“Definitely a resort”

Ranked #11 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
San Diego, CA
“Definitely a resort”
Reviewed July 15, 2008

I'm surprised by the recent comments I read about the Catamaran. We stayed for 2 nights in July and had a great time. The rooms were a little dated, but the furniture was ornate wood and the bed was comfortable. We paid a pretty hefty room rate for a ground floor bay front room, but it was a great location and the resort had so much to do that we felt like we almost got our money's worth. We loved stepping right out to the bay and the fact that the ocean was only a couple of blocks away. There are people walking by the resort all the time because of it's location on a sidewalk around the bay, but we had no problems with anyone. We loved the birds at the hotel and the grounds were beautiful. The Bahia Belle was fun to go on and we saw Sea World fireworks both nights. The torch lighting ceremony was cool and the resort always had something going on to keep us entertained. It felt like a tropical paradise. We have already been recommending it to friends.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelerforfun49

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,158)
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Phoenix
Reviewed July 12, 2008

We reserved a room at the Catamaran for 4 nights and we liked it so much we extended a night. Our room was the "Studio" room with a garden view. We were on the second floor facing a beautiful tropical garden and enjoyed watching the ducks and ducklings from our balcony. After reading another reviewers tip we requested to be on the side of the building that does not face the parking structure and the hotel was able to accommodate that request. The hotel has a lot of little extras on the property that the kids really liked including a free video arcade with newer games, mad science program and the exotic bird show was fantastic. You can ride the Bahia Bell for free and we loved the 9:00 cruise. It parked in the middle of the bay so we could enjoy the fireworks from Sea World. The beach in front of the hotel is a great place to play in the sand and down the way a bit there is a nice playground and beach to play on. The kids loved playing in the tree in the grass area just above the beach of the Catamaran and the Polynesian entertainment (hula dancers and torch spinner) was a nightly treat for us. This hotel really had a lot to offer not to mention the awesome location! Just 2 blocks from the beach and the best Lobster Bisque ever (little restaurant in Pacific Beach called World Famous). Sea World was just around the way...
We stayed Sunday-Friday and the hotel was consistently quiet from 11pm - 6 am... all other hours plan on some noise coming from either the ducks, other rooms, Sea World firework show or other guests walking the grounds. It was not excessive but if you are a light sleeper with a goal of sleeping in... that probably wont happen. The kids and hubby slept right through all of it though.

The only thing that was bad was having to pay to park in the hotels parking structure... just seems silly to me. I also wish the two beds were queens and a little less firm.

Also the customer service here was way above average... This stay was way better than we expected!!!

• Liked — Location and Hotel Extras
  • Disliked — Paying to park and small beds
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank iamjawd
Penna.
Reviewed June 23, 2008

All I'm going to say to my fellow Tripadvisors is this: stay somewhere else. After a wonderful two week trip with family touring California and Hawaii on the Big Island, we had the most horrible room for what they call a first floor bayfront suite. We are sick because of the money we paid out for two suites. If you like the smell of mold and urine and no airconditioning in the "bedroom" than this is your place. It's very old and they are trying to disguise the rooms with little upgrades i.e. coffee pot, flat screen t.v. but little else. Unfortunately, I used tripadvisor comments some time ago to book this place for our grandchildren. People saying "great for the kids" and on the bay and "pool is great "and a half block from beach and on & on. This is one time it misfired for me on tripadvisor and I love tripadvisor.
Also, the area wasn't so great at least at night. Alot of strange people walking the streets and also at the hotel! I ended up checking out only after one night (a very expensive night) and went to Lowes on Coronado, which was great and half the price of the "bayfront first floor suite". We travel quite alot and I really regret booking this place. So be warned.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank travelandgo
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed June 10, 2008

Do not stay here! The worst experience I have ever had. The spa and restaurant are nice, but you can stay across the street at the Best Western and still visit the spa and restauarant and have a clean room and better service and if you leave items in the room they will be returned to you, unlike this hotel. The sheets were dirty. They do not know the meaning of the word hospitality or accomodate. We booked our reservation six months ago to attend a family members wedding, requesting specific room next to elderly parents. The hotel had clearly already booked my parents room and I had to move after one day. In my haste I left several items in the room (cell phone charger, bottle of wine, clothing) . When I requested four times through the front desk and housekeeping to please return my items they repeatedly told me that they checked the room and the items were missing. I finally got the manager to enter the room and of course they found the cell phone charger in the exact same spot I left it. They never apologized for the inconvenience of moving us significantly further from the lobby which made it very difficult for my parents. The manager then offered to let us check out late as we had a red-eye flight. He told me to name the time. The next day when I checked out slightly later than the time I had suggested, the supervisor told me I would have to pay an additional night. When I got upset, he called security! Who does that? I am a 51 year old mother of three. I askd him to please verify through the manager that I should not have to pay an additional night which he finally did. I still have not received the clothing I left in the room. They say the items are not there. I have stayed in hotels all over the world, some stays are better than others, but nothing was even remotely as bad as this. I am generally quite laid back about my hotel experiences. You could not pay me to step foot in this place.

• Liked — The only thing I iked was the location
  • Disliked — Everything,!....dirty room, arrogant staff etc.
  • Stayed June 2008
5 Thank SierraLady
uk
Reviewed June 10, 2008

stayed at the catamaran for 1 night as part of our honeymoon. Stayed in the a tower suite with nice views over the bay. Large rooms with lounge and kitchenand two balconies, Flat screen tv`s in the room also.The bed was very firm and not to my liking. Decor of the room was average and could do with a refurb.The gardens were very impressive.We went to the restaurant for breakfast and were promptly seated,but we then waited 20 minutes for the staff to come and take our order,but nobody came ,so we got up and went elsewhere. free internet access and bahia bay boat ride were good. probably would not stay here again though for the price.

• Liked — view from room,free internet
  • Disliked — service, slightly tatty
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank martin1982
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed June 1, 2008

Searched high and low for a hotel in San Diego and decided on the Catamaran, due to it's location and the reviews on Trip Advisor. We were promptly and courteously checked in and given a room in the Tower on the 12th floor. The room was right next to the elevator, which I thought would be a problem, but as long as we kept the closet door and bathroom door closed, the noise was minimal. Beware though that the room next to the elevator tends to shake a bit. The room was a bit shabby. We had just come from The Resort At Squaw Creek, where the rooms are pretty amazing, so to walk in to this room, which was large for sure, was a bit disappointing. We were given a room with a small kitchen, which was a nice bonus, but the cupboards were pretty beat up and the utensil supply was minimal. The coffee makers are very small, as are the coffee cups.
The room was decorated with a pseudo Polynesian theme. The view was pretty darn amazing, and we were afforded two good size balconies with this room. I have to agree with a previous reviewers thoughts on the bed covers, as they were abnormally heavy. A huge walk in closet was nice. If they spent some dough redoing these rooms, they would be pretty amazing. We went down to visit some friends staying at Lowes Coronado and were very impressed with the conditions of the rooms down there.
The resort was a great place for our two kids, ages 7 and 11. The arcade room, where all the games are free (much to dad's delight) was a great place for them to go hang out in. The pool was nice, very well maintained. I think if we ever stayed there again, which is unlikely, we would book a room on the ground floor, maybe one that butts up to the bay. Those rooms, with their easy access to grassy areas and the bay, look to be a bit more kid friendly.
The staff was always cheerful. We did not eat at the restaurant, seemed a bit stuffy. Never had a problem parking. All in all, an ok place for our first trip to San Diego. After driving around the city and exploring new neighborhoods, we think we may try Coronado next time. Mission Beach is a bit too young for us old fogies.

• Liked — location, family friendly activities
  • Disliked — room conditions
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank Azabu2000
Los Angeles
Reviewed May 27, 2008

The Catamaran is definitely "kid friendly" and since we were there with a kid, the several days we spent there were OK.
It must be a challange to keep a "resort" hotel in satifactory functioning condition when 2 year olds amuse themselves by opening and closing the screen door to the balcony as our grandson did. The staff does seems to stay on top of this effort. The pool and hot tub area was well-maintained, as were the grounds and the beach generally. There are "amusements" for the kids - parrots, swans and ducks. There's a paved walkway along the beach for strollers and joggers. The restaurant welcomed small kids with their Cheerios and the staff was friendly, very courteous and prompt in service. I give them high marks.
Our rooms, however, were somewhat worn and dark. The bed cover was very physically heavy, ponderously so. This is not a luxury establishment, a bit shabby not chic.
I thought it was rather expensive for the value but since I didn't make the reservation, I didn't compare rates. It was quite satisfactory to be sure.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family