“The cupboard under the stairs”

Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina
Ranked #20 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed July 5, 2013

This hotel's pictures on the net are deceiving. It is an old, dark brown, wooden sided building, that does not encourage confidence when you pull in. It smelled like mildew in the lobby. The staff was completely inefficient and overwhelmed at check-in. We asked for a view room with 2 queens. We were put in a room so small in a dark corridor that we called it the "cupboard under the stairs", With no view and 2 double beds. We were given keys twice that didn't work, and the "maintenance man" had to come put a new battery in the lock before we could even get in. Then we went to rent a movie and it crashed 3 times. The maintenance man tried to fix it too, to no avail. Then we opened the roll away bed and found dirty sheets and bugs! They offered us a coupon off of their restaurant. Uhhh...no. Needless to say, we checked out as soon as we saw bugs. I do not recommend this hotel at all. Oh, and the restaurant staff was under staffed and indifferent. NOT a nice visit!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Janice C
wjorman, General Manager at Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Janice,

We are extremely sorry for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. We had significant chances to make things right and missed each opportunity. We should have handled this much better, by maintaining door lock batteries, checking the condition of the roll away bed prior to putting it into your room and finding a better way to apologize than with a restaurant coupon.

We believed our staffing levels were adequate for the summer and holiday periods, but have enlisted feedback from our own staff as well as listening to our guests, to determine where changes need to be made. Additionally, we are reviewing the pictures on our website and those with online travel agency websites, to ensure that all are correct and our guests are viewing an accurate description of our rooms.

Thank you for the time you spent responding and we will continue to strive to do a better job of taking care of our guest’s concerns.

Bob Levine

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina

Reviewed July 4, 2013

just finishing our last night of a 3 night stay here. We come to SD for 4th every year with family, and have stayed up and down Shelter Island and this is our favorite hotel so far. We rented a one room suite for me, my girlfriend and our two children. Overall the room is very nice and am happy. My friends rented a junior suite, and there room is nice and large too, they just don't have a full size kitchen like we do. They have a bar kitchen, but they have a dining table, so its hard to decide. for the less money, I would probably get the junior suite over the 1 bedroom suite.
PROS:

IF you know Shelter Island, its perfect. Great location for tourism to San Diego, as the beaches, OB,PB,MBSUnset cliffs, are all about a 5-10 minute drive. Sea world is only about 10-15 minutes away, and downtown gaslamp in maybe 10 minutes.... So very nice there.
if youre in the original building, the floors transfer a lot of noise, I felt bad for the people below us as my keeps ran around, you could just tell it was noisy. The newer buildings did not have that issue.
Free internet, free parking
Free towels at the pool
Friendly staff

CONS
water pressure is miserable!!! the showers have the horrible oxygen mixture shower heads which just make the pressure even worse.

That's all the cons I got....

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Clyde_Betts
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Terrible stay! People next door were partying too loud. Maintenance worker knocked on our door and entered our room at 2 am because of a clogged toilet. We told him we did not call about a clogged toilet. Oops! Next night a loud banging noise woke us up. It was coming from the electrical room. Called the front desk and said they couldn't do anything about it until the morning - about 4 hours later! To top it off we had items stolen from our room. A football jersey and a sweatshirt. When we told the manager that the maintenance worker and housekeepers were the only people to enter our room he was not sympathetic at all. Would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Karen K
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We did a lot of research to find affordable hotels for our stay in San Diego, and this looked too good to be true, but it was fantastic!

This was a 5 star hotel at an affordable price. The rooms are big, and beautifully decorated in a breezy seaside style, furnished generously with chairs, lots of counter space for "stuff", plenty of towels and toiletries. Bright and airy, with plantation shutters instead of heavy curtains. It is located across from a lovely long park along the water, with beach, a pier, picnic areas and a path the length of it, with wonderful views of the water and the city skyline. It's convenient to area attractions.

Staff was friendly, service was flawless. The pool area is attractive with a view of the marina. Everything was spotlessly clean. The grounds are very attractively landscaped.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank homebydawn
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Lots of individual attention from Danny & Kyle at the front desk and Jeff in the bar. Resort was clean, updated and had fantastic views of the marina and water. Great area and close to everything. 10+

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank Virgil Lee H
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My name is Candice Vega and I recently stayed at the Best Western Plus in San Diego, California. This is my very first letter addressing a corporation which means, I was impressed beyond filling out a simple survey to convey my satisfaction. I was amazed and impressed by the staff and the rooms.

Please allow me to explain in detail my family vacation ordeal and express to you how happy your organization made each and every one of my family members including my 6 year old son who referred to our room at the Best Western as “HOME SWEET HOTEL”. We travel to San Diego every year because it is our favorite vacation destination. This year, we included a two-day hopper at LEGOLAND for the first time. I was trying to budget this vacation as best I could and decided to stay two nights in Oceanside close to LEGOLAND at the Ramada and two nights at the Kona Kai in San Diego. We’ve never stayed at either place before so we really had no idea what our experience would be like until we arrived at the Ramada on June 24th 2012. There was no room for our kids to be kids and it was not what we expected. There was a horrible smell in the room and the TV and internet didn’t work. We desperately wanted out of there and did not know where to go at 4pm in the afternoon. My husband suggested I call The Best Western because they have reasonable rates. From the moment I called the 800 number, our vacation changed and turned out to be one of the greatest experiences and the memories we cherish include your Hotel and staff. We want you to know that we are really impressed with the quality and service your company provided us.

I wish I knew who it was that helped book the two nights (June 24 and 25th) at your hotel but I do not. All I know is that I pleaded with her to save me and my family from where we were and she hooked us up! One night in a room with two queen beds and another night in a suite. It was manager’s special or something. When we arrived at your hotel, the staff that checked us in was so friendly and down to earth. They informed us that we would not have to worry about moving our luggage to the new room the following day. They told us to go ahead and enjoy LEGOLAND and when we return, just pick up the key to the new room.

By the time we got to our room we were tired. Tired from an 8 hour drive with two small children, unloading and reloading our luggage from the Ramada to the Best Western but when we opened the door to our room we were thrilled!! Everything was clean and fresh! The room was beautiful and my husband and I were just so happy. If we could have given that room a hug, we would have. After a good night sleep, we woke up and went to LEGOLAND for the day and just as the staff promised, our luggage had been moved to a suite. The suite was over the top above anything I expected. There was plenty of room for my kids to play; we had a dining room, a kitchen, etc. Everything was so beautiful and clean and I cannot tell you how happy we were and how we felt. We felt special! Our stay was amazing and we were sad to check out and move to the Kona Kai where I had previously booked two nights. With great hesitation and reluctance, we packed up our things and moved. The Kona Kai charged seventeen dollars a day for parking! I was outraged by that and let them know The Best Western did not charge us to park our vehicle. We walked into our room and the carpets were soaked. I guess they cleaned them but did not soak up the water very well so we laid down towels on the floor just to walk around. The room was also quite small for my rambunctious boys but I figured we would make due. The next morning, I decided to take a walk to the Best Western and tell them how pleased I was with their outstanding service and that my family and I missed them and were sad we had to move. Danny Cozart suggested we come back but I was afraid I would be charged some sort of cancelation or early check out fee from the Kona Kai. He said it would not hurt to try and if I wanted to come back there would be a room ready for me and my family! I must say that I literally ran to the Kona Kai and checked out immediately! My husband and I had to once again, pack all of our things and our kids and move! We both really did not mind because we knew it was worth the effort. With sweat dripping off of us and all the hustle and bustle, I decided to extend our vacation an extra day so we booked two extra nights at the Best Western so that we could get some much needed rest and relaxation. Danny Cozart sent a staff member to our room with a plate of chocolate cookies and a carafe of milk with a card signed by all of the staff at the front desk that read “WELCOME BACK”. This particular gesture struck me as kind and thoughtful and made my family feel so very special! I cherish this card and will save it. The way your company and staff conducted business on such a personal level has forever changed our vacation plans. We will never again stay anywhere else but the Best Western. I sure hope all Best Westerns put a high value on customer service as your location does. You are now my family’s home away from home.

"Thank you" does not adequately express my gratitude, so please accept this letter and know that I'll be sharing my story with friends and family and other vacationers on Trip Advisor.

Please note the following staff members that did a phenomenal job during our stay….

Danny Cozart
Ray Grizzle
Kyle Gordon

Sincerely satisfied customer,

Candice Vega

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Candice M
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We were there in November 2012 for 3 nights. Stayed in the Casa Del Mar building. Beautiful
view of the marina with great balcony. Gorgeous at night with all the lights. Room was very
clean, spacious and nicely appointed. Just as pictured! We booked again this past March 2013.
With five of us this time we were in the Island Palm suites. Again with a view of the marina.
Only problem we had was housekeeping forgetting we had a kitchen and would need a new
towel (s) every day. Plenty of towels in bathroom. We have recommended this hotel to co-
workers that have never been to San Diego. So far this year two separate parties
have booked at Island Palms because of our experience. Very lush tropical surroundings with
two very nice pools. Great customer service at the front desk. Good experience all around.

Room Tip: Stay on the Marina side. Bay side view is looking at a parking lot and road before you see the bay...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family