The location of this property is incredible. The property is beautiful. The grounds are unique with a jungle atmosphere. The exotic bird room was a nice photo opportunity. We enjoyed breakfast at the Atoll Restaurant. (Not the brunch on Sunday as we could not get reservations). And Moray's bar in the afternoon and evening. There were fire pits to sit around at night that brought a nice ambience to the outdoor bar area. The waitstaff at both locations were friendly.
Our room was in the tower. 2 queen beds that were very comfortable. A small kitchen area and small bathroom. We were able to walk right into our room as it would not lock or dead bolt. A call to the front desk did solve that very quickly. Unfortunately, the sliding door to the closet was off track (unable to use room safe) and the shower curtain was very stained with...not sure what...3 requests were made at the front desk on Friday May 17th. I thought, considering the room charges it was a simple request to change out a disgusting stained shower curtain. But, the curtain stayed for the whole weekend.
We also rode the Sternwheeler. A guest at the hotel gets free tickets. The tickets state dancing, entertainment and beverages. There is mention of family hours. What this actually means is the fun does not start until after 10pm when the boat becomes an over 21 bar. My 12 year old daughter was really looking forward to some dj music and a sprite. Instead she wasn't allowed on the 2nd floor so we drank over-priced drinks on the top deck in silence because the music does not start until 10. It was just a little disappointing.
Pool area is small and frequently without towels. Very overcrowded on Saturday. No chairs available and people were marking with towels but never using.
When I return to San Diego I will check out other hotels first before I would stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One of the few resorts on Mission Bay to not charge a resort fee! The Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa is a paradisiacal destination located on the shores of Mission Bay and mere steps from San Diego’s famous Pacific Beach. With features including lush tropical gardens and private beach, this Polynesian-themed hotel offers an ideal blend of fun and tranquility all year-round. Established in 1958, the Catamaran is a paradise featuring more than 1,000 varieties of exotic plants and animals from around the world. Palm trees, bamboo, waterfalls and koi ponds appeal to the senses, while playful parrots delight and intrigue guests. The Catamaran’s architecture, reminiscent of the traditional Colonial Hawaiian style, boasts accents including totem poles handcrafted in Bali, art pieces such as tapa cloth from Vanuatu and a beautiful front desk constructed of Black Koa wood imported directly from Tahiti. At the Catamaran, guests are checked into one of 310 guest rooms, studios or suites, each with a private balcony or patio that opens to stunning views of Mission Bay, the Pacific Beach neighborhood and coastline, or the hotel’s lush tropical gardens. All guests are provided a full range of amenities including complimentary Wi-Fi and 24-hour room service. On-site dining options include Oceana Coastal Kitchen, rated by Zagat as one of San Diego’s most anticipated restaurants of 2015 and featuring chef-driven surf and turf dishes. Next door to this signature restaurant is Moray’s, where guests can sip on a signature Moray’s Mai Tai, savor a local craft beer and enjoy daily happy hour specials. Both venues feature a blend of indoor and patio spaces, the latter lined with tiki torches, fire pit tables and lush palms. Guests may also choose to grab a bite poolside at the Catamaran’s full bar and grill which serves up barbecue favorites during the spring and summer months. Another standout summer special is the Catamaran’s signature luaus, featuring live performers that guide guests through the cultures of the South Pacific as they enjoy a Hawaiian buffet. Those who prefer to spend their time on the water can opt for a cruise on the Bahia Belle, a replica of an 1860s-era sternwheeler that tours around Mission Bay. Step back in time and enjoy a colorful sunset from the top deck, or kick up your heels as the vessel becomes a vibrant nightlife destination with live entertainment and a full-service bar. The Catamaran Spa—the only beachfront spa in San Diego—offers a South Pacific-inspired menu of treatments including massages, facials, body wraps, hydrotherapy treatments and more—carried out with all-natural marine and botanical elements. Additional wellness amenities include an outdoor pool and hot tub, beach cabanas, an open air fitness center, seasonal outdoor yoga classes and more. Further vacation activities include rental paddleboards, sailboats, kayaks, surfboards, bicycles and Segways. The Catamaran is also located within the beach towns Mission Beach and Pacific Beach, where guests can stroll the boardwalk or the iconic Crystal Pier, play at the beach or experience a variety of cafes and boutiques. The resort is also within 10 miles of major San Diego attractions such as SeaWorld, the San Diego Zoo, Balboa Park, Downtown’s Gaslamp District and the San Diego International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catamaran Hotel Mission Bay
- Catamaran Resort & Spa San Diego
- Catamaran Resort San Diego
- Catamaran San Diego