! Apparently construction was needed at 9am. It sounded like a jackhammer, though I never actually looked, but it lasted until 12pm, which was about the time we checked out. It was horrible. Like I said, it was a nice hotel, but I will never stay there again due to the noise.

• Stayed: April 2005
1  Thank Stacki
Reviewed April 9, 2005

This hotel was OK but not great.
The staff were OK but the reception staff gave the impression that they were half asleep and couldn't really be bothered.
The garden area with the ducks and parrots is very good.
The pool area was nice. Luckily most of the hotel seemed to be occupied by business travellers so there was plenty of room at the pool. I think it would be too small if the hotel had more tourist clients.
The rooms and beds were the smallest out of the 5 hotels we stopped in during our trip to California. Also the bathroom had no hair drier.
The plumbing in the hotel was terrible. The next room's shower woke me up every morning at 6.30am. From the bedroom it made more noise than our own shower.
We didn't use the restaurant as this is very expensive for the area. The steaks were twice the price of the nearby restaurants. We went to Taylor's restaurant and brewery (with my wife and two kids) and had lovely food, great beer and an excellant view of the Pacific from the roof top area.

• Stayed: April 2005
3  Thank Richiewoodhouse
A TripAdvisor Member
Cincinnati,Ohio
Reviewed April 5, 2005

Great Hotel! The view from our room was fanastic. The room was clean and well maintained. The staff was very attentive and friendly. This stay was on a whim returning from a two week stay in Cabos San Lucas. My wife and I thought we would lay over in San Diego and explore. We certainly picked the right hotel. The Catamaran was located near everything we what to see and do. Great choice will certainly stay there again.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 1, 2005

The hotel was fantastic. The decor reminded me of Hawaii. I loved it. The room were spacious and clean. The staff was full of aloha, friendly and helpful. The Sunday brunch at the Atoll was a feast. I will return on my next visit to San Diego and will tell all my friends and family to be sure and stay there.

I loved it!!! Recommend this one to everyone!!

• Stayed: February 2005
5  Thank ritaoneill
Reviewed March 22, 2005

Stayed here for 5 days. We had a great time. We had a room facing the garden and pond in the 800 section. The room was large, with a table and chairs. The room was very clean, but expect your room to be cleaned late in the day (3-4 pm). The section we were in was only 2 stories. We were happy that we were not staying in the tower. The front desk staff was friendly as were the numerous staff in the resort. The hotel is in a great location- backing on Mission Bay which is very calm and relaxed and accross the street from the more vibrant Pacific Beach. There are lots of restaurants in the area. My biggest criticism is that the resort charges for parking ($9/day), and the rates are a little bit steep.

• Stayed: January 2005
6  Thank agac
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 16, 2005

I was very pleased with this hotel and would recommend it for families. We stayed for 5 days with our two kids, ages 9 and 4, and it was a great place for them. The room had a beautiful view of the Bay, and was clean and fairly spacious. I thought the waitstaff at the hotel restaurant were pleasant and accomodating of kid-friendly requests. The grounds are lovely and it was a pleasure just to walk around. It is extremely convenient to Sea World and has some nice little amenities, like printed directions to most major tourist sites from the hotel, free (to guests) cruises of the Bay on the Bahia Belle, and kayak/pedalboat/windsurf rentals on the beach right outside the hotel doors. Lots of little shops and places to eat within walking distance (terrific little burrito shack right around the corner that we would have walked right by were it not for a tip from hotel staff) and of course the ocean is just a block away. It was a low-key, hassle free visit. I would rate it excellent except that it was fairly expensive. Still, I feel we got what we paid for and that is worth a lot on vacation!

• Stayed: February 2005