“An excellent 3 star hotel”

Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa
Ranked #16 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed March 12, 2012

This hotel reminds me that you can't compare apples with pears. You can't compare a 5 star hotel like the Ritz Carlton at Kapalua with the Catamaran resort. Not the same category. But a 3 star category hotel can be very good. The location is very nice, and my room has a lovely view of the bay.

It just happened that the conference my daughter is attending is being held at this hotel. I'd rather be in a 5 start, deluxe hotel but you choose the conference, not the hotel.

The prices for a 3 star hotel should be right for the location and the season. Unfortunately, it is spring break, so the prices are not that low and there is too much noise for my liking, but that's not the hotel's fault.

In short, I'd rather be at the Del, but the Catamaran is a nice hotel for its class.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. I didn't.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank janelitamirta

Reviewed March 12, 2012

The facilities were excellent. Very quiet rooms. Exceptionally clean, especially the rugs! Self parking lot (room key required for enterance AND exit helped with security) was very convenient and close to the elevators. It was fantastic having a refrigerator, microwave, sink and OVEN in the room. Made our 5 day stay super flexible for meals. Excellent hotel food while also having many close by restaurants within 5-10 minute walk or drive. The grounds as spotless and having the facility right on misson bay was great as well a a five minute walk across the street to the ocean. The family would certainly come back to this facility.
Bob M

Room Tip: Higher "Towers" floors have nice views of Ocean and Bay.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bob M
Reviewed March 10, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Catamaran very much. Place is well kept, the staff was very helpful with everything that we needed, including rental car and coupons for nearby restaurants. We can't wait to go back! We didn't take the kids, but it is a family friendly hotel as well. I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2012

The grounds were beautiful.. People very friendly.. we loved this place and would highly recommend.. Although a bit pricey.. The
rooms could use some updating..

Room Tip: The tower rooms toward the water, had a gorgeous view..
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 4, 2012

This hotel is beautiful with a tropical feel. The location is amazing, next to the inlet and across from the beach. The rooms are not 100% updated but nice. The staff is friendly and accomodating. I do feel it is a little pricey...Rooms aren't that nice and you have to pay for parking.
Pros-
parking fees

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank nerual
Reviewed March 4, 2012

This was our third stay at the "Cat" over a ten-year period. Perhaps the best feature is the location, with Mission Bay behind and Pacific Beach across the street. We opted for a pool-view room and enjoyed the convenience it offered. The atmosphere was so pleasant on the wide upper deck I preferred spending time there instead of the room. The rooms are a bit dated but comfortable and clean, nicely decorated and reasonably roomy. I love the Cat for it's authentic south-Pacific feel and everything that goes with it. The Friday luau is a great time, watercraft and bicycle rentals are conveniently close and the steamboat ride is fun (especially the fireworks tour). When I enter the lobby with it's lush waterfall I can feel the stress of everyday life wash away. It is now a familiar home away from home. One improvement I'd like would be a quick-food option for convenience and budget. However, the restaurant is a great upscale option if time and money are no concern. Parking is an exercise in patience at times but maybe inevitable given the location and popularity with visitors and conferees. People who aren't particularly enthralled with a Polynesian environment might not appreciate the Cat and prefer a more modern premium resort instead. But for me and family, it's always a refreshing pleasure to look forward to.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank TomFromTucson
Reviewed March 2, 2012

We stayed for 7 days in the tower on the 10th floor. What a great view, very nice room. Loved the floor to ceiling windows, excellent staff, wonderful tropical grounds, great food in the restaurant... but what ruined our vacation was the morning of our check out, we were late for our flight so we were in a hurry. Caught our plane, upon landing at Sea/Tac airport that's when I realized I forgot to empty out the top 2 drawers in our room. I Called housekeeping at about 6 pm, and told about the items I left behind. She said her staff of 2 found some clothing and a camera. What wasn't recovered was a wood grained cigar box full of all my jewelry worth over $2000. I am totally devastated and sick about this! I sure learned a hard lesson.

Room Tip: Choose a tower room facing the Bay. The other side is very noisy.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple