“Hotel is at a great location”

Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa
Ranked #14 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The hotel is within walking distance to many restaurants and great places to Hang out. It's great for families with children. It offers great access to the bay. Wonderful if you have little ones. There are no waves to knock them down. The bayside crowed is more relaxed than the ocean front side. The food is great, a bit pricey considering all the other choices you are surrounded by.

• Stayed: July 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (4,123)

Reviewed March 7, 2013

I stayed at this resort for the first time while attending a yoga conference, which almost filled the hotel. We were upgraded to a suite at no extra cost in the tower. The service was excellent and friendly, the grounds are quite beautiful, the location cannot be beat - on mission bay, and a walk across the street one block takes you to the ocean side. Ten minutes from San Diego airport and about the same to downtown San Diego. Biking distance to La Jolla. The restaurant, bar area, and beach were all beautiful and well maintained. There was also plenty of space in the room and the kitchenette was fully stocked. An extra is the duck pond and jungle walk through the grounds, along with the tropical birds who love to chat with you. Overall, it was an excellent value and I would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Rooms on the odd number side of the tower have the best views.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 7, 2013

This hotel was booked by my husbands employer for a 3 day conference. The first thing I noticed was the friendliness of the staff just passing by. The grounds are beautiful. However, the first thing I noticed about my room was there was an adjourning door between the bedrooms, not near the front as in most hotels. The reason is I could hear the lady in the next room talking. I went to put my water in the refrigerator but there was nine. The website said there was one. Then there's the arrangement of the room, very difficult to watch tv while in bed as its to the side of the bed. The next morning off to breakfast. The food is very good but extremely costly. The service by, wait he didn't introduce himself. He only returned after I had finished my $12 chilaquiles. Then left the bill and didn't return. So I am not a light sleeper but in my room 361 n the tower we must be next to a machine room. There are noises at all times of the night that are a bit startling. Then there is the morning jackhammers, a.k.a. thumping of the showers from next door and various floors. Evidently the hot water causes the pipes to rattle. Then last night one of the ducks must have been in the mood for love under the moonlight as he wouldn't stop quacking. I guess I should've have said something early to the front desk but I'm not paying for this room otherwise I would have. One of the best parts for me was Chadwick, the cockatiel. He had me from hello. Be sure to visit the parrots so beautiful. I would stay here again but never in the tower. This was not a place to relax!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 6, 2013

This was not the first time we have been to the Catamaran. We return because the setting is wonderful, the staff friendly and accommodating and the rates reasonable for the value received. Several times we have had our young grandchildren with us and it is a pleasure to enjoy the beautiful beach on the bay without worrying about waves and undertow. Outstanding!

Room Tip: The views toward Mission Bay have spectacular views of the beach, the bay and, in the distance, down...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 6, 2013

My husband & I are born and raised locals. Our favorite place to stay and get away in town is the Catamaran. Great location, staff is incredible friendly and accomodating, beautiful views, LOVE the brunch. Cant wait until our next stay. Thanks to the Cat for all you do to earn our business!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We and all of our wedding guests stayed at the Catamaran for our wedding. We had a blast! We loved going to brunch, the bar, the watersport rental and the Bahia Belle. Our bridal suite was right on the bay and was the most beautiful view to wake up to in the morning! We had a great stay and would recommend it to anyone needing a stay-cation or someone visiting--you will definitely feel like you're on vacation!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My wife and I arrived Feb 13th to attend a wedding planned for the weekend. The Catamaran was provided to us as the resort hotel of choice. The front desk gave us a room in the tower on the top floor. When we got to the room we noticed a couple of things. The view was outstanding, but the tower's age was apparent. The carpet had shown its years and the sliding glass doors were loose enough that the chilly air was coming in; plus the noise of traffic. We couldn't see staying in this room for a week. We returned to the front desk and explained the situation. The front desk rep went to work and got us a suite on the ground floor facing the bay. Pricing stayed the same. We were thrilled with this alternative; and appreciate the action taken by the front desk to address a customer's needs. This change made our 1 week stay an outstanding experience.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends