4,049 results
All reviewscasa del mar buildingblue wavefishing piernavy shipspoint lomajunior suitewalking pathwater viewhotel restauranttennis courtshot tubfull kitchenshort driveclose to the airportsea worldcoffee makerthe san diego area
Reviewed December 9, 2009

What a great surprise we got when we arrived ! We stayed in the Casa del Mar section which is more recent. This is such a nice motel type hotel for a Best Western... a notch above what we are use to !

Our room was large and nicely decorated. We also got free parking and free internet. Water is on both side of the hotel : the bay side with a view of Downtown San Diego quite nice at night and the marina side. A boardwalk goes on both sides. Across the street there is a small playground. The Casa del Mar's heated pool and jacuzzi are right along side the Marina.

The location is also great. Not a lot of traffic at night since we are at the end of the Island. Not far from the ocean, downtown San Diego, Old town, Sea World and the zoo. Really close to the airport without hearing any noise from the plane from our room.

With AAA we got a wonderful deal for 99$ for all this... unbelievable !!!
Even for a little more per night we would come back here anytime !!!

1  Thank plannerHaolic
Reviewed December 8, 2009

My daughter and I stayed here while doing a college tour of nearby Pt. Loma University. We picked it based on location and price.

I must say that this hotel has one of the friendliest staffs (from phone reservationists to front desk people to restaurant workers, maid service, etc.) that I have ever dealt with. I was very impressed with everyone. The hotel sits on Shelter Island on a strand backing onto a boat marina and across the street from a fishing bay, so there is water on both sides. There are three sections, all styled differently. It looks like they were once three separate motels which have all been combined now. We stayed in the "Island Palms" section which had a Polynesian flair and decor. The lobby and restaurant are in this section, so it was convenient for us. The rooms were motel style with openings to the outside. We opted for a non-view room, since we knew we'd be arriving late at night and leaving early in the morning. The view rooms look out over the boat marina--some have little patios on the ground floor.

Our room was very small and rather dark, but comfortable. The most impressive part was the bathroom--it was very nicely decorated with good amenities. The bedding was okay--not luxurious, but not scuzzy by any means! My main complaint would be the heating/cooling system. It was noisy and didn't seem to have an automatic thermostat. It was either ON full blast or off. The decor was rather blah at first glance, but grew on me as I noticed many of the themed little touches. With better lighting, it may have impressed me more immediately.

We had free internet access, cable tv, coffeemaker, blowdryer and free parking. The area is nice for walking, looking at the boats, watching the fishermen and enjoying the lovely views.

There was a lovely pool area with a Tiki bar and an onsite restaurant. I was disappointed that there was no free or discounted breakfast, but we ate there anyway. The food was fine, nothing extraordinary, but in a nice setting with views of the marina. There was outdoor seating, also, but it was too cool in the morning to sit out there this time of year.

I would recommend this hotel for a nice relaxing visit to San Diego. The price was good, and the location was lovely. I would opt for a larger room next time, however.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Terri M
Reviewed November 30, 2009

Very very nice surroundings for walks with marina or bay view within max 2 min. walk from ALL rooms. The hotel is a bit of a motel style with parking lots directly to the door.

The room was small, but clean. Bathroom size was fine. Bathroom was new and modern. Bed sheets were new and towels looked good.

The room can be noisy if you stay during the weekend. Thin walls and doors (even a hole under it from outside, where air and bugs can come in). You can also hear your above neighbours if you live on the ground floor, so ask for a room on the 2nd floor (there are only 2 floors). And you can certainly hear housekeeping rolling their vagons just outside your doors - they are loud.

No restaurants close by, only at the hotel (we didn't find it charming), but there is a fridge in the room (actually it's placed in the bathroom!).

2 swimming pools (+ 2 spa pools), but very small. But you overlook the marina - very nice!

Free parking, free internet.

Considering the price (around 130 USD on a weekend I think), I would search for smth. else. Can warmly recommend Pacific terrace hotel 20min. away from this place. It's VERY VERY nice, definatelly value for money - very big rooms and outstanding location with direct view to the ocean!

1  Thank ltagne
Reviewed November 16, 2009

Perfect hotel for a short getaway. We stayed here for 5 nights and let me tell you, we were really getting use to waking up to the beautiful marina! Service was great - always courteous and helpful. Pool was awesome especially for a late night dip. Food at the Blue Wave was really good - by that I mean breakfast - we didn't have time to eat there for lunch/dinner. Room was spacious and clean. Bed was very comfortable. Location can't be beat - beautiful scenery and close to all attractions.

Would I stay here again? Most definitely!

1  Thank Hiro_Jen
Reviewed November 15, 2009

We had flowen from Sydney that day, and after a 12 hour flight, we arrived at the Island Palms 5 hours to early to check in....but they saw how tired we were, and gave us 2 rooms on the spot! I loved the hotel - from exceptional service, great food, and great location, there was no complaints from us. We had booked 2 rooms, one being a marina view. I had read on a previous review that people were upset with Winnebagos blocking their water views, but the reality is - if you book a Marina View room, there is no road to block the views, so they had obviously booked the cheap rooms looking over the other side of Shelter Island, and not true Marina View rooms.

Check In - the friendliest staff you could imagine, whos sole interest was you, the client.
Rooms - huge, comfy, HUGE TV, beds - soft, expensive bed linens - can't believe its a Best Western. Its a 5 star in my view, not 3 and a half.
Restaurant - great food, varied, with a childrens menu available.
Staff - Everyone from check in to room maids made us feel special.
Overall - a wonderful experience, in a hotel that was close to Seaworld, the Zoo and other attractions. Very peaceful as well.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family