“Beautiful area to stay in”

Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina
Ranked #20 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived. I had read the reviews, especially the one about the 'cupboard under the stairs' and wanted to cancel, but it was too late, so I went anyway. It was a nice stay. The area is beautiful, the room I got was an upgrade to a suite which was nice...a bit over the top for a single person, but it was nice. The only issue I had was when I got into the room it smelled of cigarette smoke..and the hotel advertises that there is a $250 fine if someone smokes as they are all non-smoking rooms. I was too tired to complain after a 22 hr flight/layover from Bahrain via Dubai to LAX to San Diego. I survived the night. Room was clean. Bathroom was great, big step in shower a plus. There are screens on the windows and the weather was nice to open the windows. Across the street is the bay area with sailing boats and the US Naval ships go thru the bay. There is a Shelter Island Marina on the other side of the Hotel/motel. The bed was comfortable and there was a kitchenette/microwave, refridge etc. I would stay there again. The area has a lot of restaurants and they have their own which had a nice breakfast menu. The 3 ducks standing outside the rooms was a nice touch...I think they were looking for food...as they did not move when you walked by them. Smart birds!! Nice place to stay.

Room Tip: You can stay facing the bay (parking lot too) or the backside is the Marina which is nice to look ou...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Nancy H
Write a ReviewReviews (3,797)

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I was initially booked at the Kona Kai Resort for a conference however due to overbooking on their part, I was moved with other to the location next door. I was initially disappointed as to how would a Best Western compare to the resort images I had seen online? Lucky for me, I was bumped! The Island Palms was a delight as I received a room across from the marina, with a little patio and the room was recently renovated. It was fresh, clean and a short walk from the conference. The front desk was efficient and friendly. Late night food and breakfast was good, meeting expectations. It was a perfect fit and after seeing the tired Kona Kai for conference activities, I was glad to be at the Island Palms. Make sure you go down the street to the Bali Hai for cocktails or dinner at sunset.

Room Tip: I checked in with a co worker, she was assigned a room facing the parking lot, not the marina and th...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank 1ARFer
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Beautiful hotel on the Shelter Bay Marina with a fantastic restaurant overlooking the marina view and hillside. Sparkling clear pools kept at a perfect temperature and lovely seaside décor in the rooms.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view, some on the 1st floor don't have one.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2013

This hotel's pictures on the net are deceiving. It is an old, dark brown, wooden sided building, that does not encourage confidence when you pull in. It smelled like mildew in the lobby. The staff was completely inefficient and overwhelmed at check-in. We asked for a view room with 2 queens. We were put in a room so small in a dark corridor that we called it the "cupboard under the stairs", With no view and 2 double beds. We were given keys twice that didn't work, and the "maintenance man" had to come put a new battery in the lock before we could even get in. Then we went to rent a movie and it crashed 3 times. The maintenance man tried to fix it too, to no avail. Then we opened the roll away bed and found dirty sheets and bugs! They offered us a coupon off of their restaurant. Uhhh...no. Needless to say, we checked out as soon as we saw bugs. I do not recommend this hotel at all. Oh, and the restaurant staff was under staffed and indifferent. NOT a nice visit!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Janice C
wjorman, General Manager at Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Janice,

We are extremely sorry for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. We had significant chances to make things right and missed each opportunity. We should have handled this much better, by maintaining door lock batteries, checking the condition of the roll away bed prior to putting it into your room and finding a better way to apologize than with a restaurant coupon.

We believed our staffing levels were adequate for the summer and holiday periods, but have enlisted feedback from our own staff as well as listening to our guests, to determine where changes need to be made. Additionally, we are reviewing the pictures on our website and those with online travel agency websites, to ensure that all are correct and our guests are viewing an accurate description of our rooms.

Thank you for the time you spent responding and we will continue to strive to do a better job of taking care of our guest’s concerns.

Bob Levine

Reviewed July 4, 2013

just finishing our last night of a 3 night stay here. We come to SD for 4th every year with family, and have stayed up and down Shelter Island and this is our favorite hotel so far. We rented a one room suite for me, my girlfriend and our two children. Overall the room is very nice and am happy. My friends rented a junior suite, and there room is nice and large too, they just don't have a full size kitchen like we do. They have a bar kitchen, but they have a dining table, so its hard to decide. for the less money, I would probably get the junior suite over the 1 bedroom suite.
PROS:

IF you know Shelter Island, its perfect. Great location for tourism to San Diego, as the beaches, OB,PB,MBSUnset cliffs, are all about a 5-10 minute drive. Sea world is only about 10-15 minutes away, and downtown gaslamp in maybe 10 minutes.... So very nice there.
if youre in the original building, the floors transfer a lot of noise, I felt bad for the people below us as my keeps ran around, you could just tell it was noisy. The newer buildings did not have that issue.
Free internet, free parking
Free towels at the pool
Friendly staff

CONS
water pressure is miserable!!! the showers have the horrible oxygen mixture shower heads which just make the pressure even worse.

That's all the cons I got....

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Clyde_Betts
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Terrible stay! People next door were partying too loud. Maintenance worker knocked on our door and entered our room at 2 am because of a clogged toilet. We told him we did not call about a clogged toilet. Oops! Next night a loud banging noise woke us up. It was coming from the electrical room. Called the front desk and said they couldn't do anything about it until the morning - about 4 hours later! To top it off we had items stolen from our room. A football jersey and a sweatshirt. When we told the manager that the maintenance worker and housekeepers were the only people to enter our room he was not sympathetic at all. Would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Karen K
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We did a lot of research to find affordable hotels for our stay in San Diego, and this looked too good to be true, but it was fantastic!

This was a 5 star hotel at an affordable price. The rooms are big, and beautifully decorated in a breezy seaside style, furnished generously with chairs, lots of counter space for "stuff", plenty of towels and toiletries. Bright and airy, with plantation shutters instead of heavy curtains. It is located across from a lovely long park along the water, with beach, a pier, picnic areas and a path the length of it, with wonderful views of the water and the city skyline. It's convenient to area attractions.

Staff was friendly, service was flawless. The pool area is attractive with a view of the marina. Everything was spotlessly clean. The grounds are very attractively landscaped.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple