“Best hotel I have ever stayed in, anywhere.”

Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina
Ranked #20 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed March 5, 2010

First, the location is phenomenal, right near everything, including the airport and car rental services, but on a dead end street at the end of a spit so the traffic is minimal. The hotel setting is wonderful, with fantastic views of the bay on one side, the marina on the other. There is a nice bay front park and walkway across from the hotel for picnics and viewing the San Diego skyline. Quiet at night (except the occasional military air craft-it is San Diego after all), and not too busy during the day.

The hotel itself is kept immaculately clean, as are the rooms, and has a lot of charm. The only hotel on Shelter Island to offer free parking. The pool and hot tub were clean, fun, and easily accessible from our room via a sidewalk and key entry gate. Our rooms were doubles, which were very tastefully decorated, comfortable beds and pillows, wide screen LCD tv, hidden refrigerator in the dresser, and the nicest bathroom of any place I have ever stayed (the extend-able lighted make up mirror was so useful, I'm looking to buy one for my home bathroom).

The staff are one of the biggest assets of this hotel: Danny a the front desk managed to get us checked in over 4 hours early, and one of the other gentlemen, who's name I have unfortunately forgotten (but its the nice man with the cool British accent), took the time to print out our boarding passes for our flight home at the front desk! Friendly, knowledgeable, courteous professionals at all levels.

If you are going to San Diego for business or pleasure, this is the place to stay. I have no idea why this hotel doesn't have at least a 4 star rating, if not higher, it deserves it!

Oh yes, complimentary cute semi-domesticated ducks will great you in the parking lot upon arrival! Love this hotel, and I wish I were back in sunny San Diego again right now.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank SJtravelerMN

Reviewed March 4, 2010

After a few minutes delay in booking in (didn't get the confirmation from Octopus!!), I was compensated by an upgrade to a fab room in the new block, Casa Marina. With a balcony overlooking the bay, it was a lovely clean, comfortable room. Friendly maid service every day, and coffee maker, decent hairdryer and fridge, made my stay very comfortable. Bit chilly at this time of year, and extra blanket supplied within 5 minutes of asking for it. Met my family there and used one of the 2 pool areas a couple of times, again nice and clean and well serviced. Ate in the hotel restaraunt a couple of times and found good, reasonably priced food. All in all, very pleased with the hotel and could find nothing to complain about, and believe me I am very fussy!!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel
1  Thank cal60Uk
Reviewed March 2, 2010

I was really impressed by this place. This isn’t your typical hotel because all the rooms are spread out over a few different buildings. This might seem like an inconvenience, but it actually adds to the “resort” feel of it.

My boyfriend and I arrived before the check-in time and they didn’t have a room available, so they asked us to come back later. This wasn’t a problem because we were starving for lunch. We came back a couple hours later and our room was still unavailable. The man at the front desk apologized and upgraded our room for free! We got a view of the water and yachts. Plus, since our room was in the corner of the building, we had large windows on two walls. No free breakfast here, but the location is great and there are tons of nearby restaurants/eateries. Considering location, room quality and service, the price of this place is unbeatable. I will be staying here whenever I’m in San Diego again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jessel02
Reviewed March 1, 2010

The staff was very friendly and the views were fabulous. The only hotel on Shelter Island to offer free parking. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the pools were great. New bar on site and a great resturant onsite. Close to many attractions and the airport yet you have the feeling of being miles away.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Carrie A
Reviewed February 28, 2010

I have stayed at this property many times for work. Arriving at the Island Palms is the highlight of my work in San Diego. You can take in the grand views of this beautiful city without leaving your room or balcony. Great beds and large bathrooms are like being at home. I prefer rooms with a Marina view but the rooms facing the Harbor and city skyline are equally impressive. The staff (Danny/Kaiser) go out of their way to know your name and follow up once you check in. They truly seem to want to make your stay as nice as possible. I highly recommend this property to anyone considering visiting San Diego. It is very close to all the main attractions of the south county.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank SBPlantMan
Reviewed February 26, 2010

My boyfriend and I had a great time at the Best Western Island Palms Hotel. We had rented a car so the location was perfect! It was a few minutes from every location - Gaslamp Quarter, Downtown SD, San Diego Zoo, Sea World, Old Town, etc. The hotel large and is made up of a few buildings. We stayed in the Casa Marina building, which was at the end of the hotel. It was the newest section of the building and was all modern and clean. Our balcony overlooked the marina and the hills on the other side. The sunsets from our balcony were beautiful and the sunrises from right across the street were also beautiful. I would definitely recommend this hotel!

Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CeresaD
Reviewed February 25, 2010

Great staff, excellent room, great location! On the Harbor with stunning views.

Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family