“My second stay...”

Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa
Ranked #16 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Love this resort! The property is beautiful, location perfect, staff awesome. Can't wait to go back. Rooms aren't overly fancy, but nice with great balconies...I'll be back soon. I luv luv luv San Diego!!!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa

Reviewed July 3, 2013

San Diego Magazine had our sales retreat in the penthouse of the Catamaran Resort & Spa. We had such a wonderful day. We had the best view in town, watching the sail boats and kayaks play in the bay. The staff at the Catamaran (including Taylor Nassar) took such great care of us. We had the healthy breakfast which was a delicious spread that we all enjoyed throughout the morning. For lunch they prepared delicious boxed lunches for us that we took down onto the grass and enjoyed under the palm trees. We had the perfect day with productive meeting time and a lot of fun. We ended the day with stand up paddle boarding. We all felt very spoiled and loved the opportunity to be out of the office spending it on their beautiful property!

I actually had such a great time, I returned within a week with my sister and kids. A great way to feel like you're on vacation in our own backyard. We paddle boarded and had lunch outside by the bay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 2, 2013

The room: 9th floor of the tower, deluxe with king, decent size for two people, lighting wasn’t great in the room, noisy a/c. Balcony had a great view of the ocean and the hills.

Resort grounds: Absolutely beautiful! The bay was nice and clean. The birds, ducks and fish were beautiful, plenty of things to see and explore. Nice pool & spa.

The location: close to plenty of stores and restaurants, a block away from the beach. This is probably the only thing that made it worthwhile, this is what you are paying for.

Key card didn’t work a couple of times so I had to take it to the front desk and have them make it accessible, but it didn’t work either time. The front lobby staff wasn’t overly nice, not like I have read in other reviews, housekeeping didn’t arrive until 3:00, elevators are small and extremely slow.

I emailed their sales person a week ago but have not received a reply yet.

Overall, I was really disappointed in the room. It was not worth $570 for two nights. This is a great place to visit, even to just explore the grounds. Bay is open to the public. Probably won’t be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AZ G
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Had a quick stopover here while on a tour of California. Great place! The bay view room was awesome. THe night lfe was also excellent! Lawrence (the concierge) was a highlight - he's a great guy and nothing is too much trouble for him! Really enjoyed our stay and would be very happy to go back again if we visit California in future.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights at the end of out 2 week honeymoon. On arrival after driving from LA we were pleased to find we could check in earlier then advertised. However once we got to our room we found we had 2 single beds, we returned to reception to explain this was our honeymoon and asked for a room with a double bed, we were told they could do this but only by basically downgrading us so we would have a view of the car park only and no self catering facilities! Needless to say we kept our single beds, kitchen and view of the bay. The hotel rooms are dated but were clean and spacious, though the air con unit was extremely noisy and had to be turned off at night in order to sleep. The reception area and grounds are lovely, the pool was quite busy with children but nice. The hotel location couldn't be better. The hotel bar was nice with a good cocktail menu but come the weekend was very busy and noisy with large groups. There is a nearby restaurant called World Famous that is worth visiting for breakfast/lunch/dinner/cocktails, food there was amazing! When we came to check out of the hotel we were disappointed they wouldn't do a late check out as we didnt fly until 9pm and advised we could pay to use the gym facility's if we wished to have a shower or just the one outside next to the pool. We would consider returning here but mostly for its location, I was overall slightly disappointed after having read some really good reviews prior to going.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hey86
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I flew into San Diego early on Monday, they had upgraded us to a top floor king suite which was awesome! Honestly I love the location and the birds, tropical plants/flowers, the vibe of the room and the staff at the front desk! I disliked that they didn't have a designated swim time for adults only (couples with no kids can understand the need for relaxation and quiet without having children running and jumping into the jacuzzi) the blonde waitresses working breakfast were slow and rude since we had free breakfast coupons they didn't even bother with us, people with families used up the chairs that sit out at the bay by putting them out for their kids and using the towels as chair keepers but hey we all know kids love sitting in chairs, right?! The front desk staff were really nice and sent up a cheese and wine platter to our room for our anniversary and always asked how our stay was going. The bicycle shop across the lobby was nice also but it felt like I was signing my life away with all the rules and payment agreements. Overall I think I will return but in an off season where the room rates will go down and I can get a room with a bay view. The price was a little steep for us but we enjoyed the resort enough for it to not be an issue. I just hope they get the rooms cleaned up (furniture, bed linens, towels, curtains, and use some better shampoo and conditioner) before we go again because this is a nice place to stay but for the rate people are paying they want to see more quality products.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank alexandreaJG
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I loved the location perfect for walking to beach and dining, the grounds are beautiful, yes the rooms could use a remodel, but our room was clean, There is a nice bay area to sit, with beach chairs, and activities, This is where the problem was, we, me and my two daughters rented a sun fun small motorized boat for $40.00 and hour, the boat would not go forward only backwards and to the right or left by the time we realized it wasnt something we where not doing wrong we where in the middle of the bay, trying to get back to shore, we had to do this backwards, dodging sailboats and paddleboards, the guy at the dock saw us when we where 20 feet from shore and brought us a new boat, by then we where spent just trying to get back to shore so we just went in, When i checked out the next day and told then how awful it was, There answer, we have nothing to do with the water sports you have to talk to them, Really its on my bills so it dose have to do with you. NO HELP AT ALL!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family