This is the second time we have stayed at this resort, but the first time with the kids. I'm here to tell you that whether you're on a romantic getaway or with the whole family,this place is great. Yes, it's pricey, but you will not worry about too much when you see how convenient it is to so much!
First of all, it's right on Mission Bay. There is a nice boardwalk that goes all the way around the bay and farther. The condos and houses that line the bay are so cool to look at. Right off the beach in front of the hotel is a rental station for paddle boards, kayaks, and more. You can also charge it right to your room. They have a nice restaurant on the property that has a terrific patio that either sits in a courtyard or overlooks the beach. The fitness center is decent as well, with elipticals that overlook the bay!
The pool here is really nice, but beware the towel police! The kid that has you check in has to tell you about the return policy of the towels, which is $10 if you don't return them, is not a terrible policy, which by the way, they don't enforce. There is a bar, grill and arcade at the pool, and the arcade games are set up so you never have to pay!
The convenience to the ocean, which is 2 blocks away, as well as Sea World, which is a 7 minute drive, is terrific. When you park at the hotel, make sure you have a room key with you always to get in and out of the lot. This includes when you leave for good, because you have to waive down the valet to help if you leave all your keys behind. The hotel has a business center, which requires a special card access, so make sure you get one when you check in if you need to use the center. We got a suite which slept 6 comfortably with a bayside view, but the a/c in the rooms is not so great, which is why the property didn't get a 5 star rating.
The hotel is also home to several exotic birds that they have on display. They reside near the bayside view suites, which can be really, really loud! They go in for the night at sunset, but if you have a room here, and are looking for a quick nap...good luck.
Good times here, enjoy!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One of the few resorts on Mission Bay to not charge a resort fee! The Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa is a paradisiacal destination located on the shores of Mission Bay and mere steps from San Diego’s famous Pacific Beach. With features including lush tropical gardens and private beach, this Polynesian-themed hotel offers an ideal blend of fun and tranquility all year-round. Established in 1958, the Catamaran is a paradise featuring more than 1,000 varieties of exotic plants and animals from around the world. Palm trees, bamboo, waterfalls and koi ponds appeal to the senses, while playful parrots delight and intrigue guests. The Catamaran’s architecture, reminiscent of the traditional Colonial Hawaiian style, boasts accents including totem poles handcrafted in Bali, art pieces such as tapa cloth from Vanuatu and a beautiful front desk constructed of Black Koa wood imported directly from Tahiti. At the Catamaran, guests are checked into one of 310 guest rooms, studios or suites, each with a private balcony or patio that opens to stunning views of Mission Bay, the Pacific Beach neighborhood and coastline, or the hotel’s lush tropical gardens. All guests are provided a full range of amenities including complimentary Wi-Fi and 24-hour room service. On-site dining options include Oceana Coastal Kitchen, rated by Zagat as one of San Diego’s most anticipated restaurants of 2015 and featuring chef-driven surf and turf dishes. Next door to this signature restaurant is Moray’s, where guests can sip on a signature Moray’s Mai Tai, savor a local craft beer and enjoy daily happy hour specials. Both venues feature a blend of indoor and patio spaces, the latter lined with tiki torches, fire pit tables and lush palms. Guests may also choose to grab a bite poolside at the Catamaran’s full bar and grill which serves up barbecue favorites during the spring and summer months. Another standout summer special is the Catamaran’s signature luaus, featuring live performers that guide guests through the cultures of the South Pacific as they enjoy a Hawaiian buffet. Those who prefer to spend their time on the water can opt for a cruise on the Bahia Belle, a replica of an 1860s-era sternwheeler that tours around Mission Bay. Step back in time and enjoy a colorful sunset from the top deck, or kick up your heels as the vessel becomes a vibrant nightlife destination with live entertainment and a full-service bar. The Catamaran Spa—the only beachfront spa in San Diego—offers a South Pacific-inspired menu of treatments including massages, facials, body wraps, hydrotherapy treatments and more—carried out with all-natural marine and botanical elements. Additional wellness amenities include an outdoor pool and hot tub, beach cabanas, an open air fitness center, seasonal outdoor yoga classes and more. Further vacation activities include rental paddleboards, sailboats, kayaks, surfboards, bicycles and Segways. The Catamaran is also located within the beach towns Mission Beach and Pacific Beach, where guests can stroll the boardwalk or the iconic Crystal Pier, play at the beach or experience a variety of cafes and boutiques. The resort is also within 10 miles of major San Diego attractions such as SeaWorld, the San Diego Zoo, Balboa Park, Downtown’s Gaslamp District and the San Diego International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HotelsClick so you can book your Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catamaran Resort & Spa San Diego
- Catamaran Hotel Mission Bay
- Catamaran Resort San Diego
- Catamaran San Diego