“Enjoyable”

Ranked #15 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Pleasant Hill, California
“Enjoyable”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Beautiful location, nice staff, prompt service. Even though you can tell that this hotel is older and the rooms are a little dated, who cares? You don't spend a great deal of time in your room, so it was more of an observation than anything. No problems with reservations, was there for a conference and got upgraded to a mini suite with a Kitchen. I'd go back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,170)
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
San Bruno, California
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I was so impressed by the welcoming and helful staff beginning at front desk with check-in to everyone else encountered during my stay. The grounds and views are beautiful and so is the staff! I was immediately checked in even though I was several hours early but when my room turned out to have a small glitch with a door, instead of having me wait while it was fixed, I was immediately upgraded to another room, and a complimentary fruit and cheese tray was later sent to my room. All was very much appreciated! The swimming pool and hot tub are wonderful even in Jan. I am looking forward to returning to San Diego and the wonderful employees of this wonderful resort.

Room Tip: In my experience, the higher floors have the best views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 31, 2013

This place is awesome. You can walk to anything fun and the place is beautiful. You feel like you staying at an island. The room was like an apartment if San Diego wasn't so beautiful we could of stayed in the beautiful room. No complaints! :)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Wales
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We arrived too early for our room and stored our luggage and had a look around and were pleasantly surprised! The resort is very nice and well kept with a really lovely reception area with a pool with colourful fish and a waterfall! The reception staff were all very pleasant and helpful gave us a good deal to upgrade our room. We opted for a room in the tower on the 9th floor facing the bay and the view was spectacular; the room itself was very spacious with a small kitchenette with cooker, microwave, toaster, large fridge and plenty of cupboard space. There were bath robes supplied and the usual toiletries and a nice vanity unit separate from the bathroom with a place to sit and a good hairdryer. There was a sofa and a small table and 2 chairs and a lovely large bed, there were various lamps which gave the room a nice warm glow in the evenings. The balcony had 2 chairs and a small footstool and table and was a real sun trap even in January! Having read previous reviews about the state of some of the rooms, we were pleasantly surprised as our room was nicely decorated and very clean. We enjoyed having our breakfast on the balcony watching the cyclists and joggers going by on the bayside path which seemed to go on forever! Whilst we were there the hotel was hosts to several days of company 'team building' exercises and we had the pleasure of sharing the hotel bar with one company and were treated to a drink as they felt they had invaded our peace although we had enjoyed the atmosphere they had created...and the glass of wine they bought us! Bar staff pleasant and efficient too. We enjoyed the hot tub, which was really a 'hot tub' and it was lovely relaxing in the water when the air was cool, pool towels were supplied.
We hired cycles for 2 days and cycled the length of the bayside path which was really easy and pleasant, the price to hire the bikes was a lot cheaper the further away you went from the hotel and we were able to store them in the lobby of the tower block overnight. We found a very popular place to eat opposite the hotel on the ocean front by the Best Western Hotel, it was called 'New World' the food was fab and it was full every night, we went straight to the bar area and had the appetisers and it saved you having to que for a table in the restaurant area and they had a 'specials' night when food was half price at the bar!
The Catamaran is not close to downtown San Diego and a taxi can be very expensive, although there is enough shops and restaurants and supermarket near the hotel. We caught a bus not far from the hotel to 'Old Town' with an all day ticket for 7 dollars each, a pleasant place to walk and nice places to eat, then onto Downtown which is very vibrant, we took a walk along the waterfront which was pleasant.

All in all our 4 days in San Diego were lovely, the Catamaran was a excellent place for us to stay with beautiful views and pleasant people and nice atmosphere, we would definitely return!

Room Tip: The tower has fantastic views, go for the bay view and high up!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Harleysville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 29, 2013

You can't beat the location of this hotel! It is on Mission Bay and a block or 2 from the ocean! The setting is lovely with gardens and koi ponds throughout the facility. The restaurant had very good food and the service in the dining room, as well as the front desk, was exceptional. My only disappointment was the bartenders were obviously instructed to make a drink with a measured shot; a little stingy if you ask me. Can't wait to go back, though.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for bay view...it's worth it!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
North Shore City, New Zealand
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Although I grew up in San Diego this was my first stay at the Catamaran. From the time I checked in I was made to feel at home. I was upgraded to a ocean/bay front unit that was awesome to say the least.
As for location you can not ask for better. Right on Mission Bay and Pacific Beach is right across the street. Plenty of things to do and enjoy within walking distance. Crystal Pier is just a couple of blocks aways. Garnet is where the nightlife is at.Try Kono's for breakfast.
Thank You Catamaran I hope to stay again soon.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Bay side are the ones to get.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I came for a conference located in the hotel.

Awesome location. Let's start with that. 1 block to beach. Just cross Mission Bay Drive and ur there. Pretty good views. I think you can see some part of the Ocean wherever you are.

Hotel and rooms are quite old and could use some work. I didn't feel like they were dirty though. And I am pretty picky.

Guest services was great. Housekeeping kind pleasant and wonderful. They were also receptive to my requests.

Friends ate at the restaurant and liked it. I had a drink at the outdoor bar. It was FREEZING in SD when we went but they had a little fire outside at each table and it was warm.

The bed was very comfortable. Room was quiet.

Parking - self is actually better and easier than valet if you stay in the tower. I did the self-parking.

Friends used the fitness center. They liked it. I didn't see it.

Ralphs and CVS nearby should you need anything.

Overall, I'd stay again for the conference. Can't really say much bad. Just know it's not luxury and not updated but had everything I needed. For the price, I think everything was right.

Room Tip: Higher up better views
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business