“Nice place, great location beautiful property, but....”

Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa
Ranked #14 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I loved the location perfect for walking to beach and dining, the grounds are beautiful, yes the rooms could use a remodel, but our room was clean, There is a nice bay area to sit, with beach chairs, and activities, This is where the problem was, we, me and my two daughters rented a sun fun small motorized boat for $40.00 and hour, the boat would not go forward only backwards and to the right or left by the time we realized it wasnt something we where not doing wrong we where in the middle of the bay, trying to get back to shore, we had to do this backwards, dodging sailboats and paddleboards, the guy at the dock saw us when we where 20 feet from shore and brought us a new boat, by then we where spent just trying to get back to shore so we just went in, When i checked out the next day and told then how awful it was, There answer, we have nothing to do with the water sports you have to talk to them, Really its on my bills so it dose have to do with you. NO HELP AT ALL!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Renee M
Write a ReviewReviews (4,162)

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We got hit with a F5 tornado that basically wiped out everything we do on a daily basis with a wedding in two weeks. We thought about cancelling the wedding and trip multiple times. I'm glad we didn't. Everyone at the hotel, and around it were great. Very friendly, and extremely helpful. It was nice to escape from what was probably the toughest two weeks of our lives to experience such a great place. We will be back multiple times for sure. They gave us a room with a bay view, a care package for us "newlyweds", and recommended great places to eat, and go for fun. All with a smile, and no smirks. I'm well traveled, but this is right up there for great trips.

Room Tip: Get a bay room view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aaron C
Reviewed June 24, 2013

It's time for a refresh of the rooms. The grounds are beautiful but the rooms are not. My bathroom was filthy and the black-out curtains had holes in them, The carpet is worn and the furniture is old. Do not eat in the Atoll restaurant - service is terrible and the breakfast is mediocre at best. With so much restaurant competition in Mission Beach, you'd think they would up their game.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank VAtraveler1953
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I just want to say that we had a GREAT time on the patio of the Catamaran Restaurant overlooking the bay in celebration of my Birthday. Brian the manager of the restaurant/Bar totally did EVERYTHING in his power to serve and accommodate our party of 28 people... top notch! Amazing service! the speakers on that side of the patio were not working and I said to Brian..."I don't care if you bring an alarm clock from one of the rooms so we can have some music" and guess what? he did bring one : ) one of my friends put their Ipod on it and we had music!!! now that's good service for you! he went far and beyond out of his way! Thanks again Brian and Catamaran crew!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My Wife and I have been coming to the Catamaran since February of 2012 . As I will tell anyone who will listen, this is "Hawaii without the Air Fare". Both of us have stressful jobs and we just like to get away from it all for a couple of days. The Staff has always been more than helpful and is always cheerful. The Grounds are beautifully maintained. The Ducks are a welcome asset as well as the Exotic Birds.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed here last week as my husband had a conference at this hotel. The one thing that struck me the most was the location. Parking can get expensive in San Diego
(up to $40 a night for some other hotels) , so being at walking distance from restaurants, the Mission Bay and Mission beach did not require us to book a rental car. The front desk staff and concierge were very helpful. Initially we had reserved a standard room near the parking lot. We were not too happy with the view (or the lack of it thereof) so we asked us for an upgrade. They offered us a bay facing room the very next day and charged us only 50% of the regular cost for upgrade. We loved the view from our new room as we could practically walk out to the calm waters and a great atmosphere of kids, family, water sports etc. Although the hotels rooms had a dated look, houeskeeping ensured the rooms were orderly and clean.

They have a bird show and several ducks, fishes in their little botanical garden. Great place to take pictures and relax when you are checking into the hotel.

You can practically take a boardwalk to some awesome restaurants (The Mission restaurant on San Jose Pl was our favourite for brunch). Some recommendations for dinning inlude Joe's Crab shack, World Famous (their Harpoon Combination is to die or), Fat Cat (great Lobster bisque) and Naraya (Thai cuisne).

I would definitely return to this resort! Highly recommend it for a family vacation.

The resort offeres a compliemntary ride aboard their Bahia Belle. It was fun dancing to Michael Jackson's tunes during our 1 hr ride. They have a bar on board as well.
I also worked out twice at the resort's fitness center. I am not to crazy about the spa so I skipped that one. We had breakfast once at Murray's (one of the resorts 2 restaurants). It was fine but the service was a tad bit slow.

All in all a great experience. I would defunitely recommended this for family and business.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ftjin
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Island paradise close to home. As local San Diegans my husband and I had never stayed at the Catamaran but wanted an Hawaiian/Island feel for our wedding so we checked out the Catamaran and are so happy we did. We had a wedding on the south lawn with reception for 75 people. The staff, especially Amber, made our plans a wonderful reality. The attention to detail, help with the ceremony/reception set up and walk through of the wedding rehearsal were ideal for the DIY wedding we had. Our wedding was spectacular with the waterfall and tropical scenery perfect for all the photo ops. I had friends who saw the pics think we flew to Hawaii for our wedding. We got tons of compliments on the delicious buffet with island luau chicken, prime rib and sea bass. Edelweiss Bakery was great to work with through the Catamaran and we got a beautiful wedding cake customized for us included in the package. Room was spacious with full fridge perfect and kitchenette. We loved our stay, only wish the wedding and the weekend could last longer.

Room Tip: Rooms in the tower had the best views and as long as you aren't by the elevator, pretty quiet ro...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends